Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Implications If Wife Becomes a British Citizen???

Hi fellas,

My wife is just about to apply for British Citizenship.

Assuming the application is successful and she becomes a British citizen, what implications does that have on her Filipino citizenship?

1) Regarding Philippine Immigration, will she then have to have visas / immigration time limits etc when travelling back to the Philippines?

2) As her husband, will I no longer be able to have Balikbayan stamp?

3) Also, her being a British citizen, will this affect me getting balikbayan stamp if living in Philippines long-term?

4) In other words, will becoming a British citizen cancel out her Filipino citizenship, or will she become dual citizen of both UK / Phils?

Many thanks

She can get her Filipino citizenship back, then she will be a dual citizen,

I'm not sure but I think she can do that at the Philippine Embassy in London

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated!

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    Hi,

My Pinnay wife has a Dutch passport, and whenever we travel through Manila or Clarke airports we always get a Balikbayan stamp.........................could it be that my wife looks like a Filipino !! We have never been asked any questions, and anyhow my wife would answer the in Tagalog, so the BI officials would assume correctly she was born in the Philippines!!!

I have suggested that my wife takes out dual citizenship because when we live there on a more permanent basis it would save a lot of problems renewing visitor visa's. Incidentally, when we bought our sub division lots, the question of our nationalities was never mentioned. We used a reputed solicitor and have all the relevant stamped official deeds. The lots were bought in joint names.

The are other reasons for joint nationality. I have read that should we use a shipping container to send our household furniture, electrical appliances ,etc. if my wife has Filipino nationality we would not have to pay any duty on the goods. Apparently, duty is payable on electrical goods etc. for non Filipinos.
    I have all the paperwork on this import matter if anyone needs it.

Another reason for dual nationality, is we are looking to possibly purchase a franchise business (for something to do- not profit orientated) so as you can only operate a business with a Filipino partner (or corporation) we would need to put it in my wifes name.

If anyone can expand on the subject of joint nationality, please respond.

Thanks,

Mike

Thread Information