Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very scared

Very scared

Just though I would share something that's happened to us in the past few months.We went for a 3 week holiday to Philippines a little while ago and stayed like usual in Iligan City.Me my wife and our baby daughter.we were in the Mall there when I noticed a chap looking at us whilst we sat in Jolibee.He was on his phone.it made me feel very uneasy so I got us all moving and went out the restaurant and up 1 level.sure enough this man followed us and didn't take the phone away from his ear.we moved about the first level and always had an eye on this guy(I didn't inform my wife yet incase I was wrong)so in order to be sure I went up to the cinema level.sure enough there he was again following us and on his phone.This continued for about 20 minutes so then I went back down to the first level where this man met up with another and they both followed us.by this time I had alerted my wife.I finally made the decision to get the hire car and move as quickly as possible out of that situation.Am I being stupid in thinking this may have been someone scouting for an abduction or kidnapping??I can't see any other reason for this mans actions.luckily I always pay a security guard to have a special parking space near the entrance doors so there was always plenty eyes watching us etc but in the end I was very nervous.I ended up causing 30k damage to the car whilst reversing.Never again!

I can understand why this made you feel uneasy, I do not know what I would have done!
    Mick.

Trusted Member
    I would have walked up to him and asked him what he was doing...after first checking for bulges under his shirt.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Well, first of all it's great that your home and safe, must admit I would have felt just the way you did, also sorry you damaged the hire car. A very worrying experience!

I would have felt the same as he was following you.

When we were in a province on the way to moalboal on a motorbike we stopped at a seven eleven and two guys were eying us up. My wife made me ride off quickly as she was concerned.

The Philippines is generally an OK place to visit.
    But it can seem like the wild west at times.

No offence intended here but there are quite a few places that I'd personally avoid in Mindanao and Iligan City is one of them.

I agree that it was a scary event. I'm not sure what I'd have done given the same circumstances and with a small child involved too.

I might have tried to have a security guard with me to approach the man and ask him some questions.

In principle, on every issue of safety and security only one person can decide what you should do – you.

Anyway glad you all safe and secure now.
    Does seem a very unusual happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    The Philippines is generally an OK place to visit.
    But it can seem like the wild west at times.

No offence intended here but there are quite a few places that I'd personally avoid in Mindanao and Iligan City is one of them.

I agree that it was a scary event. I'm not sure what I'd have done given the same circumstances and with a small child involved too.

I might have tried to have a security guard with me to approach the man and ask him some questions.

In principle, on every issue of safety and security only one person can decide what you should do – you.

Anyway glad you all safe and secure now.
    Does seem a very unusual happening.
    I think he did the right thing...Completely aware of the situation,highly aware with a plan to exit.. "Security guards" here are F..ing useless..They are there for one reason only and that is to stop anyone stealing their bosses merchandise.. Never rely on a Filipino "security guard unless you are paying them...
    Even then..Dont rely on them.. They are poorly paid and incompetent lackies IMO..Nothing more.

I wonder whether it might have been more to do with the child ?

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    I think he did the right thing...Completely aware of the situation,highly aware with a plan to exit.. "Security guards" here are F..ing useless..They are there for one reason only and that is to stop anyone stealing their bosses merchandise.. Never rely on a Filipino "security guard unless you are paying them...
    Even then..Dont rely on them.. They are poorly paid and incompetent lackies IMO..Nothing more.
    The Security guards at 'Why Not' in Dumaguete get paid p100 per day for a 14 hour shift, disgusting!

Yes Fred I completely agree with you there.I did think about approaching a security guard but in my experience they are not much use.my wife is from Iligan city so I didn't really have much choice.I am usually very aware of what's happening around me when I'm there but always felt safe in the mall.when I mentioned it to my wife she agreed they were up to no good and since then we have discussed that even a remote possibility of something happening is too much risk.It really made me think twice about my plan of retiring there later on in life.it is getting worse there as we all know by watching the news.we do personally know people who have been abducted there and my wife's family have been within metres of a grenade which was dispersed into the crowd a couple years ago in Iligan.I don't think I will be spending much time there in the foreseeable future

I would have walked out straight away and would have told Ems too straight away

child snatcher,perhaps,though your lucky he stuck out like a sore thumb and wasnt discrete.

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Relieved to learn Robbie and his missus had the foresight to scarper outta there ... one can never be too careful in those situations!

Not something I do consciously, but I always reverse into a space to make getting away quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Not something I do consciously, but I always reverse into a space to make getting away quicker.
    Nice to hear that Simon, when I was learning to drive at 17 years old my instructor taught me never drive in to a parking space because you should never reverse into pedestrians or traffic and even until today I've always followed that rule wherever possible!

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Nice to hear that Simon, when I was learning to drive at 17 years old my instructor taught me never drive in to a parking space because you should never reverse into pedestrians or traffic and even until today I've always followed that rule wherever possible!

Same for me.

If you check all your mirrors adequately,then that will be avoided..
    I have found!

Trusted Member
    Very dodgy in a van, tractor or truck Fred...with very limited visibility. I just try to always reduce the odds by driving out 'forwards' whenever possible.

How scary , I would have moved out of there as quick as my legs could carry me.

It certainly pays dividends to take notice of what's going on around you, well done Robbie!

Sounds to me that you handled a dodgy situation very well. Well done

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    If you check all your mirrors adequately,then that will be avoided..
    I have found!
    I too, and even on some vehicles you have the sound, WARNING VEHICLE REVERSING,but you still get the silly people walking behind you,

Well done in getting the hell out fella Not sure what I'd have done, unfortunately I'm a bit hot headed and I'd have probably walked right up to him (Yes very unwise).

So you're considering retiring out there? Well, perhaps as you say it should make you reconsider, but just because your wife comes from there doesn't mean you should retire to that place. Maybe somewhere else but within not too distant travelling? I'm not convinced of all this "retire to Philippines just because my wife came from there" stuff............I'm not saying it's wrong or right, just I remain to be convinced it's a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Iani View Post
    Well done in getting the hell out fella Not sure what I'd have done, unfortunately I'm a bit hot headed and I'd have probably walked right up to him (Yes very unwise).

So you're considering retiring out there? Well, perhaps as you say it should make you reconsider, but just because your wife comes from there doesn't mean you should retire to that place. Maybe somewhere else but within not too distant travelling? I'm not convinced of all this "retire to Philippines just because my wife came from there" stuff............I'm not saying it's wrong or right, just I remain to be convinced it's a good idea.
    Your right. Retiring to the Philippines solely because that's where the wife/partner came from isn't a good idea at all.
    Neither is retiring to the Philippines solely for financial reasons, nor imagining sun-filled days lazing about on a white powder-sand beach quaffing unlimited ice cold beer.

But it never ceases to amaze me just how many folks do just that. Some actually have no steady income stream.
    Paradise is dangerous fantasy. IMHO

Trusted Member
    Well, I suppose I could always stay here waiting to be carted off to the council old folks home.

We're all different.

Neither is retiring to the Philippines solely for financial reasons, nor imagining sun-filled days lazing about on a white powder-sand beach quaffing unlimited ice cold beer.

right you have sold it to me

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Well, I suppose I could always stay here waiting to be carted off to the council old folks home.

We're all different.
    Indeed we are all different thank god,

Like you say sitting here waiting to be carted of to the old folks home and all that you have saved will pay for that,
    Or sit in the chair on the porch with a cool beer, ok you may dribble most out of your mouth , but again thank god we have a choice

UK still the safest place to be

Japan is way way safer than UK

Maybe , but tell that to those who have been robbed, beaten up, raped,in the UK then you may get a different answer,
    All we can do is just try to be careful no matter where you may call home

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    Maybe , but tell that to those who have been robbed, beaten up, raped,in the UK then you may get a different answer,
    All we can do is just try to be careful no matter where you may call home
    I would think differently I suppose if I had witnessed violence or any other crime but I never have, I think the worst thing I've ever seen is a dog getting run over by a driver and he never even stopped!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information