Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cost of living

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    This weeks shopping, orange Juice 1.65, tin of rice pudding 0.39, tin of plum tomatoes 0.34 tin of stewed steak 1.79 olive spread (butter) 0.79 milk chocolate bar 0.85 oranges 0.69 digestive biscuits 0.31 rich tea biscuits 0.29 pork belly slices 2.29 two wholemeal loaves 0.90 bramley apple pies 0.69 Total= 10.98
    What on earth is tinned stewed steak
    No veg, potatoes etc I can only see 2 very poor meals there, how can survive on that for a week

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    No veg, potatoes etc I can only see 2 very poor meals there, how can survive on that for a week
    Got my veg ect last week that will last me two weeks, look in 'Prices are going up' thread!

This weeks shopping, orange Juice 1.65, tin of rice pudding 0.39, tin of plum tomatoes 0.34 tin of stewed steak 1.79 olive spread (butter) 0.79 milk chocolate bar 0.85 oranges 0.69 digestive biscuits 0.31 rich tea biscuits 0.29 pork belly slices 2.29 two wholemeal loaves 0.90 bramley apple pies 0.69 Total= 10.98
    Again well done for trying to keep to your budget.
    When i started this thread about things going up and our bills , i was looking at my bills for the family household.
    Yes many have told us of there bills for there family too and i think most have gone up , maybe not by much.
    A family shopping for there goods today compared to last year will see a difference and i am sure we have changed our ways and are using different shops too.
    But you Michael are just buying food for yourself and not your family, so if you add what your wifey pays out each month to support her and her family the cost would rise considerably, just like our bills for our family.
    Just be careful with you shopping bill Michael you have gone over budget twice now, and thats nearly 10%.
    Plus i must say your shopping list of goodies is not my cup of tea, except the chocolate bar, digestives,rich tea and apple pies, you do seem to have a sweet tooth.
    Again i must add this is just my opinion and thoughts about this on this open forum.

As the name says ,
    When we was living at home as kids we had this and if you put a pie crust on top of this it did make a nice so called meat pie , the days when we could not afford meat for the whole family,but just for dad .
    Now days think of CHAPPIE if you can remember that

Chappie was dog food my sis spends a fortune on her dog and cat,but chappie is a thing of the past,its BARF diet or sachets of meat/jelly mix nowadays

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    Chappie was dog food my sis spends a fortune on her dog and cat,but chappie is a thing of the past,its BARF diet or sachets of meat/jelly mix nowadays
    We had dogs in our house all the time when one was old it went out that day and a new one turned up.
    Chappie was the dog food, it stunk rotten is all i can remember , yellow tins they was.
    My bro has this dog and its feed dry foods

Good boy Michael

Our dog tended to eat what we ate, well the leftovers anyway...

Good boy Michael
    Thats ruff

Right talking of food I'm off to the Chinese wholesalers in Stoke for supplies, I guarantee I will blow Michael's 3 x month budget in one.....

Quote Originally Posted by Longweekend View Post
    Right talking of food I'm off to the Chinese wholesalers in Stoke for supplies, I guarantee I will blow Michael's 3 x month budget in one.....
    You mad extavagant fool, what about your 4K tv

Had a half decent Balti the other night.
    Bought a jar of Balti sauce from M&S and garlic Naan bread from Shopwise.
    Added some extra spices and we wolfed it down between us.
    Not bad at all

These little 'treats' are not exactly cheap.
    But they do satisfy cravings

Off to Stoke and here is me thinking you live in the stock broker belt in Cheshire,
    I now could call you neighbour

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Had a half decent Balti the other night.
    Bought a jar of Balti sauce from M&S and garlic Naan bread from Shopwise.
    Added some extra spices and we wolfed it down between us.
    Not bad at all

These little 'treats' are not exactly cheap.
    But they do satisfy cravings
    Last night grilled trout with smashed potatoes with broccoli and a home made sauce. followed by ice cream

What on earth is tinned stewed steak?
    Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    As the name says ...

... Nowadays think of CHAPPIE if you can remember that
    's what I would've said ... dog meat!

Walking around Farm foods the other day and there on the shelves was Fray Bentos steak pies.
    I remember these when i was a kid and if i was lucky i could scrape the tin , in those days this was the best pastry i had ever tasted.
    Can anyone remember those chicken dinners that your brought complete, they was in a foil tin thing with separate sections for your veg and potatoes and meat.
    You just put it into the oven to heat, again in my childhood days .

There's nothing wrong with normal English meals, breakfast today scrambled egg on toast, and dinner today will be cauliflower cheese with new potatoes, tomorrows breakfast 1 rasher of bacon 1 egg + 2 slices of bread and dinner will be toad in the hole with potatoes and veg, what's wrong with that? good normal food, doesn't anyone eat good normal English meals?

i just eat yoghurt and fruit with baked potato and muesli and granola,stuff like that,nothing wrong with brit food though i remember those frey bentos pies,we used to get a christmas hamper and there was always a couple in,they tasted like heaven when we were skinny little kids.

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

You can still buy them....

There's nothing wrong with normal English meals, breakfast today scrambled egg on toast, and dinner today will be cauliflower cheese with new potatoes, tomorrows breakfast 1 rasher of bacon 1 egg + 2 slices of bread and dinner will be toad in the hole with potatoes and veg, what's wrong with that? good normal food, doesn't anyone eat good normal English meals?
    There is nothing wrong in any of what you mentioned at all,
    But normal English food what is that in todays kitchen.
    Meat and two veg, a good curry, wraps, beans on toast, Paella Rice, to me these are all good dishes to eat

You can still buy them....

Yes you can and the pudding shape ones too.

I must admit my meals and what i eat have changed so much since Emma has walked into my kitchen, and its all for the better too.
    English food as we call it can be boring , and by adding salt and even pepper its still the same in my eyes.
    The dishes that i eat , the taste the colour is just amazing and so says my family too, i am such a lucky person and fat too

Those Fray Bentos pie's are lovely I have one now and again, one of those is a dinner for me

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    There is nothing wrong in any of what you mentioned at all,
    But normal English food what is that in todays kitchen.
    Meat and two veg, a good curry, wraps, beans on toast, Paella Rice, to me these are all good dishes to eat
    You must have a Yorkshire pudding with meat and four veg, baked beans, forgot about them must have beans on toast for breakfast Wednesday, yummy

You must have a Yorkshire pudding with meat and four veg, baked beans, forgot about them must have beans on toast for breakfast Wednesday, yummy
    Get a good chilli cooking then throw that tin of beans in there , it thickens it up and then the first day, chilli with rice, the next chilli with jacket potato, if any left chilli with chips , you could even make a large yorkshire pud and then fill that with chilli too,

Thought you said you had a traditional Sunday roast with all the trimmings. I'd hardly call cauliflower cheese with new potatoes a Sunday roast

Sorry Michael but I must be missing some thing here. In the last 2 weeks shopping you have bought 1 pack of streaky bacon, pork belly slices and some tinned stewing steak.
    Where's your traditional English food, rump steak, lamb, fish and chips etc?

Thought you said you had a traditional Sunday roast with all the trimmings. I'd hardly call cauliflower cheese with new potatoes a Sunday roast
    My Sunday roast as you call it I have any day because every day is Sunday to me hence I have it on as many days as I want

Sorry Michael but I must be missing some thing here. In the last 2 weeks shopping you have bought 1 pack of streaky bacon, pork belly slices and some tinned stewing steak.
    Where's your traditional English food, rump steak, lamb, fish and chips etc?
    Have Fish and chips approx. twice a year also never had rump steak but do buy lamb sometimes and have liver three or four times a month, I would like to know what you eat in a day

My Sunday roast as you call it I have any day because every day is Sunday to me Hence I have it on as many days as I want
    What is it this week

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information