Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Respected Member

Having trouble with visa for Spain need advice

wife wants to go to spain with her pinoy frinds, which all have uk passports, except her, she is on the first visa
    i have looked at the spain site and it says visa is £170, but the schgengen rules says that its free for a spouse of a uk resident
    can any one enlighten me on this pleaase
    Last edited by Arthur Little; 8th March 2017 at 13:57. Reason: Sorry - I presssed Edit instead of the 'Quote' button.

Quote Originally Posted by spurs View Post
    wife wants to go to spain with her pinoy frinds, which all have uk passports, except her, she is on the first visa
    i have looked at the spain site and it says visa is £170, but the schgengen rules says that its free for a spouse of a uk resident
    When we wanted to go to France we paid a fee , was not much at all, but we went to London for the appointment and the cost was for administration fees,
    Others have paid nothing by doing what you have mentioned , by going to the embassy.
    If it was me doing all this again, it would be me going to Spain with my wife just to make sure its all right .

wife wants to go to spain with her pinoy frinds, which all have uk passports, except her, she is on the first visa.
    ... it has been a long time since my wife needed a Schengen Visa to travel to Europe. Therefore, as the procedural rules may well have changed or ... ... be about to change, following Brexit, I'd really prefer if someone else - who's needed a Schengen in order to visit the continent more recently - were to answer your question.

Usually the applicant will travel under Schenghen rules together with their spouse.
    If this is not the case and the non-EU spouse intends to travel alone then a visa is required.

Here's the nitty gritty from the Spanish Embassy:-

Family members of EU/EEA/Spanish national
    Under Directive 2004/38/EC and according to Real Decreto 240/2007, 16 February, family members of an EU/EEA national in possession of a valid UK Residence Card specifying its condition as a family member do not require a visa to enter Spain when travelling with the EU/EEA National or joining him/her in Spain. Otherwise, a visa will be still required (Real Decreto 1161/2009, 10th July 2009). For spouses or children of Spanish Nationals the above condition applies provided that the marriage or birth is registered according with the Spanish Civil Register (original Libro de Familia).

Please note, that the UK Residence Permit must state literally that the holder is a family member of an EU/EEA National. If not, a visa is required.
    If you're not travelling with her she'll need to secure a visa.

Here's a link to the Spanish Consulate:-

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consula...sRequired.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Here's a link to the Spanish Consulate:-

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consula...sRequired.aspx
    Ah, thank you, Peter ... I had just been on the point of searching for the link to the Spanish Consulate, but note you've since posted it!

I have looked at the Spain site and *it says visa is £170, but the Schengen rules says that its free for a spouse of a UK resident.

Can any one enlighten me on this please
    *'s definitely news to me! Because, ... to the very BEST of my knowledge ... there have NOT been ANY charges introduced since the visa's inception.

Some bedtime reading here too in the Schengen Visa Handbook :-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ndbook2010.pdf

Part III on page 87 is relevant to this opening post.

Respected Member
    now that is intresting , so will just have to go and check it out, i am going to email my MP and hope he gets back to me , with the correct details of what i can do and not just a load of words

now that is intresting , so will just have to go and check it out, i am going to email my MP and hope he gets back to me , with the correct details of what i can do and not just a load of words
    Well your MP won't be able to achieve anything regarding issue of visa from Spain.
    Since you will not be travelling with her, nor joining her later she is not entitled to any free visa unless she has been issued with a Residence Card annotated in line with regulations.

She'll need to apply for a visa and she'll need to pay for it.

Which words in response to your request for enlightenment didn't you like?

Respected Member
    nothing to do with replies on here, all replies are good, and so good people take the time to help, what i meant was with the spain website, it is about as clear as mud
    thank you for all taking time to help

When we went for ours for France, it was easy and yes it cost less then £30, but that was for admin and a recorded delivery ,
    We got I think a 3 year visa for that,
    Happy days

Dont recall Harlene paying for hers when we went to Finland the other year, but off course I went with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Slip View Post
    Dont recall Harlene paying for hers when we went to Finland the other year, but off course I went with her.
    That's exactly the difference and why fees come into play when folks don't travel together

Thread Information