Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stopping Smoking

I have to admit i am a Smoker and have been for 50 years, having read another great thread by Doc Alan Im going to name a date to try again, What i would like to ask is if members can help me to achieve this, in the past whenever i have tried to stop Iv always been surrounded by Smokers both at home and at work, which didnt help me to quit the habit.. Nowadays Im smoking more through boredom..

So why wait ? tomorrow hopefully with your help on here I will Stop, i will keep you regularly updated on my progress i will be honest and up front if i touch a cigarette.. Its gonna be hard i know it but here goes...

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    I just stopped on my 50th birthday and never regretted it.

Good luck Harry, tomorrow never comes they say,
    But on Thursday I will be there trying to help you,

Using anything Harry or just going cold turkey ?

Good luck

Trusted Member
    Good on you mate, and stick with it.

Similar situation for me, up until July 2014.

That's when I smoked my last cigarette.

I used a cheap vaping e-cig thing for a a week or two, plus nicotene patches. They worked for me.

It has also saved me an absolute fortune (enough to finance at least one of my trips to the Phils each year !) and made me a more attractive person for my wife and others to be close to... now I and my clothes no longer stink of tobacco.

Of course the health benefits are obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry T View Post
    I have to admit i am a Smoker and have been for 50 years, having read another great thread by Doc Alan Im going to name a date to try again, What i would like to ask is if members can help me to achieve this, in the past whenever i have tried to stop Iv always been surrounded by Smokers both at home and at work, which didnt help me to quit the habit.. Nowadays Im smoking more through boredom..

So why wait ? tomorrow hopefully with your help on here I will Stop, i will keep you regularly updated on my progress i will be honest and up front if i touch a cigarette.. Its gonna be hard i know it but here goes...
    Good thinking Harry.....Please please give up.

Of course you know it's not going to be easy, but the success is entirely in youir hands.

You'll really need to be strong and stick to a strategy of not giving in to the next smoke.

I quit at 10pm on December 31 2010 and went cold turkey after many years of trying every easy route.
    Do be informed there isn't one.

You'll need your own strength to overcome the desires, but it can be done and has been done by millions. Take each chunk of time as a step.

We'll all be here to support but it's down to you.
    I can state that even after 2 weeks without a smoke you'll feel a positive difference.
    Forget the finances focus on the health benefits to come even after 50 years.

Trusted Member
    May I add my encouragement to you, Harry, and well done all those ex-smoking Forum members !

It’s never too late to stop smoking - the hazards of continuing are much greater than stopping, even after many years.

We all know the risks, and it’s hard to believe that even 40 years ago ~50% of men and ~40% of women smoked in the UK. Now it’s more like a fifth of men and women. Unfortunately at least a quarter ( ~45% males, ~10% females ) still smoke in the Philippines.

Richard Doll showed the link between smoking and ill health in 1950. He stopped smoking, and went on to live into his nineties - an inspiration, who probably saved more lives than anyone else in 20th century medicine.

We look forward to your regular updates, Harry .

Good luck. I gave up around 13 yeas ago. I said when my brand went to £5 a pack I would give up. So the day they went up I just stopped from 10 a day to zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Slip View Post
    Good luck. I gave up around 13 yeas ago. I said when my brand went to £5 a pack I would give up. So the day they went up I just stopped from 10 a day to zero.
    Just out of curiosity, how much is. Pack of 20 these days ?

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how much is. Pack of 20 these days ?
    Well i dont think 20,s exist now most Brands seem to have cut down to packs of 19, Im told some even do 18,s but the cost varies anything between around £7 up to Im told B&H which are around £9....

I thank you all for your encouragement, and i really think with you guys behind me i can do this... I know its a case of mind over matter, but i have got hold of some patches and a nicorette inhaler...

I quit for 6 years until I retired then started again.

Trusted Member
    Problem is, cigs are just so cheap in the Phils.

For that reason I feel doubly proud of being able to resist the temptation when there... as well as the booze.

Of course having a young baby around also makes either unacceptable, as far as I'm concerned.

Well I dont think 20s exist now most Brands seem to have cut down to packs of 19, I'm told some even do 18s but the cost varies anything between around £7 up to I'm told B&H which are around £9....
    Oh yes, they still exist ... it's the packets of 10 that've been done away with! Indeed, 20 packs are all you can buy nowadays. Pity that ... ... as I limit myself to only one fag daily after my main meal -have been doing this for more years than I can remember - simply cutting~off the filter tip, and using a holder.

However, you're correct in saying the price range varies depending on the brand selected. Windsor Blue, for example, (my own choice) currently cost £6.79 and can last me for more than a fortnight.

I thank you all for your encouragement, and I really think with you guys behind me I can do this... I know its a case of mind over matter, but I have got hold of some patches and a nicorette inhaler...
    Ah, you're welcome. Good Luck!
    Last edited by Arthur Little; 8th September 2016 at 17:08.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Problem is, cigs are just so cheap in the Phils.

For that reason I feel doubly proud of being able to resist the temptation when there... as well as the booze.

Of course having a young baby around also makes either unacceptable, as far as I'm concerned.
    Oh , Graham ... BOTH are unacceptable in those circumstances.

Good luck Harry.

Having never smoked I can't imagine the withdrawal, but I wish you luck.
    i have though had to work in an office where my colleague was a chain smoker and every night after work the stench of smoke was awful on my clothes and skin. You can look forward to a fresher more fragrant life ahead. But maybe look at your walls and ceilings, they might need a lick of paint too. All change

good luck
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Well i dont think 20,s exist now most Brands seem to have cut down to packs of 19, Im told some even do 18,s but the cost varies anything between around £7 up to Im told B&H which are around £9....

I thank you all for your encouragement, and i really think with you guys behind me i can do this... I know its a case of mind over matter, but i have got hold of some patches and a nicorette inhaler...
    I can remember going to the corner shop and buying 2 fags for my brother's, and the shop keeper putting these onto a sweet bag, those was the days

£9that's more than half my weeks food shopping money

Wow, are they really that much now.

I remember when I started at the age of 14. Would get lunch money for school and buy two singles in the morning for 5p each. Then on occasion buy 10 for 81p. Then off course every year in the budget the price went up.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    £9that's more than half my weeks food shopping money
    Come off it Michael, there's no way you are seriously telling us that you feed 2 adults for less than £18 a week

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Come off it Michael, there's no way you are seriously telling us that you feed 2 adults for less than £18 a week
    For one it's ok I would have thought , but that would be in the Phil's, and as we know Michael hates living there too

Trusted Member
    ... and of course in a past younger life, Gra was a company rep' for Carreras Rothman's... complete with Mk3 Cortina liveried to look like a Rothmans Kingsize packet.

1,000 cigs a week free allowance.... never had so many friends.

Oh, and free entry to so many sporting events... as my company was sponsoring most of them at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Stop fishing Simon

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    For one it's ok I would have thought , but that would be in the Phil's, and as we know Michael hates living there too
    In Philippines it was less than that for two of us for a week, it worked out about £15 per week and here for two of us it's about £120 per month

For 2 of us here in the Philippines we spend between P15k-P20k per month on food.
    Means we eat what we want when we want and includes eating out too.

If we wanted to we could easily cut that down to
    P12k-15k per month

Lurpak butter is P274 and the marmalade I like is P150
    Our bread from The French Baker is about P1000 a month.

Possible, but not desirable to cut back on such items .......

In Philippines it was less than that for two of us for a week, it worked out about £15 per week and here for two of us it's about £120 per month
    You're on a winner then Michael, you are saving loads each month, no wonder you are keeping the Phil's afloat with all the cash you are sending there

Stop fishing Simon

You said £9 is more than half your weeks food shopping, so therefore you spend less than £18 a week or £72 a month. You then said you spend £120 a month.
    Not sure what I'm fishing for Michael, but if I catch it I'll send it up for you to cook and save a few pennies

Well the first few hours were easy, starting to get a few withdrawal Pangs now, but nothing too serious yet

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    You're on a winner then Michael, you are saving loads each month, no wonder you are keeping the Phil's afloat with all the cash you are sending there
    The £600 a month I'm now saving is for the new house, Blinds, Light Fittings, plumbing jobs like outside tap and different taps for bath, electrical jobs like lighting and power sockets in loft, Kitchen unit rearranged to in order to place our new Miele tumble dryer, Purchase new Smeg fridge alarm system and our new Alfa Romeo twin air Mito, Landscape and plant up the garden also Pond to build then save more to go to Philippines and live it up, now you know what I'm busy saving for, oh almost forgot, new Oled 4k tv and a 4k Pioneer Blue Ray player plus some other electrical components to order from Russ Andrews. Now you know what I would rather spend on and nothing ever on credit

Now you know what I would rather spend on and nothing ever on credit
    's good, Michael ... very sensible too, if I may say so!

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    's good, Michael ... very sensible too, if I may say so!
    It really upsets me to see people wasting money on Mcdonalds and going to Gym instead of investing in a real home life, I see people waste money on credit cards finance ect instead of saving so they can pay outright for luxuries in life, also why don't parents teach children how to cook and be tidy and clean, discipline starts at home and should continue at school, really should start a new thread instead of going off topic Arthur

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information