Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owners permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Nochex Donate
Donate Now Target £75, So far £0 (0%)


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 45 of 45
  1. #31
    Respected Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    829
    Rep Power
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by ssbib View Post
    That would do me perfectly. After the flight all I want to do is sleep. I usually arrive at around midnight when flying with Etihad. Plus I think arriving late and sleeping allows me to adjust to the time zone quicker.

    Can anyone confirm that the seats with Oman air are generous? I'm a husky gent, heheheh.
    Yes, their seats are quite good. Bigger than most (esp. Virgn/BA/old Emirates 777s) and as much space as the new A380s from Emirates (but Oman Air fly A330s).


  2. #32
    Respected Member Ako Si Jamie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    6,734
    Rep Power
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by ssbib View Post
    Can I ask what you pay on average each time you fly? What routes do you prefer?
    Flights are cheaper now than say five years ago. In the current climate I'd be looking to pay no more than £500 and I'm quite confident I could get a fare with one of the better airlines for that price. That's Heathrow to Manila by the way which usually is the cheapest route.

    The most I've paid is £630 (June 2012) but I left the booking too late. Cheapest was £375 last November.
    The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat (Lily Tomlin)


  3. #33
    Respected Member Ako Si Jamie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    6,734
    Rep Power
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by ssbib View Post
    That would be the perfect price. The flights back and forth and the expense is what creases me with this long distance thing. Well, that and being away from the one I love the most in this world.



    To each his own. I couldn't be mothers with either of those things, not straight away.
    Wait till the heat hits you. You may think differently!
    The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat (Lily Tomlin)


  4. #34
    Respected Member ssbib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Salford, England
    Posts
    173
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Trefor View Post
    Yes, their seats are quite good. Bigger than most (esp. Virgn/BA/old Emirates 777s) and as much space as the new A380s from Emirates (but Oman Air fly A330s).
    That sounds ideal. I'll definitely be able to relax a bit on those. I'm never comfortable on flights but if I can reduce the uncomfortability a bit then that's a bonus.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ako Si Jamie View Post
    Flights are cheaper now than say five years ago. In the current climate I'd be looking to pay no more than £500 and I'm quite confident I could get a fare with one of the better airlines for that price. That's Heathrow to Manila by the way which usually is the cheapest route.

    The most I've paid is £630 (June 2012) but I left the booking too late. Cheapest was £375 last November.
    Wow, wish I could find them that cheap. How far in advance are you booking? I git one for £500 when booking in November for Feb travel but since then I've been paying £1000 with 2 months to the flight. I asked to use my air miles for a discount and so they knocked off £12. Pfft!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ako Si Jamie View Post
    Wait till the heat hits you. You may think differently!
    Haha, I don't do well in the heat when I'm there but I'm not as bad as I thought I would be. It was funny watching my fiancé here in July. It was a good, hot day in London, 25 degrees and she's saying she's too cold, haha. It was her first time away from the Philippines though. Next month I'm taking her to Scotland...she won't know what hit her.


  5. #35
    Respected Member Ako Si Jamie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    6,734
    Rep Power
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by ssbib View Post
    Hello folks. I am planning on returning to the Philippines in February and I want to stay for about a month. It's unsure if my girlfriend is going to be able to get time of work so I want to be as close to her and her family as possible, which means staying in Meycauayan, Bulacan. I don't think there are many hotels there, if any, so I am thinking of renting a flat for a month or so. Has anyone got any experience in doing this and/or can recommend anywhere. Thanks.
    Another option would be to compensate her, if she can take time off work. By that I mean, pay her for what she loses from not working for a week or so. This means you can explore more of the Philippines together instead of staying in some industrialized city for the entirety. I think the average wage is only about £35 per week.

    I've done this myself with my ex who lived in the next province north of Bulacan in a similar kind of city.
    The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat (Lily Tomlin)


  6. #36
    Respected Member Ako Si Jamie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    6,734
    Rep Power
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by ssbib View Post
    Wow, wish I could find them that cheap. How far in advance are you booking? I git one for £500 when booking in November for Feb travel but since then I've been paying £1000 with 2 months to the flight. I asked to use my air miles for a discount and so they knocked off £12. Pfft!!!
    Between two to four months in advance. That price of £1000 is common only around Xmas & New Year. You shouldn't be paying anywhere near that if you're travelling at any other time although Easter is usually more expensive.
    The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat (Lily Tomlin)


  7. #37
    Respected Member ssbib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Salford, England
    Posts
    173
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Ako Si Jamie View Post
    Another option would be to compensate her, if she can take time off work. By that I mean, pay her for what she loses from not working for a week or so. This means you can explore more of the Philippines together instead of staying in some industrialized city for the entirety. I think the average wage is only about £35 per week.

    I've done this myself with my ex who lived in the next province north of Bulacan in a similar kind of city.
    I do that every time she takes time off work to be with me, I don't want her to be without as she is the main provide for her household. However I just don't think her management will let her take anymore leave. She had a week off to see me in February and 2 weeks in July. She has just managed to get another 2 weeks off for another trip here in September but that was really hard to get management to approve it. They were all snooty when she asked and said she should probably just quit her job. We are hoping that if she works really hard over Christmas and has good sales they won't mind her taking time off, but even then it's only 2 weeks when I want to be there for 4 so she'll have to be close to work then. Even I couldn't get time off work for her second trip here. Well I could but had to take unpaid and can only afford to do that for 1 week. Grrr!!


  8. #38
    Respected Member ssbib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Salford, England
    Posts
    173
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Ako Si Jamie View Post
    Between two to four months in advance. That price of £1000 is common only around Xmas & New Year. You shouldn't be paying anywhere near that if you're travelling at any other time although Easter is usually more expensive.
    I wonder why I got shafted then? Is there any Muslim holidays around September which would account for the high prices? Although now I think about it all the cheap seats had been taken and I had to get a flexi option, which made it more expensive. I could find cheaper flights but it meant her arriving a day later and having a longer flight. I'd rather lay the extra £100 and have an extra night together.


  9. #39
    Respected Member Ako Si Jamie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    6,734
    Rep Power
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by ssbib View Post
    I wonder why I got shafted then? Is there any Muslim holidays around September which would account for the high prices? Although now I think about it all the cheap seats had been taken and I had to get a flexi option, which made it more expensive. I could find cheaper flights but it meant her arriving a day later and having a longer flight. I'd rather lay the extra £100 and have an extra night together.
    Nothing to do with Muslim holidays. Who did you book with?
    The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat (Lily Tomlin)


  10. #40
    Respected Member ssbib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Salford, England
    Posts
    173
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Ako Si Jamie View Post
    Nothing to do with Muslim holidays. Who did you book with?
    Direct with Etihad both times. Search through places like Expedia and both were the same price.


  11. #41
    Respected Member Ako Si Jamie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    6,734
    Rep Power
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by ssbib View Post
    Direct with Etihad both times. Search through places like Expedia and both were the same price.
    If you did book with Etihad I suppose it could be to do with Muslim holidays. Not too hot on this topic. Sorry I didn't realise who you booked with.

    I've never seen good prices with Expedia and rarely when booking direct with an airline. Best to check Skyscanner and PIC first, as in my experience, they are the cheapest.
    The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat (Lily Tomlin)


  12. #42
    Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nottinghamshire
    Posts
    9,779
    Rep Power
    150
    By subcontract means that such as Etihad or any other airline sell a number of seats to Oman at an arranged price in order help fill the aircraft, for instance when I've flown with Qatar I've sat next to someone who's booked with British Airways or Qantas


  13. #43
    Respected Member SimonH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Maidenhead
    Posts
    3,592
    Rep Power
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    By subcontract means that such as Etihad or any other airline sell a number of seats to Oman at an arranged price in order help fill the aircraft, for instance when I've flown with Qatar I've sat next to someone who's booked with British Airways or Qantas
    That's called code share Michael, and it must have been a long time ago as Qantas now Code Share with Emirates. When booking your flight have a look at the flight number and that will tell you which airline you're flying with.
    Also, if you can pre book your seats, put your flight details into seatguru.com and that will give you the seat configuration and the best seat choice


  14. #44
    Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nottinghamshire
    Posts
    9,779
    Rep Power
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    That's called code share Michael, and it must have been a long time ago as Qantas now Code Share with Emirates. When booking your flight have a look at the flight number and that will tell you which airline you're flying with.
    Also, if you can pre book your seats, put your flight details into seatguru.com and that will give you the seat configuration and the best seat choice
    Thank you for the correct title, sub contract is a transport industry term, but has just the same meaning


  15. #45
    Respected Member ssbib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Salford, England
    Posts
    173
    Rep Power
    9
    I've never heard of this codesharing business. Seems dodgy to me (I'm sure its legal, just annoying). I hate it when they deliberately overbook flights.


  16. -
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Long term rental
    By stevewool in forum Loose Talk, Chat and Off Topic
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 31st May 2016, 21:19
  2. Short term credit/payday lenders
    By Dedworth in forum Loose Talk, Chat and Off Topic
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 9th June 2011, 21:19
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25th June 2008, 13:11
  4. A short short tail
    By reimori in forum Humour
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27th June 2007, 10:20

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Filipino Forum : Philippine Forum