Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

How Our Brains Become Disembodied

We - each and every one of us are familiar with the "feeling" of what it's like to lose sensation (for whatever reason) in our limbs ... thankfully [usually] temporarily.

Imagine, though ... ... what it must be like to be paralysed - it simply doesn't bear thinking about!

Now, Italian scientists claim they're able to give us some insight into WHY this strange loss of feeling occurs:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-37705375

It all depends on what position I am in , that's when I loose all feeling

Having suffered from Bell's Palsy in the past I understand exactly the feeling of losing sensation and loss of feeling, if only in my face and head. It's weird.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    Having suffered from Bell's Palsy in the past I understand exactly the feeling of losing sensation and loss of feeling, if only in my face and head. It's weird.
    What a coincidence Steve !

I also suffered from Bells Palsy back in 2013

I woke up with a strange numbness on the right side of my face. Looking in the mirror I was so shocked as it looked as though the right side of my face had dropped.

To be honest I really thought I'd had a stroke.
    I was too scared to go to the doctor but my wife really forced the following day.

So relieved to learn it wasn't a stroke.
    I had difficulty eating and drinking for a few weeks and looked as though I'd suffered a stroke. My speech was also quite badly affected as I had no control over my lips.

Even to this day my right eyelid isn't quite functioning correctly.

I was given medication and told I was lucky to receive treatment within the first 72 hours.
    If not I might have permanent damage.

Something never forgotten.

I was the same Peter. It also affected my inner ear also so I lost my balance and had bad nausea. I wasn't able to close my eyes either or blink, and my tongue only tasted on one side. I was off work for 3 months, until I slowly started to be able to move again. I still can't whistle like I could before

Y'know ...I hadn't thought of it when I came across this thread's subject matter. However, reading about BOTH Steve's and Peter's respective experiences, made me stop and think for a moment there.

One day away back in January 1967, when I was 22 years old, I'd been sitting in the bus on my way home from work when, suddenly I found myself assailed by *symptoms very, very similar to those that Peter mentions. Yes, *they affected my speech too!!

When I'd tried to describe the feelings to my Mum, she, of course, immediately called the doctor who, , arranged for hospital tests - lumbar puncture & EEG - which proved inconclusive.

So, to this day, I remained none the wiser.

But, from what you've just said, Peter, the symptoms would seem to be consistent with 'Bell's Palsy'.

Strange I'd forgotten an incident that happened almost 50 years ago ...

... until now!

Trusted Member
    Wow... scary stuff.

The only vaguely similar experience I can relate is what happened to me shortly after having returned to UK from Hong Kong, where I'd been working on construction sites for a couple of years, so actually probably as fit and strong as I'd ever been.

However, about a week after I got back, I suddenly lost all the strength in my arms, and really couldn't lift anything heavier than a bag of sugar. Really weird.

I went to the doc and she said it could be the effects of a previous viral infection, and I would eventually recover... which I did, but only after a few weeks. I never did find out the actual cause.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Wow... scary stuff.

The only vaguely similar experience I can relate is what happened to me shortly after having returned to UK from Hong Kong, where I'd been working on construction sites for a couple of years, so actually probably as fit and strong as I'd ever been.

However, about a week after I got back, I suddenly lost all the strength in my arms, and really couldn't lift anything heavier than a bag of sugar. Really weird.

I went to the doc and she said it could be the effects of a previous viral infection, and I would eventually recover... which I did, but only after a few weeks. I never did find out the actual cause.
    I had similar before Graham, it was a virus, I woke up one morning and I couldn't use my legs, I was in my teens as I remember and had a few days off school. But my movement came back as fast as it went. Bodies are strange.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Wow, what an interesting topic, the only thing that baffled me was as a child up to being about fourteen or fifteen years of age was every time I got up quickly from a seating position I blacked out for a few seconds, never did tell anyone

Trusted Member
    Temporary low blood pressure... the brain feels it most.

Nowt serious and quite common I do believe.

Wish I had the same blood pressure in other parts as I had then.

I just been to hospital for an op, and my blood pressure was 121/79.... as close to perfect as it gets

Trusted Member
    Well done Steve... must be looking after yourself.

I had my BP done a couple of weeks ago. It was 127/80, which I suppose isn't too bad for a 65 year-old ex-smoker. (Slightly lower than when tested in my early 30s).

My bloods results came back clear of anything untoward too... so onwards and upwards.

Then we need a drink to our good health Graham.. cheers

Pleased to note that NONE of us affected by the symptoms we've reported, appears to be any the worse of our various experiences ... and, like Steve's and Graham's, my blood pressure remains stable.

My blood pressure does vary a bit but nothing much. a couple of 'points' here and there.
    My usual is 129/80 plus or minus 3 or 4 depending.

I too was a long long time smoker. When I lived in Japan I was a very heavy smoker.
    Plenty of 'mizuwari' too
    (look on google if you don't know)

I'm taking daily tabs of Amlodipine, Perindopril and low-dose Aspirin as maintenance.

All looking good and feeling good.

Thread Information