Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Anyone used Uber?

Being "prom di probince",I knew nothing of this transport service system in Manila..
    Anyone used it yet? Reviews?

I've only ever used Uber once. It was fine. Actually the driver was a lady who seemed to be an overly cautious driver.
    It was quite a bit more expensive than we thought it would be
    We tend not to go for Uber simply due to the number of worrying reports from folks we know and from TV news coverage.
    It would be very useful to comment further on just one time.
    Oh the lady driver did ask my wife how to make a reverse in the vehicle when she dropped us off. My wife doesn't drive.
    (well except for driving me crazy)

We have used a taxi service called Grab Taxi very many times and always been very happy with the service and their prices.
    I have no concerns at all recommending Grab.
    Usually the drivers are the owners of the vehicles which are all very new, immaculately clean and well presented with everything working as it should.
    You can use them for long or short journeys without problem.

Thanks!! Looks like I have much to learn!!
    Might even have to look into getting my first Mobile phone if that`s what it takes to call a taxi these days!

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Thanks!! Looks like I have much to learn!!
    Might even have to look into getting my first Mobile phone if that`s what it takes to call a taxi these days!
    As always fred these things are a personal choice.

We just got fed up with difficult taxi drivers, vehicles in poor condition with poor air-con, grubby and dirty with ripped upholstery and the constant negotiations on price. So many times we jumped out due to no air-con or the refusal to put on the meter.

Yes Grab (and Uber) can be marginally more expensive by a few Peso's but for me it's a no brainer.
    In Manila it's so much nicer and more relaxing to be a 'registered' passenger' inside a 'registered' vehicle.

Depending on the needs for transportation, also check out LRT and MRT routes ;-)

Respected Member
    I use Uber all the time when on business, but never yet in the Philippines. The drivers are always courteous and safe - the user rates them after the trip. In other countries they need a proper public service vehicle type license (local taxis in the UK for example), and the right insurance. Not sure about the Philippines, but Uber corporate certainly wouldn't like them doing anything dodgy.

My employer actively promotes us using it. But bizarrely they just recommended I install and try out Lyft (Uber competitor in the US) for my trip next week. Maybe some free trips or a special discount...

I kind of feel sorry for normal taxi drivers these days. But not black cab drivers, I hate black cabs and the drivers usually have an attitude.

Thread Information