Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: FLR(M) vs ILR

Respected Member

FLR(M) vs ILR

Hello everyone,
    Just a quick query. My friend and I are both on spouse visa and is due to re- apply again. However, my friend just told me that she has been advised by someone( doesn't want to tell me who) that she should apply for ILR instead as she is entitled to do so. This person apparently told her that anyone living here in Uk for more than 6 yrs can now apply for ILR straight which seems so confusing. She came here in UK in 2008 under student visa same as I. Currently holding a spouse visa for 2 1/2 yrs now. Applied later part of July 2012. I believe if i remember it right, that anyone applied for spouse visa from that period would only be given 2 1/2 yrs then would need to apply again for further FLR (M) for another 2 1/2 yrs again before we could apply for ILR. Irregardless of how long have you already been living here, before your previous FLR(M) expires you still need to apply for another 2 1/2 FLR(M) then you could apply for ILR. I told her to seek some advise regarding this matter and so will I. I even tried to encourage her to register here as this helped me a lot throughout my journey. But she is adamant to apply straight for ILR and she is convincing me to do the same. I am hesitant to follow. And so I'm seeking some helpful advise to enlighten me in this matter. I am in a predicament here. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you x

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    When did she get her spouse visa?
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Respected Member
    @Rayna: She got her visa I think early March 2013.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    If that's the case then I believe she has to apply for another FLR(M). She didn't qualify in the old rules. What I'm not sure though is about her years of stay here in the UK from 2008 to 2013 as a student, whether it'll have any bearing on her visa applications. Maybe others will be more knowledgable about her case.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

way I understood it was that time spent in the UK on a student visa does not count towards ILR but can be counted to meet the requirement for naturalisation.

Thread Information