Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: Hello everybody

Hello everybody

Hi there.

My first post here, many thanks to the mods for approving my joining.

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Alan from Manchester, UK, age 67 and retired, having spent my time in the Computer Industry, Financial Services and finally Local Government. I first "met" my own "FilipinaRose", Elsa, online on "Date in Asia" in the summer of 2011 while I was doing my first trip to South East Asia. We have a place in Koronadal on the southern island of Mindanao (about an hour north of Gensan) where I am currently posting from. I split my time between the Phils (4 months) and the UK (the rest of the year) - my pension is deemed inadequate by the UK Government to support Elsa for her to get UK residency and I have a number of health conditions that mean I need to be in the UK for part of the year, so life is a compromise!

I've never felt British, as my parents were Polish refugees so I have a different perspective on "Blighty" compared to most Brits but I'm a committed and proud Northerner and Mancunian. I've long been interested in Asian culture and now that I live part of the year here in the Phils, I've grown to love much about the country and its people. I adore being here on Mindanao and through Elsa, I've got to know her batch mates who are a wonderful bunch, as are our neighbours. The Filipino value placed on family and community is something I really admire, a real shame we lost that in the so-called "developed West".

I love photography and computing big time (I build my own PCs in the UK), love music, films, UK TV, drama. I adore nature and the beautiful natural scenery of the Philippines, sorry I'm not into the fancy Westernised resorts, nor the walled expat communities. I much prefer it real and natural and being among locals!

I must admit Tagalog is a struggle for me - it doesn't have any links to the Germanic, Latin and Slavic language families that I'm familiar with - never mind Ilonggo which is the local language here, but I'm sure I'll get there eventually!

Looking forward to "getting to know" the regulars on here, joining in with the chat and adding my pennyworth when appropriate.

Best wishes

Alan

Alan..
    Thanks for signing up with us!!
    So glad that you have finally found your little piece of paradise if only at least for 4 months in the year!
    I`m pretty much stuck here for 12 months of the year which I personally consider a blessing!
    Please continue to post.. We are in dire need of diversity!!
    Regards,
    Fred.

Welcome aboard Alan, nice to see a new 'face' around here.

I only spend 3 months a year here, but that will change later this year hopefully

Alan, very nice intro post.....a warm welcome to our small online community.

Looks like we have a lot of interests in common as well as our age, although I'm only 66 hehehe

We relocated here to the Philippines in 2014 after many years in UK and before that in Japan.
    Actually we lived in Davao City for 18 months before moving (yet again) to our house in Marikina.
    We both love Mindanao and loads of family there but relocated due to a few important issues.

I for one, will be looking forward to your postings and your views on Life in the Philippines and also life in UK

Nice to hear from you.

Alright mate,been to koronadal or as my woman calls it marbel a few times,used to wander around that way and sultan kudarat,enjoy your stay

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Welcome aboard, it seems many may learn from you rather then the other way round

Hey thanks for the very warm welcome, much appreciated.

I must admit this seems a friendlier place than another expat forum, which is mainly frequented by 'canos! Although in fairness, maybe that's because of the cultural differences between us and ahem, the colonies, LOL.

Oh, I don't know about you folks learning from me, I've an awful lot to learn.

Mind you I'm probably at stage 3 of the assimilation process. Stage 1 is falling in love with the place. That happened instantly.

Stage 2 is frustration when you see how things are done over here (or more accurately, how they don't happen), that comes maybe after a year when you see the cracks in the veneer and you ask "who don't they just do it THIS way"? You spend a bit of time at stage 2 and after a while you acquire a massive headache from banging your head against the wall.

Eventually commonsense or is it coma-tosis (if there's such a word) sets in. It's called acceptance (Stage 3), that's the way things are and you ain't gonna change them. You have a choice - stress/ulcer/heart attack/God-knows-what-else or lie down and acquiesce! You have to remind yourself what attracted you to the country (apart from your lady), the kinder weather, the relaxed lifestyle, the family spirit, etc etc and accept that the price of it all is that we're no longer in the fast-moving West with all its problems and perhaps it's a small price to pay for those benefits. So you keep reminding yourself "it's more fun in the Philippines". Alleluyah! :-)

Welcome aboard Alan

Trusted Member
    Welcome to Filipina Roses.

I see we have very different views.

A big welcome from me too Alan, I'm an English woman with Filipino family connections both here in England and Philippines :-)

Quote Originally Posted by soulman1949 View Post
    Hi there.

My first post here, many thanks to the mods for approving my joining.

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Alan from Manchester, UK, age 67 and retired, having spent my time in the Computer Industry, Financial Services and finally Local Government. I first "met" my own "FilipinaRose", Elsa, online on "Date in Asia" in the summer of 2011 while I was doing my first trip to South East Asia. We have a place in Koronadal on the southern island of Mindanao (about an hour north of Gensan) where I am currently posting from. I split my time between the Phils (4 months) and the UK (the rest of the year) - my pension is deemed inadequate by the UK Government to support Elsa for her to get UK residency and I have a number of health conditions that mean I need to be in the UK for part of the year, so life is a compromise!

I've never felt British, as my parents were Polish refugees so I have a different perspective on "Blighty" compared to most Brits but I'm a committed and proud Northerner and Mancunian. I've long been interested in Asian culture and now that I live part of the year here in the Phils, I've grown to love much about the country and its people. I adore being here on Mindanao and through Elsa, I've got to know her batch mates who are a wonderful bunch, as are our neighbours. The Filipino value placed on family and community is something I really admire, a real shame we lost that in the so-called "developed West".

I love photography and computing big time (I build my own PCs in the UK), love music, films, UK TV, drama. I adore nature and the beautiful natural scenery of the Philippines, sorry I'm not into the fancy Westernised resorts, nor the walled expat communities. I much prefer it real and natural and being among locals!

I must admit Tagalog is a struggle for me - it doesn't have any links to the Germanic, Latin and Slavic language families that I'm familiar with - never mind Ilonggo which is the local language here, but I'm sure I'll get there eventually!

Looking forward to "getting to know" the regulars on here, joining in with the chat and adding my pennyworth when appropriate.

Best wishes

Alan
    ... WOW! What an interesting, truly informative and extremely well~written introductory post, Alan. among us ... I'm sure you'll really relish participating in the fellowship enjoyed here.

Co-incidentally ... my wife, like your partner, Elsa, is from Mindanao - *Tagum City, Davao del Norte, in Myrna's case - *where we were married away back in December 2008.

Welcome Alan.. I'm hoping to become part of the expat community in the Phils.. Currently I'm living in U.S. but will be in the Philippines 3 months a year. Maybe more if I can get a few more things squared away at home.

Alan, you mentioned Assimmilation to the way things are done in the Phils, and how it takes about a year to you start asking yourself "Why do they do it this way"? or, "Wouldn't it be so much easier and faster if they did it this way"?? Last year I was there for only 2 months and started asking myself these questions. But, at the end of the day, who am I to ask those questions. Maybe I just need to learn how to live more of a laid back lifestyle. Western way of life it seems people get used to needing things done NOW.. Many more hoops to jump through in the Philippines

This is the problem we all seem to live in such a fast world, but we are moving to a slower pace of life, best bet is to jump on the bus and enjoy the ride .
    Last edited by Arthur Little; 21st February 2017 at 00:06. Reason: Inserted missing 't' in 3rd word of posting.

Welcome to filipinaroses alan

Welcome Alan to Filipina Roses.

I think he has left us.....

Quote Originally Posted by Longweekend View Post
    I think he has left us.....
    Did someone upset him?? Cmon..
    Hands up!! Who was it this time?

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Very strange, I thought he was quite refreshing

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    , Michael ... so too, did I!

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    , Michael ... so too, did I!
    Yup ... truly a breath of fresh air.

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Did someone upset him?? Cmon..
    Hands up!! Who was it this time?
    Well i am sure the fingers was pointing , like many at first he seemed ok , but like anything in life he asked for our opinion, but he had his own answer and he did not like ours.
    Again i must add this is my own thoughts

Yes you are right , and maybe he would still be here if many of the replies he was wanting was, "I AGREE "

He may come back as he is not been banned .well i dont think he has

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Are there some posts missing?

Are there some posts missing?
    Not sure I don't check or read everything.
    Why are you asking , has some of yours be deleted.

Steve has been spot on so far...Some people just want everything their own way and everything has to be soooo politically correct..Or they throw out the toys and leave!! lol
    Bye!!

Steve has been spot on so far...Some people just want everything their own way and everything has to be soooo politically correct..Or they throw out the toys and leave!! lol
    Bye!!
    Hmm ... ... if perchance ANYONE happens to be looking for a prime example of the sheer stupidity of "political correctness", then the following link's worth reading:

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....-Crazy-Is-This ...

Bye!!
    Thank you sir

Ohhh have I miss something? Anyway, I understand this group as I learn alot from the member esp the admins who are very helpful. I may not be here all the time as it is very busy in the hospital but I make sure ai keep myself up-to-date.. I like reading forums and most of the time other people leave as they don't get the answer they want. In my own opinion, as I am openminded,I always seek advice when I am in doubt, I accept every opinion or advice given to me. It is up to me what will I follow. It is not a matter of age, it is about the experience of each and everyone of us.
    Big shout out to the admins,thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Janedan0913 View Post
    Ohhh have I miss something? Anyway, I understand this group as I learn alot from the member esp the admins who are very helpful. I may not be here all the time as it is very busy in the hospital but I make sure ai keep myself up-to-date.. I like reading forums and most of the time other people leave as they don't get the answer they want. In my own opinion, as I am openminded,I always seek advice when I am in doubt, I accept every opinion or advice given to me. It is up to me what will I follow. It is not a matter of age, it is about the experience of each and everyone of us.
    Big shout out to the admins,thanks again.
    We are all here to help and if we can have a little fun too, well it makes the day go quicker.
    What is you work in the hospital, I hope you don't mind me asking.

Thread Information