Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

View Poll Results: Your honest opinion on the Philippines

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll

3 17.65%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

4 23.53%

1 5.88%

5 29.41%

3 17.65%

1 5.88%

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry T View Post
    maybe the best way is to do 6 months here and 6 months their ..
    Yup or maybe three on, three off, three on......

Trusted Member
    I'm making several trips a year at the moment. Not a problem with that. Perfectly happy to live anywhere in the Phils and in any kind of accommodation. It's the long flights that I now dread... plus my grass growing tall while I'm away, risk of break-ins, etc, makes it harder to relax and enjoy the trips 100%.

Yup,i agree entirely with your sentiments,i lived there once,decided it wasnt for me,nowadays its fine for holidays,but the world is a huge colourfull place,getbout and explore it

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

it depends on your expectations. I have been there for over a year full time and just returned to the uk. FOr me, I have everything i need where we live. Never any problems or hassles. If you cannot adapt, don't live there.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    it depends on your expectations. I have been there for over a year full time and just returned to the uk. FOr me, I have everything i need where we live. Never any problems or hassles. If you cannot adapt, don't live there.
    Presume here for a holiday Steve?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry T View Post
    I have recently returned from spending 3 months in Phills, basically to find out if i could live there, i have come to the same conclusion as Michael, i love it as a Tourist, but to live their, i very much doubt it, maybe the best way is to do 6 months here and 6 months their ..
    Same as me, great for holidays but not for living....

Quote Originally Posted by Longweekend View Post
    Same as me, great for holidays but not for living....
    Just shows how diverse we are as members in this forum..
    Not seen the UK in almost 10 years...Might go back to see Mum next year for a month and then I`ll be happy to be gone for another 10..

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Presume here for a holiday Steve?
    I live there between work Simon. First time back in the Uk for 4 years
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Yes the world is such a small place,
    Like many I have only been on holiday there too and only a month at a time,
    Who knows what it will be like after 1 year of living out there, but we all have to give it a go,
    I too did not like Manila ,to busy and too crowded, but get outside and it turns into something more pleasing,.
    Some places are dirty to my standards so you do have to take care, but that could be ananywhere you go nowadays

Trusted Member
    The longest I've lived there continuously is three years. I didn't want to come back, but events beyond my control (wife buggering off) meant that I had to.

Education of my children has always been a major concern too. They deserve at least what I was fortunate enough to have been given.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Education of my children has always been a major concern too. They deserve at least what I was fortunate enough to have been given.

That in a nutshell is my first concern

Trusted Member
    I think it's fine to take them around the world until say, 5 or 6 years old, but then careful thought needs to be given to the quality of their education. So much is being absorbed at that stage in their lives.

Healthcare is a concern too. I think Peter said that we're not entitled to NHS healthcare if we leave the country for more than three months. I may be wrong though or missed something out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ako Si Jamie View Post
    Healthcare is a concern too. I think Peter said that we're not entitled to NHS healthcare if we leave the country for more than three months. I may be wrong though or missed something out.
    I think you may be right on that , but what happens if you still have a residence here and if all else fails just do what johnny foreigner does , go to the local hospital or council and say , me no understand

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Two years Jamie

Hmm, I'm sure I read that somewhere too; even so ... ... it seems a bit harsh!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Two years Jamie
    Is that no healthcare if two years abroad? - or do you have to wait two years to be allowed treatment again?

Trusted Member
    So naturally... in such a situation one just keeps one's big gob shut and goes in to see the doc or to the hospital in the normal way.

Is that no healthcare if two years abroad? - or do you have to wait two years to be allowed treatment again?
    The first Week we came to the UK from the Philippines We registered with the local Surgery also with Charles Clifford Dental Hospital Sheffield, and I told the reception at the Surgery that I had been living in the Philippines and they told me I was ok to register because I had been living abroad for less than two years, Maritess only had to show her passport and she was ok also

I have not even hit 50 yet and i have been over there 7 times all in. The longest i was there for was 2 months and the shortest was 2 weeks. Every time i have had to return to the UK i have wanted to stay there for longer but i have household bills to pay here so need to get back and earn more money. The wife and I got back last October and booked for this years jaunt in January. We can not get enough of it over there and plan to live out there in the future.

6 months over here and over there sounds great but i like the thought of 10 there and 2 in the UK or close to those figures. We are off over in August this year and can not wait. 90 minutes outside of Cebu City is perfect for us and i can not think of a better place i want to relax every year.

My family have been in Palawan north of the main city Puerto Princesa since 2012 with my visiting between contracts sometimes up to three months at a time.

It has been great with the kiddos very young and in the private Montessori kindergarten and yr 1 of elementary at Hope Christian (private and favoured by ex pats and better off locals) BUT now I am back here looking to secure a perm role so I can bring them back here for a broader eductation and a bigger world view.

Education is probably ok for the first year or two in elementary but a few of my mates here who have olderkids have complained and some have moved away back to Europe or other locations.

So we are selling up our main property and the small B&B we have onsite . having our farms and rubber plantation managed by a nephew and a brother of my wife (well monitored by her lol) and coming here for the next 10 to 12 years before retiring baack there.

I find living there (we have had the property since 2006 when we were based in HK) easy and very relaxing as long as you let your wife doing anything connected to officlaldom as I am sure others have said. Do not be a whinger, do not complain about all things Filipino, do find a few mates, take up scuba, or sailing or another hobby and just chill (whilst keeping the kiddos happy).

Get involved in your baranagy to an extent as having the Captain onside is useful, sponsor the village basketball tourny and the local beauty contests etc, and you are not likely to suffer any local hassles with pilfering or robbery etc.

My wife set up a mothers group at the kindergarten as she noticed it was always the maids or even minders dropping the kids, She is now well ensconced with the Mayors wife and the Chief of Police wife as there kiddos or grtamdkids go there.

Keep you your politics to yourselves and stay neutral as things change lol.... BE NICE NEIGHBOURS.... support the local orphanage etc. Non of these things cost much and you are almost guaranteed to be helped and not ripped off by local tradesmen, mechanics etc.

Health care is good but bloody expensive and finding great insurance is really difficult to keep emergency funds available ideally overseas but accessiible but if you bank locally be careful to use a national bank as rural banks can and do fail with no return of your savings. Even the majors have much lower indemnified limits so check it out.

Of course Dengue is around especially out of the municipality and you need to take preacautions especially if you have any form of auto immune condition as it can become deadly in that event ( my wife was severly ill last year and needed three platelet transfusiions and two weeks in the Adventis to even begin recovery (oh and over 300,000 pesos).

Overall I really like being in Palawan and prefer it to other regions we have visited and my wifes home area in Pangisinan but things also cost a little more and our electirc supply is not brilliant.

I am already looking forward to retiring back so that should say it all.
    Live your life for a reason and don't worry be happy

if you don't know where you are going then any road will do!!

Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by scott&ligaya View Post
    My family have been in Palawan north of the main city Puerto Princesa since 2012 with my visiting between contracts sometimes up to three months at a time.

It has been great with the kiddos very young and in the private Montessori kindergarten and yr 1 of elementary at Hope Christian (private and favoured by ex pats and better off locals) BUT now I am back here looking to secure a perm role so I can bring them back here for a broader eductation and a bigger world view.

Education is probably ok for the first year or two in elementary but a few of my mates here who have olderkids have complained and some have moved away back to Europe or other locations.

So we are selling up our main property and the small B&B we have onsite . having our farms and rubber plantation managed by a nephew and a brother of my wife (well monitored by her lol) and coming here for the next 10 to 12 years before retiring baack there.

I find living there (we have had the property since 2006 when we were based in HK) easy and very relaxing as long as you let your wife doing anything connected to officlaldom as I am sure others have said. Do not be a whinger, do not complain about all things Filipino, do find a few mates, take up scuba, or sailing or another hobby and just chill (whilst keeping the kiddos happy).

Get involved in your baranagy to an extent as having the Captain onside is useful, sponsor the village basketball tourny and the local beauty contests etc, and you are not likely to suffer any local hassles with pilfering or robbery etc.

My wife set up a mothers group at the kindergarten as she noticed it was always the maids or even minders dropping the kids, She is now well ensconced with the Mayors wife and the Chief of Police wife as there kiddos or grtamdkids go there.

Keep you your politics to yourselves and stay neutral as things change lol.... BE NICE NEIGHBOURS.... support the local orphanage etc. Non of these things cost much and you are almost guaranteed to be helped and not ripped off by local tradesmen, mechanics etc.

Health care is good but bloody expensive and finding great insurance is really difficult to keep emergency funds available ideally overseas but accessiible but if you bank locally be careful to use a national bank as rural banks can and do fail with no return of your savings. Even the majors have much lower indemnified limits so check it out.

Of course Dengue is around especially out of the municipality and you need to take preacautions especially if you have any form of auto immune condition as it can become deadly in that event ( my wife was severly ill last year and needed three platelet transfusiions and two weeks in the Adventis to even begin recovery (oh and over 300,000 pesos).

Overall I really like being in Palawan and prefer it to other regions we have visited and my wifes home area in Pangisinan but things also cost a little more and our electirc supply is not brilliant.

I am already looking forward to retiring back so that should say it all.
    A very nice read Scott, thank you

thanks for the rep points people
    Live your life for a reason and don't worry be happy

if you don't know where you are going then any road will do!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    I have not even hit 50 yet and i have been over there 7 times all in. The longest i was there for was 2 months and the shortest was 2 weeks. Every time i have had to return to the UK i have wanted to stay there for longer but i have household bills to pay here so need to get back and earn more money. The wife and I got back last October and booked for this years jaunt in January. We can not get enough of it over there and plan to live out there in the future.

6 months over here and over there sounds great but i like the thought of 10 there and 2 in the UK or close to those figures. We are off over in August this year and can not wait. 90 minutes outside of Cebu City is perfect for us and i can not think of a better place i want to relax every year.
    Nothing is impossible...If thats what you want to do then just divise a long term plan..
    We live here 100% happily...Nothing is impossible...Do what you have to to get what you want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information