Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Question Bringing Wife's Daughter to the UK (Permanently)

Hello there!

My wife is now a British Citizen (since last November), she has now said that she wants her daughter to join us here in the UK.

I've briefly looked into the Visa requirement and have been told that one of the requirements is that we will need a letter from the child's father (wife's ex-husband) to say he allows my wife to take the child from the Philippines to live in UK. The child is currently 16 years old.

The problem we have is that the child's father has not been involved in her life for many, many years and we have no contact details for him. My wife said that the last thing she heard was that he was living somewhere on Cebu Island.

What happens in a case like this? No contact details for a child's father, so how can consent be obtained??

Many thanks
    Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by New Shoes View Post
    Hello there!

My wife is now a British Citizen (since last November), she has now said that she wants her daughter to join us here in the UK.

I've briefly looked into the Visa requirement and have been told that one of the requirements is that we will need a letter from the child's father (wife's ex-husband) to say he allows my wife to take the child from the Philippines to live in UK. The child is currently 16 years old.

The problem we have is that the child's father has not been involved in her life for many, many years and we have no contact details for him. My wife said that the last thing she heard was that he was living somewhere on Cebu Island.

What happens in a case like this? No contact details for a child's father, so how can consent be obtained??

Many thanks
    Dave.
    Who will sponsor the child ?
    Is the biological father named in the childs birth certificate?
    Which part of the application and requirements does it says it needs a letter from the father? Who is looking after the child?
    Sorry too many questions...but your wife, if she's sponsoring her child needs to prove ''sole responsibility''
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

As a first step take some time to review UKVI Guidance - Children: SET07

Here's the link:-
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...children-set07

Pay special attention to SET7.8 What is sole responsibility

Hi New Shoes,
    We were in a similar situation about 4 years ago with my stepson, The father lives somewhere in America. Our problems started long before being able to apply for the visa, our first step was to renew his passport ready for the visa application. Because we were married and Mum has my surname, the passport office refused to issue a passport. The passport office in Cagayan wanted the biological fathers permission, we even tried going to Cebu for his passport but they also refused on the grounds that Mum had remarried and he would leave the country without the father consent. Our way forward was for Mum to get custody through the court. After a frustrating time waiting she was given custody and they issued a passport. The UK Visa was easy with no questions about sole repondsibility and was issued within 10 days. Thinking back, if it would have been possible to get his passport without custody I was planning to write an explanation letter based on the court annulment papers (no contact or support from father) along with other evidence school fees, receipts, evidence of money sent in support. affidavit from the family that the father has no contact, Skype log, phone records or anything to prove regular contact and she is still very much part of his life.

Thread Information