Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: Shingles

Trusted Member

Shingles

Shingles ( herpes zoster ) is a viral infection of a nerve and the area of skin supplied by the nerve. It’s the same virus that causes chickenpox. Uncommon to have shingles, and even less likely to have chickenpox, more than once.

The virus DOESN'T completely go after chickenpox - it remains " dormant " in the nerve roots next to the spinal cord.

Symptoms are :- pain, then a rash which blisters and eventually heals after 3 - 4 weeks. A few people have skin infection with bacteria needing antibiotics ; persistent pain ; or rare complications like infection of the brain.

Pain and discomfort can be eased by painkillers, local dressings and creams.

Antiviral drugs are not routinely advised - they stop the virus from multiplying in severe cases. Other drugs may sometimes be tried, but there is NO cure.

Shingles is relatively common - estimated between 1 in 10 ( Philippines ) and 1 in 5 ( UK ), especially over the age of 50.

If you have not had chickenpox before, you CAN catch it from someone with shingles ( direct contact with skin blisters ).

You CAN'T catch shingles from someone either with shingles OR chickenpox.

Shingles MAY only be prevented if you never have chickenpox, OR you have very good immunity against chickenpox. Most people acquire immunity through having chickenpox as a child ( common ; less serious than in adulthood ). Anyone with chickenpox is highly infectious - the virus spreads in the air from person to person.

It’s thought that shingles increases with age because of weakening of the immune system.

The chickenpox ( " varicella-zoster " ) vaccine, known as " Varilrix " in UK and Philippines, is available for prescription in the UK and Philippines It's not, to my knowledge, part of the routine vaccination programme.

A " stronger " varicella-zoster vaccine is recommended on the UK NHS for adults over 70 years old. A single dose may protect, but not completely prevent, for several years ( booster dose may be required ). It’s been available in the Philippines since late 2014 ( ~ P 7,500 ). The trade name is the same as in the UK ( " Zostavax " ).

More information on this link.

I had a small bout of this, or something very similar last year. No blisters or rash really, just very sensitive skin around my sides and back mostly. Very painful.

Thanks for the write up Alan
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Trusted Member
    My father was a sufferer (Shingles). Yes, it came on later in life.

Us kids all had chickenpox back in 1959.

My son had it too, when aged about 7years.

I had BOTH ... chickenpox, as a kid, and an attack of shingles at 27 years old.

However ... ... the latter does tend to be more common among the over 50s - and the elderly - as Alan indicates.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    I also had Shingles down the right hand side of my face when I was 47 years of age, indescribable pain, my local surgery contacted me today to ask me if I would like a vaccination for Shingles and I said I would have a think about it, should I or should I not? Thank you Alan for the information on Shingles

Trusted Member
    Thanks for your responses Steve, Graham, Arthur, and Michael

I had chickenpox at 14 years, thinking at first it was a crop of acne ! So far I've opted not to have the shingles vaccine.

Chickenpox vaccine is NOT routinely offered to children in the UK, as the infection is usually mild, and " natural immunity " is preferred. The rationale is that natural infection in childhood is preferable to adulthood - when both chickenpox and shingles are more likely to be severe. " Routine " vaccination might mean those reaching adulthood who had NOT been vaccinated could therefore be more at risk, if they then got infected.

Routine vaccination against chickenpox IS offered in other countries such as Australia and USA. The UK policy will now ( again ) be reviewed following a recent severe case resulting in a 5 day hospital stay for a 2 years old toddler. Thankfully the child has recovered.

Yes, I saw this featured in a tv program today, quite sever and shocking to see. But as you say Alan, the child has made a full recovery.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

I had chicken pox at the age of 5 and a few complications with it, resulting in being off school for nearly a month. Since then I've had 3 bouts of shingles, one aged 42, another at 54 and the last at 56. On each of the occasions, unbeknown to me at the time, I was in contact with chicken pox sufferers just before each outbreak of shingles. Quite odd and probably a coincidence but strange all the same ...........

Thread Information