Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Life in the UK Test - Not required for FLR (M) 5 year route?

Hi
    I am starting the process of the second application of FLR(M), my wife having completed 2 1/2 years on the first part following our marriage. I was under the impression that she needed to pass the Life in the UK test, but for the life of me I cannot find any reference to this requirement on the visa application document (Version 11/2015) the only mention of Life in UK is :-

Section 2.3 regarding reason for application "You require further leave to remain to obtain the relevant qualifications to meet the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK (KoLL) requirements to apply for indefinite leave to remain." We are not applying for ILR so doesn't count.
    Section 8 regarding English language requirements "Please note a pass in the Life in the UK test is not accepted as evidence that you have met the English language requirement."

These are the only 2 references to Life in UK
    So have I been sending poor wifey off to the test centre for no reason? LOL

Baz

You will need to do the life in the UK test for ILR at some point so don't think it has been for no reason.

The sooner the better in my opinion as if its not passed by the time ILR comes along you will need to apply for a second FLR instead which would then become more expensive.

It's definitely worth getting sooner rather than later.

Thanks Cheekee, will let her continue with the tests, really don't know what made me think it was required for FLR!

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BazJaz View Post
    Hi
    I am starting the process of the second application of FLR(M), my wife having completed 2 1/2 years on the first part following our marriage. I was under the impression that she needed to pass the Life in the UK test, but for the life of me I cannot find any reference to this requirement on the visa application document (Version 11/2015) the only mention of Life in UK is :-

Section 2.3 regarding reason for application "You require further leave to remain to obtain the relevant qualifications to meet the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK (KoLL) requirements to apply for indefinite leave to remain." We are not applying for ILR so doesn't count.
    Section 8 regarding English language requirements "Please note a pass in the Life in the UK test is not accepted as evidence that you have met the English language requirement."

These are the only 2 references to Life in UK
    So have I been sending poor wifey off to the test centre for no reason? LOL

Baz
    Baz, you haven't been sending her for no reason because you will require it for Citizenship, nice to have you back!

Quote Originally Posted by cheekee View Post
    You will need to do the life in the UK test for ILR at some point so don't think it has been for no reason.

The sooner the better in my opinion as if its not passed by the time ILR comes along you will need to apply for a second FLR instead which would then become more expensive.

It's definitely worth getting sooner rather than later.
    ... sooner the better!

Thread Information