Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Shipping 'Stuff' Philippines to UK

An acquaintance of my mine has decided to move back to the UK after retiring here only 2 years ago

I don't know all his reasons but he claims his pension doesn't support him and his wife in the way he wants. He's also confided he doesn't get on at all with her family.

I do feel him really as I know he has struggled to settle down to his new life too.

I still say retirement and relocation can be problematic for quite a few unless you have a plan on how to fill your time.
    It's important IMHO to find something worthwhile to do that you enjoy. The rest will come as long as you keep an open mind.

He says he's spent the last few weeks looking for a reasonable cost to ship stuff back to UK but can't find any.
    Like me he shipped loads of stuff here in BB boxes then used a speciality pallet shipping company for big items.

Seems like it's very difficult to find a reasonable cost shipper.

Anyway he's telling me he wishes he hadn't shipped all his stuff.

The moral of his tale seems to be don't ship every single item you own if there's a chance you'll be returning. Well unless you've got deep pockets.

Families who will have them hey.
    A few good problems he seems to have found.
    Pension not going as far.
    Families not getting on with.
    Moving to the other side of the world too.
    Two years don't seem long to give it a go but then again 2 weeks could be long enough to hate some where.
    Families well we all have them and i am sure we all have someone we are not keen on could be a few too.
    But it's about compromise, i am sure you could except folk in little stages,
    What about his wife what does she think.
    When we make our move i would like to think everything will be smooth, but i am sure it will not go that way, i am sure there will be days of thinking " what the hell have i done". But i am also sure there will be times when i have to pinch myself too thinking how lucky I am.
    Emma and I have decided to take so much with us for now, there will be no big things just suitcases plus all my camera stuff, everything else will stay here.
    Sometimes your dream can be a nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    Emma and I have decided to take so much with us for now, there will be no big things just suitcases plus all my camera stuff, everything else will stay here.
    Sometimes your dream can be a nightmare
    Very wise IMHO

Although setting up house can get frighteningly expensive.

The house is all done for the father and brother, the upstairs is a dry weather proof shell, it needs light fittings ,shower room and bedroom, flooring, painting and false ceiling, the budget i have put aside is £6000
    This will be for soft furnishings too.
    I plan to try to do lots of work myself, and i am going to put lots of oversize pictures on the plain walls, most of all my photographs i have taken these will be.
    This is the plan plus it's not a great deal of money if it's going to be our home, but if it's not going to be our home forever ,well i can afford to walk away from that amount and not have to worry

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    I still say retirement and relocation can be problematic for quite a few
    ... one of THE BEST things I ever did - apart from marrying Myrna, of course - was to retire!

Relocation elsewhere would, on the other hand ... ... be a daunting prospect for the likes of me - after living at the same address for close~on 50 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    ... one of THE BEST things I ever did - apart from marrying Myrna, of course - was to retire!

Relocation elsewhere would, on the other hand ... ... be a daunting prospect for the likes of me - after living at the same address for close~on 50 years now.
    That could be a problem for many, it's being use to where you are.
    The biggest problem for me is adjusting to no more work no more chained to a routine but after 40+ years that's going to take some doing, plus not wanting to do everything at once.
    That's why leaving the house as it is and that will give us both something to do together.
    I am excited, i am nervous, i am ready, i am not ready. I am bloody knacked though.

Of course emigrating wont suit everyone, some will settle far more easy than others, I think its the nature of the beast of who we are personally, Of course financial considerations will play a big part for everyone, location to will play a big part in those financial considerations, I found and i stand to be corrected here, that for someone living in Manila the cost of living is almost the same as the Uk, whereas living in Bukidnon as an example its much less, 10.000php goes much further in the provinces,I realise lifestyle also plays a part in that.
    This was why last year, i spent 6 months not only sightseeing, but weighing up various aspects of living in the Philippines, Peter is also correct when he says it also depends how you spend your time, i would think spending time Touring, sightseeing is eventually going to come to an end, there are only so many Pics that one can take .
    I think this is where Jan and myself get on so well, she has a big family, but except for mixing with immediate family around home ie Ma & her sister she doesnt get involved with the family or neighbours. For me i dont have a massive amount of stuff that i would move to Phills, i would like to move some DIY gear there, but then again its probably cheaper to buy the kind of gear i would like, when i am there.

Like you say what suits one does not suit another so no one can knock anyone for dreaming or infact living the dream .
    It's all about being content with where you think you would like to be.
    I can assure anyone that taking a picture and getting the shot could be a life times work if that is what the person is wanting to do, but i am sure the wife will have a say in that.
    Boots on the ground and a budget for all that you are wanting , it's not much to ask for.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry T View Post
    I found and i stand to be corrected here, that for someone living in Manila the cost of living is almost the same as the Uk, whereas living in Bukidnon as an example its much less, 10.000php goes much further in the provinces,I realise lifestyle also plays a part in that
    Generally, that's correct but what most folks call Manila is really NCR comprising many cities. Not all cities are expensive.
    Marikina City is just a stones throw from Quezon City but the costs of living can be significantly more.
    Even Quezon City isn't anywhere near as high as London.

Since living here in Marikina City we can say the costs of water, LPG gas, Electricity and transportation is less than Davao
    Groceries and homewear is the same for us as we used to shop at SM or Savemore quite often.

Getting fresh veggies and fruits at the local market was much much cheaper and better quality in Davao.
    Seafoods is about the same price but the selection and range is much better in Davao.

Now, when left Davao to spend time with the family ComVal the difference in cost of living was massive. Means unbelievably cheap.
    Sadly the choices were much less, but a bus ride to Tagum City was often a nice day out to replenish stocks......at much higher prices though.

Lifestyle choices count significantly.

We've some travels planned for April going up North Luzon to Vigan and surrounding areas.
    In May we'll be going to Caramoan and in July/August to Davao and ComVal to be with family.

The Philippines has so many beautiful places to experience and whilst I'm still able I want to enjoy. It's not too expensive but depends how you travel around.
    Filipinos can be great travellers on little money

we put an awful lot of importance on our material belongings wether it be its value or sentimentality,

when really material things have no importance, most can be bought or replaced again,,

i offloaded almost everything i had when 1st going to phils , with just a carry on and 1 suitcase for the cargo hold, plus 2 balakbayan boxes, totaling to a speck of dust to what i had, when i left philippines , i had 2 small boxes i sent by phil post plus a suitcase, considerably reduced my worldly material collection again, i am important my health my wife my family and my life, nothing else has any value

Generally, that's correct but what most folks call Manila is really NCR comprising many cities. Not all cities are expensive.
    Marikina City is just a stones throw from Quezon City but the costs of living can be significantly more.
    Even Quezon City isn't anywhere near as high as London.

Since living here in Marikina City we can say the costs of water, LPG gas, Electricity and transportation is less than Davao
    Groceries and homewear is the same for us as we used to shop at SM or Savemore quite often.

Getting fresh veggies and fruits at the local market was much much cheaper and better quality in Davao.
    Seafoods is about the same price but the selection and range is much better in Davao.

Now, when left Davao to spend time with the family ComVal the difference in cost of living was massive. Means unbelievably cheap.
    Sadly the choices were much less, but a bus ride to Tagum City was often a nice day out to replenish stocks......at much higher prices though.

Lifestyle choices count significantly.

We've some travels planned for April going up North Luzon to Vigan and surrounding areas.
    In May we'll be going to Caramoan and in July/August to Davao and ComVal to be with family.

The Philippines has so many beautiful places to experience and whilst I'm still able I want to enjoy. It's not too expensive but depends how you travel around.
    Filipinos can be great travellers on little money
    All i can go on is what Emma tells me, i have been lead up the garden path by some folk telling me this and that but you soon realize they are telling you fibs.
    Emma says we will be fine on what I said she will have, and there will be spare for our vacations and other nice things.
    It's good to hear others say it is a little cheaper in marikina too.

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    we put an awful lot of importance on our material belongings wether it be its value or sentimentality,

when really material things have no importance, most can be bought or replaced again,,

i offloaded almost everything i had when 1st going to phils , with just a carry on and 1 suitcase for the cargo hold, plus 2 balakbayan boxes, totaling to a speck of dust to what i had, when i left philippines , i had 2 small boxes i sent by phil post plus a suitcase, considerably reduced my worldly material collection again, i am important my health my wife my family and my life, nothing else has any value
    So true but a little cash helps wonders

Stuart Can i ask what made you return back to the UK .

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    Stuart Can i ask what made you return back to the UK .
    it started when i heard there would be a referendem to leave europe, within the next 2 weeks of hearing this, i discovered there was the ss route,

so i figured if i was ever to be able to return to uk with Lolita it had to be now, so i figured pros and cons, food,health differences ect , and decided to do it,

to be honest as things are, the rules and laws have been changing while doing all this, so it has not proven an easy option, and often i wonder why perhaps i should have stayed in phils, anyway iv decided to give up on uk, its still under EU law but the gov is breaking them,taking away rights of british citizen, they HO is refusing many applications for RC for little or no reason, knowing many cant afford to appeal , those re applying after refusal will be on new rules, this means they can not appeal from within uk anymore and will have to return home, or be arrested and removed, i know uk needs better imigration laws , but when your gov breaks excisting laws and takes away human rights, conservatives as always, then its time to quit. we may go back to ireland we have jobs lined up to manage 2 guest houses there, but myself i think id rather go back to phils

Thanks Stuart .
    It must be so hard thinking and planning what should be a right for yourself and your partner, then having to jump through every thing they are saying you must, and for what, no guarantee.
    I feel for you both.
    You have two good choices there , its making the right one that may be tricky.

A lot of truth in what you say Stuart.
    When we left UK we gave huge amounts of stuff away. When I look back just unbelievable really. Thousands of pounds worth.

To be honest we wanted a new life with a new begining doing just what we wanted.
    Despite having the house and condo in Manila NCR we took a gamble to relocate in Davao simply to be within reach of family.
    It was a very worthwhile experience in so many ways

As is often the case our plans came full circle and here we are in Marikina.
    I'm uplifting the house always and the Condo has been fully refurbished.
    We decided not to rent it out after hearing a few horror stories. The amount of rent isn't that important for us..........YET

Most of what folks own is just that...stuff. Can easily be lived without.
    I've done that a couple of times in my life actually.
    Peace and contentment are all we need

Most of what folks own is just that...stuff. Can easily be lived without.
    I've done that a couple of times in my life actually.
    Peace and contentment are all we need

Together with a cold SMB

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Together with a cold SMB
    Agree with that

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Together with a cold SMB
    Agree with that

we put an *awful lot of importance on our material belongings ...
    ... and I'll agree with *that! Stewart has "hit the nail on the head".

Happiness, contentment, peace of mind ... surely these ought to be our MAIN priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    ... and I'll agree with *that! Stewart has "hit the nail on the head".

Happiness, contentment, peace of mind ... surely these ought to be our MAIN priorities.
    And dont forget the little cash we all need.

Thread Information