Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

How do you Pass the time ?

Im not retired yet Im on Pension Credit, having no family, how do you retirees pass the time of day ? and dont tell me to watch Jeremy Kyle.. I have to admit Im struggling to adjust to having too much time on my hands..

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    I always seem to make myself busy, I have many things to do during the next few years. My day normally starts about 5am have a decent breakfast then walk two or three miles sometimes more, I can walk via town now we have moved in the new house so whilst in town I may call and get the odd item of food that I require or call in B&Q to collect some thing that's needed for one of the projects that I may be busy with, been living here since the beginning of October apart from cutting the lawns four times already I've floored the loft and fitted the loft ladder, built a patio using 3x2 paving slabs, outside tap done, awaiting delivery of a shed for me to assemble then will landscape garden and build a wildlife pond , plant some tree saplings and shrubs, latest project was indoors new 4k TV 65" fitted on wall won't go too far tomorrow until my new 4k BT You View box has been delivered then I will play with that for an hour or two before going for a four mile walk along the Canal. Later in the evening I will watch the first three episodes of 'The Walking Dead' series seven on Catch up TV. Before going to bed will plan the following days breakfast that I always adhere to, that's a run down on the type of lifestyle I have and of course I always try to find time to check out the Forum.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry T View Post
    Im not retired yet Im on Pension Credit, having no family, how do you retirees pass the time of day ? and dont tell me to watch Jeremy Kyle.. I have to admit Im struggling to adjust to having to much time on my hands..
    Good thread

Well I'm still new to retirement life.
    I thought I could develop my interests in Photography, painting (not he DIY kind of which I'm getting fed up to the back teeth with) cycling, fishing and Filipina Roses Forum to name a few.

So far my life is flashing past at breakneck speed and I just don't know how to slow it down.
    I need to know how to hang on to time

I was out of work for two months when we moved, I was getting bored. Plus spending money we wasn't earning.
    So glad to get back to work this week.

I'm not retired yet, I'm on Pension Credit, having no family, how do you retirees pass the time of day? and dont tell me to watch Jeremy Kyle.. I have to admit I'm struggling to adjust to having too much time on my hands..
    I have been retired for many years now ... and am pretty sure most regulars on here will be aware of where my all~consuming interest lies, i.e., apart from my wife and family.

Often find myself wishing for more time on my hands.

Has anyone seen that film groundhog day

Im not retired yet Im on Pension Credit, having no family, how do you retirees pass the time of day ? and dont tell me to watch Jeremy Kyle.. I have to admit Im struggling to adjust to having too much time on my hands..
    What's pension credit harry and if you have not retired yet is that what you are receiving and why

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Well I'm still new to retirement life.
    I thought I could develop my interests in Photography, painting (not he DIY kind of which I'm getting fed up to the back teeth with) cycling, fishing and Filipina Roses Forum to name a few.

So far my life is flashing past at breakneck speed and I just don't know how to slow it down.
    I need to know how to hang on to time
    Drink more sm

Trusted Member
    Pension Credit is a top-up benefit for those over a certain age (60?) . It is income-based. More accurate info online.

I surf the net, play on my Xbox ( mainly car racing), do chores, cook, go shopping locally, ride the free buses to nearby towns and cities, sometimes go out on my pushbike. Never bored, sometimes a bit lonely. Typical UK... speak to a stranger and they assume you must be a nutter.

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    What's pension credit harry and if you have not retired yet is that what you are receiving and why
    Its as Graham says but its definately NOT 60, I think they put me on pension Credit last june 2015, so i think its 63, until then then i had been receiving JSA for 2 months, and was being required to apply for a certain number of jobs, and made to attend training courses, to fullfill the criteria of JSA

Im not by any means lazy, but at 63 its not possible for me to be able to do the job that i have done for the past 30 years, physically i dont have the strength in my Hands & Fingers now to be able to untighten & Retighten certain fittings that are needed in everyday use, and when you are working with Machinery of 2000 Tonnes in size, and Tooling of up to 200 Tonnes in weight its to dangerous to take a chance, plus it also involved climbing up onto the top of said Machinery to unfasten Eyebolts & Shackles to release said Machinery from the Overhead Crane, yes there is a Technical side to my job which involves setting parameters, and adjusting any Faults that happen from time to time, its not so simple as loading the Tools & Program, and away it goes, as an example I may load a particular Tool in a particular press & it runs great, i can load the same Tool in another Press of the same make, same size same everything, and it will run crap.

Petford8036-resized.jpg

Im sure none of you would like this to drop on your Toes , you can see all the water cooling/heating pipes, and thats where the Finger strength is needed, Thats just one of the Tools that i used to work with, another was the Tooling thats makes Roofs for JCB Diggers so that again gives you an idea of the sizes of Machines & Tooling that I had to work with..

Never seen it looking that clean and Tidy before Hahaha

Sorry if i am sounding stupid here Harry but because of your age many employers may see you as to old so you are on job seekers allowance , and is that why you are able to have some sort of pension.
    Is it a full pension or is it made up to a set figure, plus once you become a pensionable age do you get a full state pension then, or am i talking crap here

Steve, You have hit the Nail on the Head its an age thing, but of course employers wont say that, in fact i think they are not allowed to say it.. discrimination and all that.. I think i was lucky in being able to work until i was almost 63 doing what i was doing, i did think i could go back to work there but as i said in my own mind, i know i cant do the job, to a standard that Im happy with, added to which is the Safety aspect which is all important.

Okay i was on JSA, and i was called in for an interview, this was supposedly to find out how i was getting on with my Job searching some young thing in a skirt was my interviewer, the first thing she said was i notice you have just had your Birthday, that means you can go onto Pension Credit, its more money, and you dont have to sign on, so of course i would have been stupid not to have said put me on pension credit, it achieves 2 things it gets people of a certain age (63) off the Unemployment figures, and i dont have to go through the demeaning JSA requirements of applying for jobs that i have no chance of getting just to meet the requirement, or having to attend Courses such as "Careworker" Training, bloody hell Im the one who needs the Care back to your question; PC is a variable figure designed to bring your income up to a minimum weekly level which is at present £153 for a single guy, and i think £250 for a couple, but savings and other things are taken into account so i get £110 weekly, which i have to top up from my savings.. when i get to pensionable age i will get the full state Pension, even if i had a million quid in savings (which i dont have) Im entitled to that..

Thanks Harry, i understand it now again the system seems to be wrong for the people who has worked and saved all there lives,
    If you did not have any savings the figure of £153 is still not enough to live on if you have to pay all your bills , you have lost £43 for having savings may i ask how much did you have to loose so much

Thread Information