Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Passport renewal hassles..

OK..So I eventually agreed for the Mrs to send her passport application along with our kids to Liverpool for renewal.. She also sent colour photo copies of their R.P passports..Which I now regret!

We received 3 separate emails saying this..

I note that you are applying for a British passport in the name (Her first name and married surname) You have also forwarded a copy of your Philippines passport in the name of (First name Mothers maiden name married surname).
    From these documents Her Majesty's Passport Office has evidence which confirms that the name of (First name Married surname) which you have entered on your application form is not actually being used for all purposes and you are in fact holding current documents issued in different names.
    For us to issue a passport in the name of (First name, Married surname, you would need to change the name shown on Philippines passport, or be able to show that an application has been made to the relevant authorities to change this.
    If you have changed your name to (First name Married surname), please provide documentary evidence to confirm this.

Same letter to kids that are both over 16...
    Of course,this is not possible as the name on a Filipino document requires the mothers maiden name or the fathers family name (if married)

So how to move forward?? We have answered all emails explaining the reasons but I am expecting a HMPO standard sorry but its policy type reply..

This is the type of issues us Expats can expect when UK passport renewals can no longer be processed at the Brit embassy in Manila...

I remember Jake said he had his families passports renewed but didn't seem to have this issue from HMPO.

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....ssport+renewal

What you should have done is to come here and have a years holiday and get the passports done while you enjoy the weather and sites with the family

I am currently having a similar problem trying to get my step daughters British passport changed as i have now legally adopted her, so her surname has changed. I sent off the application with both British and Filipino passports with the adoption certificate. They sent back a similarly worded letter to Fred's saying a passport could not be issued as the surname on the Filipino passport did not match that on the application. They then offered to return my documents so i could get the Filipino passport changed to her new surname. After several phone calls and a formal request letter from me, the documents were returned........then several days later a letter from them informing me i had 6 weeks to return the corrected documents else my application would be destroyed and my fee NOT refunded......nice!
    The problem is, in order to get her name changed on her Philippine passport, i first need to notify the embassy in London of her adoption, which of course has to be done in person. The embassy then send the application off to the Philippines to make an official change to the Birth certificate held by the NSO. Once I get the new revised NSO birth certificate, I can then apply to revise the Philippines passport.....which will enable me to apply for a revised British passport. In six weeks?????......i think not as it will probably take 3 visits to the Phil embassy in London and about 6 weeks to get the NSO birth certificate back!
    The British passport office are currently processing my complaints about their helpline and documentation which tell you absolutely nothing about this before you submit your application. The post office check and send service is also part of my complaint having failed to notice the passport name problem and also insisting the application needed countersigning when all the documentation said it was not needed for a name change.
    The complaints section recently responded to my last letter of complaint requesting details of when i phoned their helpline (probably thinking i wouldn't respond). Fortunately i was able to respond with the dates, times, duration and cost of 2 calls before i submitted my application and 1 call after receiving their refusal letter. They have now written again to inform me they are investigating my complaints. I have requested that they refund all my fees plus expenses as had i known beforehand, i wouldn't have made the application to change the British passport first and their helpline, PO check and send, and online documentation failed to provide correct information. Fortunately, i have my step daughters passport back so she is still able to go on her school trip in March. I will let you know the outcome of my complaint to them.
    Last edited by lordna; 4th February 2016 at 00:19. Reason: STICKY on my keyboard

Lordna.. Keep us updated on progress..
    I will temper my anger and frustration till we get a reply to our concise explanation to them.

We didn't have this problem when we applied for Shey's passport even though her British nationilation certificate was in her previous married name and her British passport was in her maiden name.
    From memory we just sent the certificate and not her Filipino passort with a covering witnessed solicitors letter stating that she had reverted back to her maiden name for all legal purposes.
    I'll dig out all the relevant paperwork when we get back home and update. Hopefully it may be of some use

Thanks Simon..
    Fortunately this is not an urgent matter as we have no immediate plans to visit the UK.
    If we had though,it would be a complete and utter nightmare as it seems HMPO has absolutely no qualms about stranding their citizens in foreign countries..

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Thanks Simon..
    Fortunately this is not an urgent matter as we have no immediate plans to visit the UK.
    If we had though,it would be a complete and utter nightmare as it seems HMPO has absolutely no qualms about stranding their citizens in foreign countries..
    Seems a complicated situation Fred, hope both you and Lordna get your Passport issues resolved

So how do you pay if you have no UK credit card???

Quote Originally Posted by jonnijon View Post
    So how do you pay if you have no UK credit card???
    Fortunately I have family in the UK willing to let me use theirs..
    Otherwise??

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Seems a complicated situation Fred, hope both you and Lordna get your Passport issues resolved
    25 years ago I was so proud of my Black British passport..It gave a great feeling of security whilst travelling and living abroad.
    That feeling has long gone Micheal.

25 years ago I was so proud of my Black British passport..It gave a great feeling of security whilst travelling and living abroad.
    25 years ago! Oh dear, ... you'd expect even better service a quarter of a century later - instead of one step forward and two steps back - in these so~called modern times.

Having read yours and Lordna's respective posts, Fred ... I truly sympathise ... and hope the passport issues will be rectified soon for you BOTH!!

Thank you Arthur.. I hope so too.

Black???? Never seen one of those, I must admit I still feel that sense of security Fred!

Black???? Never seen one of those, I must admit I still feel that sense of security Fred!
    They were actually very dark blue and were replaced by our current ones about 30 years ago.
    The only reason I know they were dark blue is I lost a bet years ago, like Fred swearing they were black and it wasn't until I placed one next to something black that my eyes could distinguish the colour difference

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    They were actually very dark blue and were replaced by our current ones about 30 years ago.
    The only reason I know they were dark blue is I lost a bet years ago, like Fred swearing they were black and it wasn't until I placed one next to something black that my eyes could distinguish the colour difference
    Really?? Oh well..I always thought they were Black!!

I phoned the Consul in Manila and spoke with the Crustiest and most un courtius, un helpful English Bitch that I have ever come across!! (and I've come across a few)
    I asked if I could speak with someone perhaps a little older with more knowledge and experience but apparently there was no one available.
    Says it all really..

That`s good Micheal and I am very pleased for you..Lets hope you never have to put it to test.

Occasionally,its like we live on entirely different planets Micheal!

What a palaver
    Have you had any more replies from HMPO?

My kids have there mothers maiden name as one of the given names on their British passports. Not sure how it happened but it did!

I phoned the Consul in Manila and spoke with the Crustiest and most un courtius, un helpful English Bitch that I have ever come across!! (and I've come across a few)
    I asked if I could speak with someone perhaps a little older with more knowledge and experience but apparently there was no one available.
    Says it all really..
    Just goes to show they are clueless.
    Good job we dont/didn't have to rely on the Embassy staff to learn about the rules and practices of the Philippines!

What a palaver
    Have you had any more replies from HMPO?
    No reply.
    Called the "Helpline" in Liverpool..
    They were no help.
    Brit abroad with no passport??? You are pretty much screwed.

Try the Belfast office, they screwed up my passport by cutting the corner off to invalidate it when I sent it to apply for Charleighs first passport. When I rang them they reacted brilliantly, and had a new replacement with me within 4 days

Speak to Christine Pilgrim on 028 9078 9464. She's the customer service liaison manager

Thanks Simon..I will do that tomorrow..Very much appreciated.

Is she in Belfast?? They normally say I have to deal directly with Liverpool.. I`ll try anyway.

Ive been reading other comments from Brits all around the world with the same issues..Some real horror stories...People broke and stuck there.
    These call center agents seem to be singing from the same policy sheet...No empathy for Brit citizens at all...Like Robots smothered in red tape...Crazy.

Yes, she's in Belfast but she's the contact I had and was very polite and efficient in replying to emails and sorting my cock up out

Is she in Belfast?? They normally say I have to deal directly with Liverpool.. I`ll try anyway.
    I think the HMPO call centre is based in Belfast. When i made a mistake with one of my applications, i spoke to a Irish lady. Good luck!!

Looks like the PP`s are here via DHL.. They ended up putting the same name as the R.P passports.. Requirements were local Statutory declarations that these names will be used for all purposes..
    All`s well that ends well I suppose.

Looks like the PP`s are here via DHL.. They ended up putting the same name as the R.P passports.. Requirements were local Statutory declarations that these names will be used for all purposes..
    All`s well that ends well I suppose.
    Pleased your sorted at last Fred

Thanks to a very helpful lady in Belfast office, common sense won my case and i was refunded the passport fees i paid. Liverpool help line were completely useless.

My daughter has her passport so she can go on her French trip next week and i still need to get her name changed on her Philippine passport first.

Glad to hear yours is sorted too Fred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information