Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by johncar54 View Post
    Up date

Last week we arrived at Malaga airport to take a flight to London. Passport control checked my wife’s Philippines passport and her Resdencia Card. They then checked my Passport (Irish one, I also have British nationality) and my out-of-date Residencia Card (expired 2007).

The rules mean one must prove the non EU national is the spouse of an EU national.

That is not all that straightforward.

In my case the expired Residencia bore my NIE (Spanish ID number) finger print and photo. My wife’s resdencia showed she was the wife of John xxx, with NIE xxxxx. Producing almost any other document cannot strictly prove the relationship. Example: A marriage cert only shows one person, Sheila Brown, is married to a John Smith, but it does not prove that either person is in fact that particular individual, only that they have the same name as that person.

At the board desk the EasyJet staff member checked the documents previously produced, plus the marriage certificate. I also produced a copy of the info on the web page I mentioned in post No. 23. The staff member said she was satisfied but that she had to call another person. That person never came to the desk, however, after waiting around 20 minutes, the person spoken to on the phone presumably approved our eligibly and we were allowed to board.

My wife had to complete a UK landing card.

At Gatwick the immigration checked our passports and my wife’s Residencia. My wife’s passport was stamped permitting a 6 month stay. It took a minute or two and was very friendly.

Returning to Spain.

At Gatwick the only time we produced our passports was at the boarding desk. We were asked if my wife had a visa, but when we showed her Residencia we were immediately allowed to board.

Arriving in Malaga both mine and my wife’s passports were inspected and photocopied, hers was stamped.

Thanks to all who posted their thoughts
    John,
    You took a brave step despite the rules being clear but with so much negativity on the experience of others.

Hats off to you

Thanks for posting details of your experience.
    I hope this will others in similar circumstances.

Well done John, thanks one again for the invaluable feedback.

Trusted Member
    Most helpful and informative.

Well done, and thanks for posting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information