Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owners permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Nochex Donate
Donate Now Target 75, So far 0 (0%)


Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Moderator Arthur Little's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    City of Perth, Scotland
    Posts
    23,209
    Rep Power
    150

    Exclamation Glorious Twelfth

    12 August ... marks the start of the 'Grouse Shooting Season' in Scotland.



  2. #2
    Trusted Member stevewool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    derbyshire
    Posts
    18,856
    Rep Power
    150
    Banned fox hunting , i wonder when this too may be banned ,


  3. #3
    Moderator Arthur Little's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    City of Perth, Scotland
    Posts
    23,209
    Rep Power
    150
    Oh well ... ... I wonder whether there'll be any more replies to this thread than there were when it was first posted exactly a year ago?


  4. #4
    Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nottinghamshire
    Posts
    9,822
    Rep Power
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Oh well ... ... I wonder whether there'll be any more replies to this thread than there were when it was first posted exactly a year ago?
    I noticed on the news it stated that Grouse shooting causes flooding, How, does anyone know?


  5. #5
    Moderator Arthur Little's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    City of Perth, Scotland
    Posts
    23,209
    Rep Power
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    I noticed on the news it stated that Grouse shooting causes flooding How, does anyone know?
    ............................................................................... 's because it's invariably up here.

    Yup, Michael ... yesterday being ANOTHER year down the line, I decided to resurrect this thread, and have come up with a definitive answer to your question.
    Last edited by Arthur Little; 13th August 2017 at 18:00. Reason: "That'll be" - in first paragraph - changed to 'because'.


  6. #6
    Moderator Steve.r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bongabon
    Posts
    6,390
    Rep Power
    150
    Grouse like Pheasants are bred in captivity and released to fatten up before shooting season starts, so not like fox hunting.

    As for the floods......
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up


  7. #7
    Respected Member Slip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    1,376
    Rep Power
    73
    When is pheasant season... my drive to work I pass several fields, and have on several occasions almost ran a few over as they run across the road.


  8. #8
    Respected Member Tawi2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Cotabato.
    Posts
    8,845
    Rep Power
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    Grouse like Pheasants are bred in captivity and released to fatten up before shooting season starts,
    That's 100% not true Grouse in the UK are most certainly not reared in game farms nor bred in captivity for driven shoots. Do a bit of research on the subject and you will find they are all totally wild birds. That's why grouse shooting costs so much. I have shot a few grouse when I was a kid, not the posh way as in driven over the butts by a line of beaters, but with a single barrel shotgun when I used to crawl up to them in the heather. We ate them. I was at the CLA Game Fair last week in Hertfordshire. I saw a weekend of grouse shooting advertised at 12000.

    Pheasant season starts October 1. Pheasants are reared on game farms. They originated in China. If anyone thinks pheasant shooting is objectionable because they look nice, they should see the driven shoots they do in new Zealand where they pop off peacocks.



    Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.


  9. #9
    Respected Member SimonH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Maidenhead
    Posts
    3,608
    Rep Power
    150
    I presume they know it causes flooding in a similar manner that they know that wolves can change the course of a river. Have a look here:-

    https://www.theguardian.com/science/...-change-rivers


    eta. found it, but not nearly as interesting as the wolf story

    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...oor-drain-land


  10. #10
    Respected Member Tawi2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Cotabato.
    Posts
    8,845
    Rep Power
    150
    True fact that the British countryside wouldn't look the same in certain areas without land management aimed at game-shooting and the old fox-hunting. It was all part of our heritage and shaped the moors coverts, etc., which were managed for hunting and shooting.



    Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.


  11. #11
    Moderator Arthur Little's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    City of Perth, Scotland
    Posts
    23,209
    Rep Power
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post

    If anyone thinks pheasant shooting is objectionable ...
    ... then -> rightly so,
    'cos they are bound to know:-
    Ending
    up plucking pheasant
    CAN'T be very f...ing pleasant
    !


    Hopefully nobody finds my last line objectionable.


  12. #12
    Moderator Steve.r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bongabon
    Posts
    6,390
    Rep Power
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    That's 100% not true
    If their habitats were not managed then they would be in steep decline. Management of their land is basically artificially raising them
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up


  13. #13
    Respected Member Tawi2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Cotabato.
    Posts
    8,845
    Rep Power
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    If their habitats were not managed then they would be in steep decline. Management of their land is basically artificially raising them
    You said they were bred in captivity, now you're changing the goal-posts a little. Management of land isn't artificially raising them at all "basically" or otherwise. You originally said they are raised in captivity like pheasants. That's not true either. I have been shooting all my life, I know quite a bit about game management. Management of land merely helps their survival rate, burning heather, predator control etc, it's not artificially raising them at all. That's a totally different concept. There's management of grizzly-bear hunting in Alaska with quota systems, are they artificially raised?

    Even when you said pheasants are raised to fatten up? Really? They are not, they are raised as poults to give them a head start before release, not to "Fatten up".



    Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.


  14. #14
    Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nottinghamshire
    Posts
    9,822
    Rep Power
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    I presume they know it causes flooding in a similar manner that they know that wolves can change the course of a river. Have a look here:-

    https://www.theguardian.com/science/...-change-rivers


    eta. found it, but not nearly as interesting as the wolf story

    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...oor-drain-land
    Interesting read, question answered.


  15. #15
    Moderator Steve.r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bongabon
    Posts
    6,390
    Rep Power
    150
    I can change goalposts if I like.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up


  16. -

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 1st July 2015, 13:21
  2. Yay ... Glorious Freedom!
    By Arthur Little in forum Your Blog
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 4th May 2012, 12:55
  3. Glorious Sun!
    By Jay&Zobel in forum Loose Talk, Chat and Off Topic
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 1st May 2009, 17:48

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Filipino Forum : Philippine Forum