Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Visa for wife to join me in UK

We are finally married...so what now? I know that she needs a visa to come here but which one? Can somebody please tell me which one it is and where to apply? Also, I know that she will need to complete an ILETS exam...can you also let me know which level she needs to take and where to apply for this also? Finally I will list the documents we will prepare to send in with the application (in rough order that they will be presented) to support her application. Can somebody please review and let me know if I have missed anyting important off the list. Many thanks.

Identity and Civil Status

• NBI Clearance
    • Copy of Birth Certificate

Passport and Passport Copy

• Original Passport showing her married name
    • Copy of Passport showing married name
    • Original Passport showing her maiden name and visit visa from her trips to the UK where I proposed

Proof of English Language Skills

• ILETS Certificate

Accomodation when Living in UK

• Letter from my parents saying we can stay with them for 3 months until we find and rent our own place
    • Copy of the title deed to the house showing my parents own it.

Sponsor Details

• Copy of My Passport (including copies of all my entry stamps to Philippines)
    • Copy of birth certificate
    • Cover Letter
    • Electoral Roll Letter to confirm Address
    • Employment contract
    • Proof of finances including savings
    • P60's for last 3 years to show I earn above £18,600

Proof of Relationship

• Photographs (including our first meeting in Philippines, visits to England and Scotland, meeting each others parents, wedding and so on)
    • Marriage certificate

When we had the visit visa applications we include information on her job, savings and her flight tickets for return to the Philippines but I imagine these kind of things aren't relevant for this kind of visa are they? Is there anything else I need to include??

Thanks everyone. We want to get started on this as soon as possible so that we can be together again.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Spouse Visa

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Spouse Visa
    Thanks Michael.

Step by step is the way.

Don't get concerned about submitting documents which are really not required.
    They will just be ignored and put aside without scrutiny.
    The application will be quite full of mandatory documents and supporting evidence without unnecessary complications of irrelevant which often cause confusion and unwarranted attention.

The first step is to review the details of the "Application to join family living permanently in the UK£

Here's the webpage for that:-
    https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/apply

This application must be made online.
    I'd advise setting up an application and practice getting it completed checking off the needed evidential supporting documents as you come to them.

If you like to see the hard copy application forms and guides you can do that here:-
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ent-form-vaf4a

Best strategy is to work through the form collecting the documents needed.
    Don't waste time on stuff you don't need.
    For example, 3 years of P60's isn't needed and certainly will not be a deciding factor.
    Your wife's job, family connections, ties and savings will not be needed unless the application will be critically dependent upon savings.

Work through the forms.
    You'll need an NSO Marriage Certificate so start the process to get one if you haven't done so already

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Step by step is the way.

Don't get concerned about submitting documents which are really not required.
    They will just be ignored and put aside without scrutiny.
    The application will be quite full of mandatory documents and supporting evidence without unnecessary complications of irrelevant which often cause confusion and unwarranted attention.

The first step is to review the details of the "Application to join family living permanently in the UK£

Here's the webpage for that:-
    https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/apply

This application must be made online.
    I'd advise setting up an application and practice getting it completed checking off the needed evidential supporting documents as you come to them.

If you like to see the hard copy application forms and guides you can do that here:-
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ent-form-vaf4a

Best strategy is to work through the form collecting the documents needed.
    Don't waste time on stuff you don't need.
    For example, 3 years of P60's isn't needed and certainly will not be a deciding factor.
    Your wife's job, family connections, ties and savings will not be needed unless the application will be critically dependent upon savings.

Work through the forms.
    You'll need an NSO Marriage Certificate so start the process to get one if you haven't done so already
    Thanks Terpe, that helps. We don't have the NSO Marriage Certificate yet as it is still processing and could take a few more months yet...I imagine thats one of the last things we will be able to collect. If I don't need P60's then what is the best way to prove my income??

Quote Originally Posted by ssbib View Post
    If I don't need P60's then what is the best way to prove my income??
    You really need go review the links I provided.
    You'll also discover the UKVI Financial Requirement FM section 1.7
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...equirement.pdf

All your financial questions answered.

One step at a time.

Thanks Terpe, that helps. We don't have the NSO Marriage Certificate yet as it is still processing and could take a few more months yet...I imagine thats one of the last things we will be able to collect.
    So you didn't follow the expedite procedure.

You really need go review the links I provided.
    You'll also discover the UKVI Financial Requirement FM section 1.7
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...equirement.pdf

All your financial questions answered.

One step at a time.
    So you didn't follow the expedite procedure.
    Thanks for the reading material, I will have a look at the weekend. I am still suffering after the journey home and don't have the energy to go through it all now as it looks like a chunky read. I didn't know there was an expedited procure available, it wasn't mentioned to us at the town hall. I'll get my wife to ask when she has the time, maybe we can do something to get it sorted before then. I don't know if it will make much difference anyway as I think it's going to take us a while to get the rest of the paperwork together and do the ILETS exam.

Also, my wife is wondering if there will be an interview before she gets this visa and if so what kind of questions will they ask? Thanks in advance.

I can't remember exactly. But I do believe we got the Marriage certificate within 4-6 weeks after getting married. Apply now if I was you.
    Don't think I read on here, sure it's still a requirement. She will need a TB test.

Quote Originally Posted by Slip View Post
    I can't remember exactly. But I do believe we got the Marriage certificate within 4-6 weeks after getting married. Apply now if I was you.
    Don't think I read on here, sure it's still a requirement. She will need a TB test.
    I didn't know about the TB test, although I suppose it makes sense. How does she do this and when? Is it done before or after the visa application? If before I assume the certificate needs to be presented in the packet? Are there any other medical tests she needs to take?

Also, my wife is wondering if there will be an interview before she gets this visa and if so what kind of questions will they ask? Thanks in advance.
    There's no interview

I didn't know about the TB test, although I suppose it makes sense. How does she do this and when? Is it done before or after the visa application? If before I assume the certificate needs to be presented in the packet? Are there any other medical tests she needs to take?
    The all-clear TB certificate is a mandatory requirement as part of the visa application submission. It's validly is 6 months only so needs to be tied into the documents before expiry.

The English language requirement is also a mandatory part of the application submission

We got our visa October 2015

Please take a look at this thread.

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....to-help-others

Quote Originally Posted by cheekee View Post

Cheers, I'll have a look through that at the weekend. I've been back to work today and my head is battered.

Hi!

This is Pamela. I was granted my spouse visa last year and already in the uk. Don't forget about the english cert and the all clear Tb screening cert. Tb test cert expires after 6 months so you might wanna put that one into account.

goodluck!

Quote Originally Posted by edd View Post
    Hi!

This is Pamela. I was granted my spouse visa last year and already in the uk. Don't forget about the english cert and the all clear Tb screening cert. Tb test cert expires after 6 months so you might wanna put that one into account.

goodluck!
    Hi Pamela. Thanks for the information. Can you remember what level of ILETS exam you took, also how hard was it? Lastly, can you tell me where you went for a TB test? Did you just have to go to any medical practitioner or was there a specific one you had to use for the application?

There is only one test centre in manila that's approved for the tb test for the spouse visa.

Ielts has to be minimum life skills A1 level at an approved centre. There is a list of current approved test centres on the UKVI website.

If your wife has good English she should try and get level B1 as that'd required for ILR and means she won't need to get A2 for FLR as well

There is only one test centre in manila that's approved for the tb test for the spouse visa.

Ielts has to be minimum life skills A1 level at an approved centre. There is a list of current approved test centres on the UKVI website.

If your wife has good English she should try and get level B1 as that'd required for ILR and means she won't need to get A2 for FLR as well
    She hasn't good English so I'll get her to go for the B1. Is that the highest level there is? I thought I remembered somebody say to go for a certain level so that she doesn't have to re-test for citizenship in the future. Is that B1 also or is there one that is higher?

How can I find what he approved test centre for TB is in Manila? Does anyone have that information handy? Thanks.

There are 2 ielts life skills levels. A1 and B1. A1 is the lowest most basic and the minimum requirement for a spouse visa. B1 is harder but better as it can be used for FLR and ILR. It's up to you guys which you choose. It's pass or fail no grades. My wife's English was good but I was still nervous that she would fail. If her English is not so good maybe go for A1 for reassurance. My wife was the only one doing B1 level on the day of her test.

Check online for mock tests to see how your wife does.

There are 2 ielts life skills levels. A1 and B1. A1 is the lowest most basic and the minimum requirement for a spouse visa. B1 is harder but better as it can be used for FLR and ILR. It's up to you guys which you choose. It's pass or fail no grades. My wife's English was good but I was still nervous that she would fail. If her English is not so good maybe go for A1 for reassurance. My wife was the only one doing B1 level on the day of her test.

Check online for mock tests to see how your wife does.
    What did your wife think of the B2 test...easy or hard? Also what kind of things are they marking her on can you remember? Is it just being able to read p, understand and reply or is it more detailed and look at grammar? My wife's English is excellent but sometimes she gets hers tenses wrong when writing.

Also, can someone confirm it is the ILETS SKILLS TEST (A1 or B1) that she needs for the spousal visa? There is no other type of test required for this visa? Thanks

I was of the understanding, it was only speaking and listening thats required, a friend of mine took her B1 here in the UK, for her ILR, and she basically had to have a conversation with another candidate, and they were both marked by a person that was listening to the conversation.. of course in Phills it may be different.

Also, can someone confirm it is the ILETS SKILLS TEST (A1 or B1) that she needs for the spousal visa? There is no other type of test required for this visa? Thanks
    It's very important to review the UKVI webpage called "Apply to join family living permanently in the UK"

Here's the link:-
    https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/overview

You'll find all the latest information and links

The section on English Language is here:-
    https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk...dge-of-english

The current tests and test centres are listed here:-
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...st_Centres.pdf
    You'll find Philippines on page 11

If your wife's English is a little shaky or if she lacks a little confidence I'd suggest going for the basic A1 level then taking the higher level after she's been in UK for a while.

Under section 5 of the website you'll see a list of documents you need to submit. You'll also find details of the TB test requirement.
    Here's the link for that:-
    https://www.gov.uk/tb-test-visa
    Here's the nitty gritty guidance for TB testing in the Philippines:-
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...he-philippines
    All the requirements and all you need to know is there.

Sadly the Philippines has only 1 clinic and that's in Manila.
    The address and contact details are provided in the above link.

Something else, which is critical, is for her to attend a Guidance and Counseling Program (GCP) from the Commission on Filipinos Overseas (CFO) then secure a passport 'sticker/stamp' before leaving the country.
    She could attend either Manila or Cebu

Please do take a look at this CFO link:-
    http://www.cfo.gov.ph/gcp.html

You'll soon discover there's a good deal of documentation to put together.
    It's not difficult, and it should all be fairly easily available.
    Make a project plan and prioritise on time and validity of required submissions.
    Review the Financial requirements link I provided before and do take note that some of the supporting financial docs that need to be submitted must not be more than 28 days old. Think carefully about to secure the bank statements as many folks have found challenges.

Enjoy the weekend

It's very important to review the UKVI webpage called "Apply to join family living permanently in the UK"

Here's the link:-
    https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/overview

You'll find all the latest information and links

The section on English Language is here:-
    https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk...dge-of-english

The current tests and test centres are listed here:-
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...st_Centres.pdf
    You'll find Philippines on page 11

If your wife's English is a little shaky or if she lacks a little confidence I'd suggest going for the basic A1 level then taking the higher level after she's been in UK for a while.

Under section 5 of the website you'll see a list of documents you need to submit. You'll also find details of the TB test requirement.
    Here's the link for that:-
    https://www.gov.uk/tb-test-visa
    Here's the nitty gritty guidance for TB testing in the Philippines:-
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...he-philippines
    All the requirements and all you need to know is there.

Sadly the Philippines has only 1 clinic and that's in Manila.
    The address and contact details are provided in the above link.

Something else, which is critical, is for her to attend a Guidance and Counseling Program (GCP) from the Commission on Filipinos Overseas (CFO) then secure a passport 'sticker/stamp' before leaving the country.
    She could attend either Manila or Cebu

Please do take a look at this CFO link:-
    http://www.cfo.gov.ph/gcp.html

You'll soon discover there's a good deal of documentation to put together.
    It's not difficult, and it should all be fairly easily available.
    Make a project plan and prioritise on time and validity of required submissions.
    Review the Financial requirements link I provided before and do take note that some of the supporting financial docs that need to be submitted must not be more than 28 days old. Think carefully about to secure the bank statements as many folks have found challenges.

Enjoy the weekend
    Thanks Terpe, that's really helpful. I've got a lot of reading to be doing this weekend. I think the only problem we will face is getting the documents that are 28 days old to her. Although I suppose I can always send via email and get her to print unless they need to be originals. Can you tell me what the purpose of the CFO stamp is for? That needs to be in her passport?

Thanks Terpe, that's really helpful. I've got a lot of reading to be doing this weekend. I think the only problem we will face is getting the documents that are 28 days old to her. Although I suppose I can always send via email and get her to print unless they need to be originals. Can you tell me what the purpose of the CFO stamp is for? That needs to be in her passport?
    If anytime you need to get Documents out to the Philippines quickly, you cant beat DHL, a little expensive maybe,but very very fast

Quote Originally Posted by Harry T View Post
    If anytime you need to get Documents out to the Philippines quickly, you cant beat DHL, a little expensive maybe,but very very fast
    I second that, got my documents there within 4 days

Thanks for this, it's just the type of thing I was hoping for. I can start working my way through and collecting this information for ourselves.

One thing I am concerned about is providing evidence of "an adequate accommodation when in the country" section of the application. Our initial plan is to stay at my parents house for 3-6 months (here I currently am) until we can find a place of our own. My parents are happy with this but how can I provide it? A friend of mine, who is married to a Russian girl and has done a similar application, says getting a letter from my parents (this alone was adequate for her visit visa) and also the title deeds to the house, which they own. Is this title deed regally required or will a letter from my parents be sufficient? My parents are wary about sending copies of the title deed anywhere.

Also, I am doing some research into th IELTS test now, whether to go for A1 or B1 and it says that the results are only valid for 2 years...if this is the case then there is no point going for B1 right now is there as it will be out of date by the time we go for the ILR in the future?

Lastly, can someone point me to the right place to book this test? Where is the website?

The B1 won't be out of date. We are using my wife's B1 for her FLR application next year. The two year validity means it's valid up to two years for the initial spouse visa application

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information