Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Short term rental - Meycauayan, Bulacan

Hello folks. I am planning on returning to the Philippines in February and I want to stay for about a month. It's unsure if my girlfriend is going to be able to get time of work so I want to be as close to her and her family as possible, which means staying in Meycauayan, Bulacan. I don't think there are many hotels there, if any, so I am thinking of renting a flat for a month or so. Has anyone got any experience in doing this and/or can recommend anywhere. Thanks.

Try looking on Airbnb

There will be small hotels there for sure, so get your gf to look around and get prices. Make sure she does any booking and for her not to mention it is for a foreigner as the price will be more.

Alternatively, why not stay with her family?
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

I have heard of airbnb but I'm not sure exactly what it is.

I'm sure that her family would let me stay with them but its already full to the brim with their family. There is 9 of them in a 2 bedroom house and my girlfriend has to sleep on the couch in the living room. I would prefer to spend a bit of cash and then she can come and stay with me where we can have some privacy. I always wondered if pri9ces would increase if they knew it was for a foreigner...I'll get her to have a look around and hopefully find somewhere affordable where I can stay for a month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    What an absolute legend!!! Some of those look really good and affordable. I can't book anything now...have to pay off my credit card first but I know where to look closer to the time. Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by ssbib View Post
    What an absolute legend!!! Some of those look really good and affordable. I can't book anything now...have to pay off my credit card first but I know where to look closer to the time. Thank you!!
    About the cheapest on there is 14 Quid a night so thats just over 25K per month..
    If you ask them to do a whole month stay for 15K for a furnished unit, I`d be a bit surprised if they turned it down to be honest..
    Thing is though you will need to find the owners email address or phone and deal with them directly and not through airbnb to get a deal like that.

Trusted Member
    Spot on Fred.

To put things into perspective, me and the better half rented a brand new 1 bed apartment (with balcony !) in her town for p3000 a month.

Ok... had to buy a bed and a couple of chairs for about 40 quid.

It seems like the best way to go when I return - rent for a month I mean. When I last went I stayed in Hotel H2) in Manila. It was really good and a great place to stay for my first visit but it would be too expensive for me to stay there for any length of time.

Speaking of expenses - what is the best and cheapest route to travel to the Philippines? So far I have been using Etihad Airways with a stop over in Abu Dhabi but the prices of the flights are getting more and more expensive.

I use Southall Travel as they always seem to come up with good low cost flights. Others here will post their preferred agents. But I am not too fussy with which airline as they are all of a muchness, but flight times (total route time) is a factor for me.

http://www.southalltravel.co.uk/
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Can I ask what you pay on average each time you fly? What routes do you prefer?

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    We use Philippine Island Connections 02074048877, Crystal Travel 02076120500 or STA travel Manchester 8007814040 (Freephone) prices change all the time but you will often get flights average £500 or thereabout, good luck

Trusted Member
    I like Etihad... and Emirates. Both fly from Manchester too, of course, and usually good prices. Check the journey times, as they vary, though price usually the same.

Flights are cheaper now than say five years ago. In the current climate I'd be looking to pay no more than £500 and I'm quite confident I could get a fare with one of the better airlines for that price. That's Heathrow to Manila by the way which usually is the cheapest route.

The most I've paid is £630 (June 2012) but I left the booking too late. Cheapest was £375 last November.

Trusted Member
    Ask your partner to find the accommodation... local knowledge !

It's also possible a relative may be prepared to rent to you their house... or a room in it. Ask.

Thanks for the information guys. Flights is something I need to do more research on I think as this latest flight for her to come back next month has creased me financially. I'm still saving for the wedding etc. but has left me little for social activities and so on. Worth it when she is here though.

Also, I will ask to see if someone wants to rent me a room. Thats not a bad idea, thanks again.

Try searching on skyscanner or kayak for flights. When putting in a date, search for the whole month rather than a specific date as it can make a big difference. Also check the flight times, what could look like a £30 saving could also be a 12 hour stop over on both legs.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Try searching on skyscanner or kayak for flights. When putting in a date, search for the whole month rather than a specific date as it can make a big difference. Also check the flight times, what could look like a £30 saving could also be a 12 hour stop over on both legs.
    Yeah I've spied some of ridiculous stop over times. Thats one reason I like the Abu Dhabi route - it gives a 4 hour stop over which for me is just enough time to stretch your legs and have a breather and then get back to it (plus allows a generous amount for flight delays etc.)

Trusted Member
    Yeah I've spied some of ridiculous stop over times. Thats one reason I like the Abu Dhabi route - it gives a 4 hour stop over which for me is just enough time to stretch your legs and have a breather and then get back to it (plus allows a generous amount for flight delays etc.)

Agree.

Good airline, good routing, and usually one of the cheapest.

Also, you can choose your seats for all segments in advance, online, plus check in online both outward and return flights... which saves a lot of waiting around at NAIA.

They've just sent me one of their silver loyalty cards the other day... so slightly above peasant class now.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Agree.

Good airline, good routing, and usually one of the cheapest.

Also, you can choose your seats for all segments in advance, online, plus check in online both outward and return flights... which saves a lot of waiting around at NAIA.

They've just sent me one of their silver loyalty cards the other day... so slightly above peasant class now.
    What bonuses do you get with that card? When I called to book for my fiance's return trip the other week they said that I should create a new account for myrself and claim air miles from February and then i can combine them with hers and get her an upgrade to business class. I did that and then they denied my claim for the old miles, saying they were too old. It was their idea!! grrr. They are fairly decent though, the meals are ok too. When my fiance first came over I ordered her an asian vegetarian meal by mistake when I booked. She wasn't best impressed and so couldn't eat on the plane. Luckily she had money to buy something at NAIA beforehand.

Look out for cheap deals with Cathay Pacific because stopovers at Hong Kong are usually around two hours or less plus the airport there is one of the best in the world.

I've managed to get a flight for just over £450 before, but it is quite rare to get one that low.

Respected Member
    Oman Air has the best stopovers I've seen in a long time. Comparable service to Emirates/Qatar etc. Another plug for them from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Trefor View Post
    Oman Air has the best stopovers I've seen in a long time. Comparable service to Emirates/Qatar etc. Another plug for them from me.
    I've never heard of them. What route do they fly?

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Oman Air, prices from £428 to £503 at the moment ex Manchester to Manila for next February, they subcontract to Etihad and China Air

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Oman Air, prices from £428 to £503 at the moment ex Manchester to Manila for next February, they subcontract to Etihad and China Air
    I'll definitely check those out when I am booking my return flight. Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Was considering flying with them last time out for £405. The arrival time in Manila of late evening put me off because it meant 12 hrs less in the Phils.

Quote Originally Posted by Ako Si Jamie View Post
    Was considering flying with them last time out for £405. The arrival time in Manila of late evening put me off because it meant 12 hrs less in the Phils.
    That would do me perfectly. After the flight all I want to do is sleep. I usually arrive at around midnight when flying with Etihad. Plus I think arriving late and sleeping allows me to adjust to the time zone quicker.

Can anyone confirm that the seats with Oman air are generous? I'm a husky gent, heheheh.

That would do me perfectly. After the flight all I want to do is sleep. I usually arrive at around midnight when flying with Etihad. Plus I think arriving late and sleeping allows me to adjust to the time zone quicker.

Can anyone confirm that the seats with Oman air are generous? I'm a husky gent, heheheh.
    I'm different. Can't sleep for toffee after a flight. I've never suffered jet lag so all I want is a dip in the hotel pool and a few cold ones afterwards preferably out in the sunshine.

Look out for cheap deals with Cathay Pacific because stopovers at Hong Kong are usually around two hours or less plus the airport there is one of the best in the world.

I've managed to get a flight for just over £450 before, but it is quite rare to get one that low.
    That would be the perfect price. The flights back and forth and the expense is what creases me with this long distance thing. Well, that and being away from the one I love the most in this world.

I'm different. Can't sleep for toffee after a flight. I've never suffered jet lag so all I want is a dip in the hotel pool and a few cold ones afterwards preferably out in the sunshine.
    To each his own. I couldn't be mothers with either of those things, not straight away.

Respected Member

Yes, their seats are quite good. Bigger than most (esp. Virgn/BA/old Emirates 777s) and as much space as the new A380s from Emirates (but Oman Air fly A330s).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information