Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Just Married my Filipino Fiance, what visa next?

Hi Everyone,

I married my Filipino Fiance on Saturday in the UK, she is on a fiance visa, I don't know exactly what to go for next, is it the spouse visa or FLR, and is there a difference, or what are the differences?

I would really appreciate some help, as time is running out....

thanks in advance,

Steve & Maricel

Congratulations on your marriage.

Your new wife now needs to apply for FLR ( Further Leave to Remain)
    The FLR will include the BRP application.

She'll need to fork out for the NHS surcharge now.

More expense, but well worth it

Onwards and upwards

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Congratulations on your marriage.

Your new wife now needs to apply for FLR ( Further Leave to Remain)
    The FLR will include the BRP application.

She'll need to fork out for the NHS surcharge now.

More expense, but well worth it

Onwards and upwards
    Hi Terpe, thank you very much for your reply, I should have made clear that we are in the UK and got married in the UK, does this change anything?

thanks again,

sdm

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sdm View Post
    Hi Terpe, thank you very much for your reply, I should have made clear that we are in the UK and got married in the UK, does this change anything?

thanks again,

sdm
    What Terpe said was for someone who got married in the UK.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Hi Everyone,

Is this easy to do yourself or should I use an immigration lawyer?

and advice again most welcome,

sdm

I think the consensus will tell you to save your money and do it yourself. At least then you know exactly what is going into your application. Why pay someone to do this?
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Congrats to you both , its easy to do it yourself, just pop on here and someone will come along and give free advice ,
    When i say its easy , it is but your mind will say its not , trust me

Thank you to Everyone of you for your replies and congratulations, we are looking forward to a long and happy life together. I think I will do the visa Myself, thanks again!

sdm

Thank you to Everyone of you for your replies and congratulations, we are looking forward to a long and happy life together. I think I will do the visa Myself, thanks again!

sdm
    You can submit the FLR application as soon as you like after the wedding.
    Most folks do it themselves. There's not a great deal of differences in supporting documents when going from Fiancee to FLR anyway.

Do be sure to read the app'ication forms and guidance notes before filling out the form.
    Under your current circumstances I see no reason at all to spend significant sums of money on immigration lawyers, but it's a personal choice based on your confidence, time and budget.

Hi Everyone,

can anybody just clarify the sequence of British Residency or Citizenship?

is it for example Fiance Visa then FLR for 2 and a half years then another FLR for another 2 and a half years then ILR after 5 years?

After 5 years can my wife then get a British Passport? Seems like a long and expensive process.....

sdm.

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar
    Hi Everyone,

can anybody just clarify the sequence of British Residency or Citizenship?

is it for example Fiance Visa then FLR for 2 and a half years then another FLR for another 2 and a half years then ILR after 5 years?

After 5 years can my wife then get a British Passport? Seems like a long and expensive process.....

sdm.
    Yes you are correct after fiance visa FLR for 30 months then again for another 30 months then finally ILR and on top of that is the NHS surcharge on top of each of the applications for FLR of an extra £500 but not for ILR.

No your wife cannot apply for a british passport after ILR she first has to jump through one more final hoop of the Naturalisation process which adds an additional £1,156 at 2016/17 rates and plans for further hikes in the future.

Like you said very expensive indeed but as quoted by the former Home Secretary Theresa May "It's not a right to become British but a privilege" Ha Ha what a laugh by the Tory hierarchy...

British Citizenship is expensive.
    It takes time and dedication too.

Yes, IMHO British Citizenship and a British passport is a privilege. A very good a useful one too.

Of course it's not at all mandatory. Once ILR has been granted the holder may remain in the UK indefinitely without further expense. Although there is still the restriction about not leaving the UK for more than 2 years without returning.

It's really a personal choice. If you agree with the added time and expense for application then go for the special privilege.
    If you don't agree then don't bother.

Your decision.

After reading this thread, is there a benefit to getting married in England as opposed to the Philippines? Am I right in thinking that the process for marriage in the Philippines would mean applying for settlement visa then FLR and then ILrR and finally citizenship? If you go down English marriage route it's fiancé visa then FLR then FLR then ILR and citizenship?

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ssbib View Post
    After reading this thread, is there a benefit to getting married in England as opposed to the Philippines? Am I right in thinking that the process for marriage in the Philippines would mean applying for settlement visa then FLR and then ILrR and finally citizenship? If you go down English marriage route it's fiancé visa then FLR then FLR then ILR and citizenship?
    Yep that's correct. The only difference will be the extra visa for fiancee plus fiancee visa holders aren't allowed to work until she gets the FLR, unlike those who arrived here married already.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    Yep that's correct. The only difference will be the extra visa for fiancee plus fiancee visa holders aren't allowed to work until she gets the FLR, unlike those who arrived here married already.
    Ah, ok. I understand now. Presumably she would have to leave the country between fiance visa and FLR unless you are married early in the 6 months and apply straight away. You answered my question that I just asked in my thread about working when on FLR. Good to know that she will be able to find work.

Thread Information