Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Beautiful stamps Alan, so sad that so much marine life has disappeared since the issue of these stamps!

Trusted Member
    Thank you for your interest and support, Michael .

You don’t have to use or collect stamps to appreciate the wide range of topics and events related to the Philippines in over 4,500 varieties issued since 1854

Ferdinand Marcos ( 1917 - 1989 ) - lawyer and politician - was head of state for two decades until 1986, during which time he established an authoritarian regime criticised for corruption and suppression of democratic processes, despite making progress in agriculture, industry and education in his first term. He and his wife Imelda are certainly among the better known Filipinos outside the country.

Senator Marcos was inaugurated as the 10th President of the Philippines on December 30, 1965 at the Quirino Grandstand, Luneta, Manila. The oath of office was administered by Chief Justice Cesar Bengzon.

Commemorative stamps were issued the following June :-

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    Thank you for your interest and support, Michael .

You don’t have to use or collect stamps to appreciate the wide range of topics and events related to the Philippines in over 4,500 varieties issued since 1854

Ferdinand Marcos ( 1917 - 1989 ) - lawyer and politician - was head of state for two decades until 1986, during which time he established an authoritarian regime criticised for corruption and suppression of democratic processes, despite making progress in agriculture, industry and education in his first term. He and his wife Imelda are certainly among the better known Filipinos outside the country.

Senator Marcos was inaugurated as the 10th President of the Philippines on December 30, 1965 at the Quirino Grandstand, Luneta, Manila. The oath of office was administered by Chief Justice Cesar Bengzon.

Commemorative stamps were issued the following June :-

Once again, Alan ... we'd like to express our collective gratitude to you for taking the time to share your knowledge of a truly interesting and informative topic!

Tbh, though ... I often feel [too] many people in the Philippines have a somewhat misguided tendency to look back rather unfairly on the Marcos regime ... when, in fact, that the nation's economy was probably at its most progressive during his era.

What an interesting journey is made via good collection of stamps.

I bought over to the Philippines all my collection of stamps which I began in the 1950's

I've tried many times to catalogue and organise them properly.
    I hope one of these days to devote time for that.

I don't have as many 'specials' as you Alan but still find a fascination in stamps.

Thanks for the time you've taken to share your Philippine collection.

Trusted Member
    Thank you Arthur, and Peter for your kind comments . Like you, Peter, I’ve been interested in stamps ( among other hobbies ) for many years.

We’re not alone ! Interest in British stamps is active both in the UK and abroad ; the market for Philippines stamps - especially from the Spanish and US eras - is buoyant.

I’m happy to share my interests on the Forum, not only in stamps but also coins, banknotes, and old postcard views - it’s good to have them stored / backed up online in this way.

Members may have noted on many illustrations " Unang araw ng labas " - " first day of issue " , or FDCs / First Day Covers. It’s just possible I may have a unique collection of health - related FDCs !

Hopefully these links will not be seen as advertising ( I don’t benefit financially ) :-

Stanley Gibbons ( www.stanleygibbons.com ) catalogues are recognised worldwide as comprehensive lists, and a guide to values. The Philippines are in " Part 21 ; South East Asia " and is my main source of information.

There’s even an International Philippine Philatelic Society ( IPPS ) ( www.theipps.info ) which has regular auctions for more affluent collectors than me.

Philpost ( https://www.phlpost.gov.ph/ ) is a good source of information on the history of the Philippines postal system, recent stamp releases, and links.

eBay ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Philippine....html?_jsoff=1 ) has many sellers offering stamps for auction or buying outright.

Although I'm not a stamp collector myself, ... I do, however, try to make a regular practice of collecting a full set of untarnished British coins for the year in which they're minted - then replacing each of those in turn the following year - as and when I happen to be given one of them in my change.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Although I'm not a stamp collector myself, ... I do, however, try to make a regular practice of collecting a full set of untarnished British coins for the year in which they're minted - then replacing each of those in turn the following year - as and when I happen to be given one of them in my change.
    I used to collect coins too Arthur. Only British ones.
    Sold almost the whole lot to a dealer in Market Harborough before leaving for the Philipppines except for a few with sentimental value.

Trusted Member
    More stamps for those who may be interested in the range of topics relating to life in the Philippines since 1854 :-

2004 marked the 150th anniversary of first Philippine stamps. These limited edition " miniature sheets " , containing two blocks of four stamps ( originals being 5 Cuartos, 10 Cuartos, 1 Real, and 2 Reales; 20 Cuartos = 1 Real; 8 Reales = 1 Peso Plata Fuerte ) featuring Queen Isabella II of Spain, were on sale for P100 :-

This 1898 sheet of " 1 milesima de peso " ( 1000 milesimas = 1 peso ) , showing the teenage King Alfonso XIII, was the last to be issued from Spain ( Madrid ) before Filipino Revolutionary Government :-

This was a souvenir of a Rizal Centennial International Philatelic Exhibition in 1961 - marking Jose Rizal’s birth in 1861 ( he only lived to 35 years before being executed by firing squad in 1896, immortalizing him as a martyr ) :-

Trusted Member
    Philippine marine aquarium fish were illustrated in March 1996 at an International Philatelic Exhibition in Indonesia :-

1. clown triggerfish, majestic angelfish, regal angelfish, and two-banded anemonefish ...

2. lionfish ...

1997 marked the first International Year of the Coral Reef, to raise awareness of the value of coral reefs and the challenges they face. It was an effort to promote and pursue the goals of the International Coral Reef Initiative, a partnership of nations and organizations to protect and sustainably use fragile coral reef resources world-wide. This " miniature sheet " featured a P 16 stamp, with an underwater scene :-

Coral reefs comprise :-

home and nursery for almost a million fish and other species, many that we rely on for food; some of the earth's most diverse living ecosystems; biomedical resources that we've only just begun to explore; and important protection for coastal communities from storms, wave damage and erosion.

Currently Chinese fishermen appear to be deliberately destroying reefs near a group of Philippine-controlled atolls in the Spratly Islands

( see
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35106631 ).

Various flora and fauna of the Philippines were shown in stamps featuring in 2001 ( 1 February ) Hong Kong International Stamp Exhibition of February 2001, including :-

Tamaraw ( Mindoro dwarf buffalo ), Agila ( eagle ), Tarsier, Talisman Cove ( flower ), and Pawikan ( turtle ) ...

Very enjoyable Alan, thank you!

Trusted Member
    This " First Day Cover " marks the proclamation of independence by the Philippines on 4 July 1946. The stamps were actually the last to be produced by the U.S. Bureau of Engraving and Printing - thereafter the Philippine Bureau of Printing.

The " Third Republic " of the Philippines was inaugurated when the United States recognized Philippine Independence. It was preceded by the " Second Republic ", under Japanese Occupation, the Commonwealth, and Aguinaldo’s " First Republic ".

Manuel Roxas retook his oath as President, eliminating the pledge of allegiance to the U.S. previously required. The Commonwealth Congress became the First Congress of the Republic.

In 1962 President Macapagal moved the date of independence to June 12 - as proclaimed by Aguinaldo in 1898. July 4 had come to be viewed as the date of restoration of independence. June 12 had been " Flag Day " until 1962.

Philippine Republic Day on July 4 was a national holiday until 1984. June 12 is now the national holiday to celebrate Independence Day.

http://www.gov.ph/featured/third-republic/

Third Republic feature is excellent Alan, I found it really interesting and educational. One is never to old to learn, Thank you

Thank you too Alan

Trusted Member
    These stamps were issued in November 2001 to commemorate " 150th Anniversary of Philippines-Switzerland Diplomatic Relations ".

Close economic relations between the two countries date from 1851. Trading is modest, Switzerland mainly exporting pharmaceutical products, machinery and watches ; while importing other machinery and agricultural products. Switzerland is allegedly cooperating closely with the Philippines on the return of illicit assets. Over 10,000 Filipinos live in Switzerland, and over 3000 Swiss live in the Philippines.

The P15 " miniature sheet " shows the Mayon Volcano ( 2,462 m ; Bicol " daragan magayon " means “ beautiful lady " ... but eruptions over the years have killed over 2000 people ) and the Matterhorn ( 4,478 m ; overlooking Swiss town of Zermatt ; over 500 deaths since first ascent 1865 ).

The P5 stamp shows the bronze William Tell Monument ( dating from 1895 ) in Altdorf, Switzerland ; national hero who was allegedly compelled to shoot an apple off his own son’s head and helped secure Swiss independence.

The P15 shows the bronze Rizal Monument ( contract awarded to Swiss sculptor Richard Kissling ; unveiled 1913 ); in Rizal Park, Manila. There is an exact replica in Madrid.

In June 1961 these stamps were issued to commemorate the birth centenary of Dr Jose Rizal, posted from his birthplace of Calamba. His execution by Spanish firing squad at the age of 35 immortalised him as a martyr and national hero.

This is Rizal Park in the 1970s ( when I first visited the Philippines ):-

Thanks again Alan, hope 2016 is all you hoped for

Trusted Member
    Thank you for your support, Simon .

1976 marked the 30th anniversary of continuous operations by Philippine Airlines. PAL services had been interrupted during World War II. ( In 1935 the Philippine Congress had approved the franchise of " Philippine Aerial Taxi Company ", and the first flight had taken place by " Philippine Air Lines " between Manila and Baguio in 1941 ). By 1972 President Marcos had implemented a " one airline policy " ( PAL ) as part of his declaration of Martial Law.

These stamps show Douglas DC-3 and DC-10 :-

While on the theme of airmail, this block of stamps featuring the " Baguio Zigzag road " - one of the first pictorial stamps in the country ( 1932 ) - was overprinted the following year by the Philippine Bureau of Printing, as dedicated airmail stamps were not issued until 1947.

Trusted Member
    Four eras of Philippines history ...

1. Spanish rule - King Alfonso XII ( House of Bourbon ; son of Queen Isabella ) ; stamps issued 1889 for printed matter ( " Impresos " ; 5 milesimas de peso ) :-

2. Revolutionary Government - under first President Emilio Aguinaldo ; issued 1888-89 ( inscribed for different classes of mail - telegraph and printed matter here - but as no instructions were given for their usage they were employed indiscriminately ! ) :-

3. 15th President Benigno Aquino III June 30 2010 " oath taking " prior to inauguration :-

4. 16th President ( 2016 ) ... To be decided !

The Philippine presidential and vice presidential election of 2016 is scheduled for Monday,.May 9, 2016 ( incumbent President Benigno Aquino cannot seek re-election ).

Four eras of Philippines history ...

1. Spanish rule - King Alfonso XII ( House of Bourbon ; son of Queen Isabella ) ; stamps issued 1889 for printed matter ( " Impresos " ; 5 milesimas de peso ) :-

2. Revolutionary Government - under first President Emilio Aguinaldo ; issued 1888-89 ( inscribed for different classes of mail - telegraph and printed matter here - but as no instructions were given for their usage they were employed indiscriminately ! ) :-

3. 15th President Benigno Aquino III June 30 2010 " oath taking " prior to inauguration :-

Once again, Alan ... a most interesting & informative compilation!

4. 16th President ( 2016 ) ... To be decided !
    ... Duterte, hopefully!

The Philippine presidential and vice presidential election of 2016 is scheduled for Monday,.May 9, 2016 ( incumbent President Benigno Aquino cannot seek re-election ).
    ................................... 's true ... thankfully!

Trusted Member
    Thank you Arthur .

Trusted Member
    Endangered and/or threatened marine species were featured in this set of stamps issued in October 2013. The designs were taken from winning entries of a Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources painting competition.

The first stamp shows a Green Sea Turtle, one of the five marine turtles found in the Philippines ( with a Giant Manta Ray and silhouettes of Scalloped Hammerhead sharks ).

The second stamp is inspired by the painting of a Dwarf Pygmy Goby ( tabios ) - the smallest fish in the world by mass and endemic in the Philippines.

The third stamp shows the largest fish in the world known as the Whale Shark ( butanding ). It is no threat to humans, and is an asset in ecotourism such as that at Donsol, Sorsogon.

The Coconut Crab is also featured on the " First Day Cover " - a popular delicacy in Batanes, despite " prohibition of buying, using, gathering, possessing and/or transporting this species. " It is actually a very large terrestrial hermit crab, unable to swim, which does eat coconuts as well as fruits, nuts and seeds.

This again shows the Dwarf Pygmy Goby ( tabios ) :-

Trusted Member
    Construction of the " Old Legislative / Legislature / Congress Building / Palace ", in Ermita, was started a hundred years ago. From 1926-1972, also 1987-1997, it was home to various legislative bodies of the Philippine government.

This " first day cover " marks the inauguration of the " Legislative Palace " with the first ever commemorative stamps issued in the Philippines :-

In 1935, the Commonwealth of the Philippines was proclaimed, and the inauguration ceremonies for President Manuel Quezon were held outside the building that year :-

This " first day cover " shows stamps illustrating " The Temples of Human Progress ", to commemorate the establishment of the Commonwealth :-

In World War II, Japanese forces bombed and virtually destroyed the building, seen here in August 1944 :-

Reconstruction began in 1949, and it became known as the Congress Building. It is seen here in the 1970s :-

Twenty years ago it was handed over to the National Museum of the Philippines and it presently houses the National Art Gallery. It had originally been intended as the National Library - according to Burnham’s Plan of Manila.

Trusted Member
    In April 1945, to herald the liberation of the Philippines, stamps were put on sale at various post offices throughout the archipelago, as each were re-opened - so there are several " first day of issue " covers, such as Tacloban ( January ), April ( Manila, as shown ), June ( Iloilo ), July ( Cebu ), and August ( Bacolod ).

• The Manila Central Post Office ( built 1926 ) had been severely damaged, but re-opened in April 1945 ( and was rebuilt next year ). The pre-war Commonwealth stamps were overprinted with " VICTORY " and " COMMONWEALTH " :-

This was Manila Post Office just before World War II :-

…. and around the early 1970s :-

( “ Araw ng Kagitingan “ ( Day of Valour ), held on April 9 each year, is a national public holiday in the Philippines, commemorating the fall of the Bataan Peninsula during World War II after months of fighting between the Philippine and American armies against the invading Japanese ).

Thank you Alan, always welcome viewing your stamp threads

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Thank you Alan, always welcome viewing your stamp threads
    Thank you in turn, Michael . I do regularly update this and related threads ( see these links :- Vintage Manila, Vintage Cordillera, and Coins and Banknotes ), as the number of viewings shows that members share my interest .

You may also note occasional ( deliberate ) " repeat " pictures - although some, like the " Victory first day cover " in the last post, #53, has never been shown here ( I've only just received it, $8.50 at auction ).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information