Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    People who take a thing out of context will always get butt hurt. I dare any of you lot to watch Jimmy Carr and not feel butt hurt in some form. It is comedy. It is satire. People need to grow up and see the whole picture in context. Mock the week is a great and funny show.

https://youtu.be/3y_V4rO-ZnQ

Jimmy Carr takes the pee out of anything and anyone, watch around the 8 to 12 minute time if you want to be offended.
    Just watched a little, laughed at some of it but I also had a lot of shocks, I'm more used to Hancock and Tommy Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Just watched a little, laughed at some of it but I also had a lot of shocks, I'm more used to Hancock and Tommy Cooper
    Therein lies the issues with comedy and satire. In my mind a lot of the comedy that was around post war was always racist and the examples you give were part of that post war movement, along with the Carry On group and many many more. At the time it was ok to call immigrants all sorts of names that today you can't because you would cause offense. Today, there are many comedians who are restricted by political correctness, so when they fly close to the line everyone is so faux shocked. Shows like Mock the Week, comedians like Jimmy Carr play on the edge, but this is where modern comedy has to lay. We have heard all the old jokes before, let's enjoy a 21st century joke in the way and in the context they are meant.

As as a side to this, I have been to a few comedy clubs in Manila. At each one I have been singled out as the white man in the room and I have been on stage with Jose Manalo where he was taking the pee out of me in Tagalog so I didn't know what he was saying. Something about foreskins I believe. I think Filipinos will understand that joke. Was I upset? No.... It's all a joke.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    As as a side to this, I have been to a few comedy clubs in Manila. At each one I have been singled out as the white man in the room and I have been on stage with Jose Manalo where he was taking the pee out of me in Tagalog so I didn't know what he was saying. Something about foreskins I believe. I think Filipinos will understand that joke. Was I upset? No.... It's all a joke.
    Hahaha, glad to know I'm not the only one...

I got pulled out of the crowd by Arnell Ignacio. He got me doing all kinds of crazy stuff and I had no idea what he was saying, everyone was laughing, including my wife, so I was quite happy just continuing. All just a joke for me too Steve.

I got quite quite well known and recognised fort ages afterwards too.

Any white guys of a sensitive nature should stay away from those comedy clubs.........you'll likely get plucked from the audience

Trusted Member
    They certainly seem to get a good laugh out of my epic performances on the karaoke .

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    They certainly seem to get a good laugh out of my epic performances on the karaoke .
    Yeah but thats that because its pure comedy Graham!

Trusted Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information