Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Wanted down under

A tv show that shows when a family tries to move to the other side of the world to Australia or other places.
    Its a old series and sometimes they revisit the same people years later.
    Its fun and it does open your eyes to how people think about moving but some have no ideas about the cost and what it may involve.
    Anyway they have a week looking at houses and work and schools and at the end of it they have to decide whether its there or back home.
    But the tv show throws a spanner in the works , they show the family a video of there family members from back home, there are tears and there are "we shall miss you " and so on.
    Now maybe these families may not see one another for weeks or even months but they are there saying we may never see each other again.
    Yes it must be hard but after a few days you are in another life and the people you have left should be happy that you are trying to live your dream of a better life for your own family.
    Are the ones being left behind being selfish or are frightened of change.
    Maybe having a wife from the other side of the world and knowing that there are ways of contacting the family daily and even seeing them face to face sort off it des make you think that you could live anywhere if that is what you want and still see the family where ever they are too.

I remember watching this programme when I was in UK.
    Yes those family members really had some power in those tears to turn around dreams.
    I remember also that teenage children could be very anti-move.

I think it's really a tough decision if you have very close family ties. Australia really is a long long way.
    Most who make the move know it'll likely take years to either travel back to UK for a holiday or have family members make a visit.

It seemed to me that most people wanted to move as a way to improve their quality of life but finally saw the financials were just not what they imagined and certainly not a step up.

Interesting programme though.

I have just watched a new series " a new life in Oz ",
    This family moved to Australia , husband , wife and 2 kids and all they went with was £7000 in savings.
    They had her brother there who moved a few years ago and has settle in, s that helped.
    The husband was a car mechanic and again bro in law got him a interview then he got the job, and all was going well.
    A year later he has his own business a mobile mechanic , he has house and a boat and they all seem to be living the dream , or has he said i would say 12/10 his life is.
    Going out with little money but with big ideas can work sometimes.
    Here is me with more savings , a base too, but never ever any paid work , still keep that dream Steve

Is was an option for us and we did think about it some years ago..
    I have since met and made good friends with a number of Aussies that are living here either full or part time and what they tell me about living in Aussie is a real eye opener.. (costs of living.house prices etc)

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Is was an option for us and we did think about it some years ago..
    I have since met and made good friends with a number of Aussies that are living here either full or part time and what they tell me about living in Aussie is a real eye opener.. (costs of living.house prices etc)
    I also have an Aussie friend living in Dumaguete and he told me many stories about the problems in Australia with the Aboriginal Australians, drugs, child abuse, trafficking, crime ect it's far worse than in the UK, I have seen a few programs in recent years on TV about these issues and they were real eye openers also. When we watch programs like 'Wanted down under' all is not what it seems.

The world is not what it seems , it is down to each of us to make life better for us and others too.
    Best bet is to see the world through your own eyes sometimes to see whet is out there, you mentioned the problems with the Aboriginal Australians, i bet they had no problems at all before the new people arrived,

One thing about these programs that is true, Living In Australia like housing is very very expensive

Thread Information