Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Talking Health Is Wealth

How many of you have perchanced across this "cheery" little quotation?

... "It is not the cough that carries you off

But the coffin they carry you off in
    !
    "

"Off 'n' on" just about sums up the way I've been feeling during these past couple of weeks after being struck down by what began as an irritating tickle at the back of my throat ... gradually developing into a hacking, ing cough that had me [almost] bent double, clutching my knees gasping for breath at times and was invariably worse when I was lying down at night.

Oh ... ... I tried all sorts of over the counter cough mixtures; nothing seemed to shift it!

Finally, this forenoon, I went to my GP's surgery. Turns out to've been a serious chest infection ... which my immune system has obviously had difficulty in fighting because of the Type 2 Diabetes I was diagnosed with a few years ago. In fact I've been prescribed a course of Amoxicillin 500mg antibiotic capsules to be taken 3 x daily over the next 5 days.

So ... look after your health!

Respected Member
    Yes, health is the most valuable thing you can't always buy, but you can do your best to keep up. As you er, mature it is even more important to keep on top of things.

Get well soon, those drugs are strong!

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post

!
    "

"Off 'n' on" just about sums up the way I've been feeling during these past couple of weeks after being struck down by what began as an irritating tickle at the back of my throat ... gradually developing into a hacking, ing cough that had me [almost] bent double, clutching my knees gasping for breath at times and was invariably worse when I was lying down at night.

Oh ... ... I tried all sorts of over the counter cough mixtures; nothing seemed to shift it!

Finally, this forenoon, I went to my GP's surgery. Turns out to've been a serious chest infection ... which my immune system has obviously had difficulty in fighting because of the Type 2 Diabetes I was diagnosed with a few years ago. In fact I've been prescribed a course of Amoxicillin 500mg antibiotic capsules to be taken 3 x daily over the next 5 days.

You look after yours too Arthur, hope you recover quickly!

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post

!
    "

Sorry to hear about your cough,
    But there is a lot of it about, our office has had this going on about the same time, its done the rounds and it seems to be doing the same again,
    3 weeks i have to wait to see the doctor, like you i have tried lots of things the best is water, its annoying, but i can sleep better then i used to a week back

Arthur, my Father has had exactly the same thing as you describe. He went to see his doctor and had a 3 week course of an antibiotic. Seems to have cleared up ok now.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Trusted Member
    Hopefully you will get well soon, Arthur, as for all other members and their loved ones who may be suffering with a cough.

There’s little evidence " over-the-counter " cough " medicines " actually work. Resting where possible, drinking plenty water, and paracetamol to relieve symptoms such as fever, are often all that’s necessary.

A cough is simply a reflex action to clear the airways of irritants such as dust or smoke. Mucus / phlegm is the result of inflamed air passages ( bronchi ) reacting to the irritation or infection. Infection is usually caused by one of the 200 or so types of cold virus - which may either remain in the upper air passages as a " head cold ", or spread further down the air passages to the large airways / bronchi or " chest cold ".

Problems arise if " bugs " / bacteria take advantage of the inflammation to cause infection - more likely in people whose defence mechanisms are reduced by underlying health issues. These may be in the lungs - chronic ( long standing ) bronchitis ; or if other long term health conditions are present. Young and old people are more at risk of acute infective bronchitis.

Coughs are extremely common, not just in the UK. Unless they persist for several weeks, and the mucus / phlegm is thick, green/brown/blood stained, with other symptoms such as fever, wheezing, chest pain, weight loss, then in the majority they will improve without needing a doctor.

As for antibiotics, while we know they have revolutionised medicine, widespread use in medicine and agriculture has encouraged resistant strains. With few new antibiotics being developed, there is a real threat to public health. There is now an attempt to reduce antibiotic prescribing in UK general practices if rates are higher than average. Antibiotics should not be bought without a doctor’s prescription - whether in UK or Philippines - they may be fake, and even if genuine, unnecessary.

One member recently asked if I was " fun " at a party !! I’m lucky to have attended several parties celebrating my 70th birthday. But retired doctors also fall ill, and I have only recently recovered from acute bronchitis - self-diagnosed and without antibiotics. Indeed we ALL need to look after our health, regardless of age .

Interesting read, thanks Alan.
    Next time I have a party I'll send you an invite, but leave your germs at home

Oh Arthur, I hope you're felling better and get well soon

Alan, you are lucky enough to have been in a profession where you can self diagnose. Many of us would be straight on the internet and scare ourselves with all sort of horror illnesses.

Glad to hear you are feeling better now though.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Trusted Member
    Thanks Simon and Steve

Feeling better thank you, and ready to party again - appropriate for my age .

Thanks to each of you for your kind well~wishes ... which are, as always, very much appreciated.

... ageing undeniably renders us more vulnerable to the sort of infection I've been laid low with - as we've been reading in the case of Steve R's dad - and even our own Doc Alan has just recently recovered from an acute bronchial attack.

Once again, Alan ... we're grateful for your expertise.
    Last edited by Arthur Little; 5th May 2016 at 22:19.

Trusted Member
    Get well soon Arthur !

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Get well soon Arthur !
    Getting there slowly, mate ... thanks.

Thread Information