Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: Right To Die

Cool Right To Die

67-year-old retired college lecturer, Noel Conway from Shropshire may look healthy enough in the link provided. But then again, in reality, he suffers from an incurable form of one of the most dreaded afflictions known to mankind - Motor Neurones Disease.

Once an active sports enthusiast who enjoyed such outdoor pursuits as walking, cycling, climbing and skiing, Mr Conway is now confined to a wheelchair, needs help with everyday basic needs, like dressing and feeding himself, and ... fears becoming "entombed" in his own body when the debilitating condition takes its toll.

See report by the BBC's Medical Correspondent, Fergus Walsh:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38500873 ...

Clearly one can fully understand the man's desire for legislation to be be passed here... in order to [legally] enable doctors to put an end to his suffering when this eventually happens! Interestingly, you'll note from the article I've provided, that Canada and also the US States of California and Colorado ALL introduced assisted dying during 2016.
    Last edited by Arthur Little; 9th January 2017 at 00:25.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    I agree entirely with Mr Conway, he should have his request fulfilled and so should anyone else under similar circumstances, why should anyone in this day and age go through the pain and suffering that terminal illness of any kind can bring to families. Thank you once again Arthur for bringing to light a subject that needs to be brought to the attention more often to those that have the power to change the law so as to prevent suffering to these people.

Shotgun its messy but saves the paperwork sorry,gallows humour

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Trusted Member
    I think murderers and rapists should be granted this privilege first.

As for the man in the article, leave it for the (dispassionate) courts to decide.

Knowing our courts the poor guy will have to travel to Holland or Switzerland.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    I think murderers and rapists should be granted this privilege first.
    Aye, Graham ... if only; chance would be a fine thing!

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    As for the man in the article, leave it for the *dispassionate courts to decide.
    ... 'fraid that's where the problems lie, IMO ... *they're far too lenient when punishing the "detrius" of society, while appearing to neglect the BEST interests of terminally ill citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    Knowing our courts the poor guy will have to travel to Holland or Switzerland.
    Thing is, Andy ... ... in his particular case, the MND seems to be spreading so rapidly, that soon, he's likely to grow weaker and more physically incapacitated - to the extent of being unable to travel to even any of the European centres.

The arguments for and against are so confusing!
    I think in his situation I would wish to end life as peacefully as possible too.
    Having to travel abroad the administer the poison himself in his condition it not compamasanite (sorry for spelling)
    Mick.

I agree with many of the views expressed.
    If I were in such a condition I'd most likely be looking and hoping for a 'way-out'

I read a serious appraisal of options on this a couple of years ago.
    It's really not a easy as many of us think. Especially when trying to be very sure that there are zero instances of abuse where folks are 'done away with' for convenience.

I'm sure we have legal experts who could propose some 'watertight' wording etc if only the courts were more open minded.

Dignity is one word that comes to mind with such a horrible condition. I would want to preserve mine and end it all as quickly and painlessly as possible. Anyone who has seen a loved one slowly sliding towards a gruesome and painful death would want to minimise their suffering.

Alan

Thread Information