Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Nation Of Caffeine Addicts

's according to 'War on Waste' campaigner, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall ... who reckons Brits - in common with Americans and Italians - consume more cups of coffee per person than can be found just about ANYWHERE else on the planet. You only need take a stroll along any street in ... ... any town of reasonable size, he says, to come across people clutching cardboard containers (fused with a special substance called polyethylene). And the guy has a point!

Consequently, it is estimated some 2.5 billion of these emptied receptacles a year are dumped in recycling bins ... a BIG mistake, given the cartons are made of *non~recyclable materials. And, of course, ... *therein lies the problem - NOT, in fact, - as the man himself, explains:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36882799

Trusted Member
    Well maybe it's time our idiot government brought in a law making it compulsory to use recyclable materials for such things, in-between wasting Parliamenary time and taxpayers' money on nonsense like same-sex marriage etc, which affects a tiny minority of this country's population, and is of miniscule importance compared with the serious environmental issues which are set to destroy our planet's ecosystem !

It's about time the litter laws were properly enforced too... should we happen to see an odd police officer out of his or her car.

Respected Member
    Never drank coffee or tea, I've never been a fan of hot drinks and even soup is a rarity for me (in a bowl). When I see how much people spunk in coffee shops I just shrug my shoulders and move on. America is definitely more addicted than the UK though.

Trusted Member
    Yes, and some of these same people paying £2 for a cuppa in Costa, are on benefits... complaining (in between puffs on their fag) that they cannot afford to feed themselves and their two pit bull terriers without visiting a food bank.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Yes, and some of these same people paying £2 for a cuppa in Costa, are on benefits... complaining (in between puffs on their fag) that they cannot afford to feed themselves and their two pit bull terriers without visiting a food bank.
    Never ever bought a cup of coffee, have it at home if I ever want one

I love my cups of tea, better if made by someone else and even better if we are out and someone else pays,

Trusted Member
    I made sure I took my sarnies and a bottle of water with me even when I had a window-shopping trip over to Leeds market yesterday... using my free bus pass of course.

30-mile round-trip, and I bought 4lbs of spuds.

On the drive from Manila to San Jose City we stopped at a service station coffee shop.
    I paid P110 for a smallish cappuccino
    It was nice, but I thought very expensive. The place was pretty full too.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Agree, on the benefits programs they deliberately film them with fags going to wind us up, me thinks

I do not use any High St coffee shops at their rip off prices, wait until I get home, then I drink mostly Bovril.
    Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    On the drive from Manila to San Jose City we stopped at a service station coffee shop.
    I paid P110 for a smallish cappuccino
    It was nice, but I thought very expensive. The place was pretty full too.
    I bet the till was too. Hmmm yeah P110 for a coffee in the Phils isn't exactly cheap is it? Perhaps that's the 'foreigner' price!

Trusted Member
    I'd be wanting a meal for two for 110 pesos !

Even in Malate I found a place doing instant coffee for p10 a cup.

Thread Information