Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

ILR (as bereaved partner) approved!

hello! just sharing that my application was approved and BRP came in yesterday grateful to you all for your help/support with my application so thank you!

that being done naturalisation is next in line. however, i am just confused on how soon i can apply for that. Mark said before that I can obtain it "3 years after your first settlement in the UK", while Terpe also mentioned that "you will not be eligible for application for Naturalisation until you have completed 5 years living in the UK. would appreciate if you can please enlighten me on this? did my own research too and got confused even more. just had to ask as I am planning to go back home for Christmas and see how long i can stay without affecting my residence requirements.
    btw, i arrived here 13 Aug. 2013 on fiance visa for reference.

thanks so much!

Congratulations on receiving the ILR

You really should ask UKVI about your eligibility for Naturalisation. It's only UKVI who can allow exceptions outside of statutory requirement.

Sally ... I am delighted to be one of the first to CONGRATULATE you on obtaining your ILR.

However, as to when you'll be eligible to apply for Naturalisation - given the "conflicting" views already expressed by two of our very knowledgeable members shortly after you joined the forum - I would prefer to "hang fire" until one or either [or BOTH] is/are next online, to answer this question, since ... ... I'm NOT so fully acquainted as they are with the 'Updated Rules' that were introduced a few years ago.

Congratulations on getting your ILR..

Naturalisation (General)

And you must usually have:

lived in the UK for at least the 5 years before the date of your application
    spent no more than 450 days outside the UK during those 5 years
    spent no more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months
    had settlement (‘indefinite leave to remain’) in the UK for the last 12 months if you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA)

But i think this is relevant to you Sally;

If your spouse is a British citizen
    If you’re married to, or the civil partner of, a British citizen, you can apply for citizenship if:

you’re 18 or over
    you’re of sound mind, you’re able to think and make decisions for yourself
    you’re of good character, for example you don’t have a serious or recent criminal record
    you’ve met the knowledge of English and life in the UK requirements
    you’ve been granted indefinite leave to stay in the UK (this means there’s no specific date that you have to leave) or permanent residence if you’re an EEA national (and you have a permanent residence card or document that shows you have permanent residence)
    you meet the residency requirement
    Unless your spouse or civil partner works abroad either for the UK government or for an organisation closely linked to government, you must usually also have:

lived in the UK for at least the 3 years before your application is received
    spent no more than 270 days outside the UK in those 3 years
    not broken any immigration laws while in the UK

https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-britis...ritish-citizen

I think reading those basics, you can apply immediately, but be CAREFUL how many days (90 allowed) you have spent outside of the UK during the last 12 months, and (270) over the last 3 years, those days outside the Uk may stop you applying if you have more than 90 days over the last 12 months, hope this helps

The Naturalisation is a pretty straight forward process, You will i believe still need Knowledge of English taken at an approved centre local to you, its easy to pass, you just hold a conversation with another applicant, and someone listens to the conversation and assesses you I cant check it out for you as Im using mobile data, and downloading will use lots of my Data (sorry), your two main issues are the 90 day limit over the 12 month period, i doubt that you will have enough time to do everything before you leave for Phills before christmas, but you may be able to squeeze in your knowledge of english (Speaking and Listening), somewhere along the way you will need to provide your Biometrics ie fingerprints, and photo if my memory serves me correctly, then you just need to book, your Citizenship ceremony, thats what i recall from last year, straight forward its just a matter of getting the requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post

You really should ask UKVI about your eligibility for Naturalisation. It's only UKVI who can allow exceptions outside of statutory requirement.
    Ah ... about exceptional circumstances, Peter! ... seems our respective posts crossed in transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry T View Post

But i think this is relevant to you Sally;

If your spouse is a British citizen
    If you’re married to, or the civil partner of, a British citizen, you can apply for citizenship
    Only UKVI can allow exceptions to statutory requirements.

That why I suggest contact to them.

The question hinges on whether the applicant is a spouse/married.

UKVI will need to accept and agree considerable compelling and compassionate circumstances before an application is made.
    It's an expensive risk otherwise.

Residency requirement could become an issue but do bear in mind there are published allowances above stated limits under discretion which are within statatory requirements

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post

Thank you Terpe! been reading Booklet AN and thought that while i have spent 166 days out of UK for the last 3 years (270 days allowed), obviously I have exceeded the 90 days allowed being away for the last 12 months before the application (i spent 108 days to be exact). however, they do disregard the excess absences but only up to 100 days which i failed to meet again. having said that, they still give leeway for up to 101-179 days excess only if i meet their requirements which is as follows:

Total number of absences normally disregarded only if all
    other requirements are met and:
    a) you have demonstrated links with the UK through presence of
    family, and established home and a substantial part of your
    estate.
    101 – 179 days
    [/B]

i've no more family here definitely but i still have the house so i don't know if i will qualify

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Congratulations on your success obtaining your ILR, well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Sally ... I am delighted to be one of the first to CONGRATULATE you on obtaining your ILR.

However, as to when you'll be eligible to apply for Naturalisation - given the "conflicting" views already expressed by two of our very knowledgeable members shortly after you joined the forum - I would prefer to "hang fire" until one or either [or BOTH] is/are next online, to answer this question, since ... ... I'm NOT so fully acquainted as they are with the 'Updated Rules' that were introduced a few years ago.
    Thanks Sir Arthur! interpreting all these rules is doing my head in but i'm confident that i will get there eventually with all the help that i can get here

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Congratulations on your success obtaining your ILR, well done.
    Thank you Michael! getting there now as soon as i can tie up all the loose ends

Trusted Member
    Congratulations... and good luck in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry T View Post
    Congratulations on getting your ILR..

Thank you Harry! you put my mind to ease with what to use with that visa payment & the good luck!

lived in the UK for at least the 3 years before your application is received
    spent no more than 270 days outside the UK in those 3 years
    not broken any immigration laws while in the UK

https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-britis...ritish-citizen

I think reading those basics, you can apply immediately, but be CAREFUL how many days (90 allowed) you have spent outside of the UK during the last 12 months, and (270) over the last 3 years, those days outside the Uk may stop you applying if you have more than 90 days over the last 12 months, hope this helps

i just replied to Terpe regarding absences and raised my concerns too so just hopeful i can sort this out

The Naturalisation is a pretty straight forward process, You will i believe still need Knowledge of English taken at an approved centre local to you, its easy to pass, you just hold a conversation with another applicant, and someone listens to the conversation and assesses you I cant check it out for you as Im using mobile data, and downloading will use lots of my Data (sorry), your two main issues are the 90 day limit over the 12 month period, i doubt that you will have enough time to do everything before you leave for Phills before christmas, but you may be able to squeeze in your knowledge of english (Speaking and Listening), somewhere along the way you will need to provide your Biometrics ie fingerprints, and photo if my memory serves me correctly, then you just need to book, your Citizenship ceremony, thats what i recall from last year, straight forward its just a matter of getting the requirements.
    i already have one from IELTS with a score of 6.5 for listening and 7.0 speaking so i'm ok with this. what i need to take now is the Life In the UK test and everything else to follow i guess
    Last edited by sally sanchez; 12th November 2016 at 09:49. Reason: post got all mixed up

Quote Originally Posted by sally sanchez View Post
    i already have one from IELTS with a score of 6.5 for listening and 7.0 speaking so i'm ok with this. what i need to take now is the Life In the UK test and everything else to follow i guess
    So sorry Harry i got all my post mixed up i just realized i replied on your post itself and only the last part of my reply was posted

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Congratulations... and good luck in the future.
    Thank you Graham! and nice to meet you too

Thread Information