Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trusted Member

Philippines stamps over 160 years

A few Forum members and guests may find this thread of interest, no matter what you think of living in the Philippines with the current postal system ! Any mistakes are my responsibility.

• The first post office was established in Manila in 1767 and the Philippines was the first in Asia to issue adhesive postage stamps, in 1854. This was not long after the UK " Penny Black " of 1840, designed by Rowland Hill, who had the brilliant idea of introducing stamps which could be stuck on the front of a letter. This changed the old system, whereby postal charges were paid by the recipient, and came to be adopted round the world.

• These stamps commemorate this year’s 175th anniversary of the Penny Black :-

• Last year marked the 160th anniversary of the first Philippine stamps, by which time over 4,500 different regular and commemorative stamps had been issued :-

• Commemorative stamps were also issued in 1954 to mark the centenary of Philippines stamps ( printed by De La Rue, London ) :-

Hopefully this thread will not be closed, as I intend to update it to the present day, for those who are interested. Thank you for viewing !

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Great post Doc!

I used to collect stamps as a kid, but I wasn't really a passionate collector. I gave it all away in the end.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Interesting. I used to collect stamps too as a kid but that soon took a back seat to Panini stickers.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Very nice Alan, I also used to collect stamps as a child, never knew what became of them, can't remember how I obtained them but I do remember that I had two stamp albums full also enjoyed looking at them regularly!

Can't say I've ever collected stamps ... - except the unfranked ones I'd managed to *steam off the envelopes of letters I'd received - for *possible future use.

's just 'a little' of mine, you understand!

Trusted Member
    Thank you Rayna, Jamie, Michael and Arthur !

Stamps are just one of my many interests, and I hope that those who do find time to follow this thread will find a different perspective on the Philippines through looking at a selection of the huge number of stamps issued over the past 160 years, especially since becoming a Republic in 1946 .

It’s hard to put a price on these items – I would never sell them anyway – but they don’t compare to British / Commonwealth / ex-Colonial stamps which may be unbelievably expensive , depending on condition and rarity. A " Mauritius 1847 2d blue " recently sold for over £ 1 million, a new record price for a stamp sold in the UK :-

Trusted Member
    • The first adhesive stamps used in the Philippines were engraved and printed in Manila, showing Queen Isabella II of Spain.

This type from 1859 was copied from those issued in Spain for other colonies ( Correos = Post ; Franco = value … ; 20 Cuartos = 1 Real ) :-

• " Filipinas " did not appear on stamps until 1872. The UK is the only country in the world not to have its name on stamps - as they were originally only for internal use.

• At first each country wishing to send and receive international mail had to prepare a separate postal treaty with other nations. The UPU ( Universal Postal Union ) was formed in 1874 to ensure a flat rate for postage anywhere in the world. Stamps of member nations were acceptable for the entire international route. Each country retained the money it collected for international postage. Spain joined UPU in 1875 ; the Philippines 2 years later, although it didn’t join as a sovereign entity until 1922 :-

• In 1890 stamps were issued bearing the head of King Alfonso XIII ( born 1886 ) ( 100 Centimos / Centavos = 1 Peso ) :-

• Official postal cards ( " Tarjeta " = card ) were first issued in 1879 – these are from 1892 - " Sr.D. " ( Senor Don or Mr. Sir ) is the title before the name and address :-

Trusted Member
    • This stamp is from 1898, one of the last to be issued by the Spanish government ( printed in Madrid ), also showing King Alfonso XIII :-

• The Filipino Revolutionary Government, with Emilio Aguinaldo as President, issued its own stamps ( printed in Santa Cruz ) between 1898 – 1899, for postage ( correos ), revenues, telegraphs, or printed matters ( 100 centimos / centavos = 1 peso ). KKK denotes Katipunan ( secret political society plotting for independence ) :-

• The Spanish – American War ended with the Treaty of Paris on 10 December 1898, by which Spain ceded the Philippines to the United States for $ 20 million. Military rule was followed by civil administration from 4 July 1901. Stamps of the United States were overprinted with “ Philippines “ – this 50c showing President Jefferson :-

Trusted Member
    • From 1906 regular stamps printed in the United States also included " Philippine Islands " in their design ( this 2 centavos showing Dr Jose Rizal ) :-

• The first " pictorial " stamps, printed in the United States, were not issued until May 1932, with Mayon Volcano here :-

• KLM ( Dutch Royal Airlines / Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij ) was founded in 1919. Here " air mail " overprinted stamps were used for a letter posted to Zurich ( via Singapore ) in January 1932 :-

• Stamps depicting " The Temples of Human Progress " were issued on November 15 1935, to commemorate establishment of the Commonwealth of the Philippines ) :-

• Senate President Manuel Quezon was elected President, with Sergio Osmena as Vice President. This was the first time a Filipino would hold office in Malacanang Palace ( during World War II Quezon died from TB while exiled in the United States ) :-

Wow ....... what a FABULOUS collection of postage stamps you have Doc Alan!!

My grand dad gave me my first collection of stamps as a child, together with a stamp album which went everywhere with me. I still have it tucked away safely somewhere in the loft with the teddy bear he gave me too. (My family travelled light between numerous services postings around the world and there were very few items I was allowed to keep but these were two of them and very special.)

Hopefully you might even be able to pass some of your collection onto any grandchildren that you might have in the future!

Trusted Member
    Thank you Rosie, I note your suggestion, but not much interest from my relatives and UK friends … until I mention the £ 1 million “ Mauritius Two Pence blue “ !

To continue :-

• During the Japanese occupation of the Philippines in World War II, the Bureau of Posts was re-opened although letters were censored. New stamps were issued ( printed in Tokyo ) showing typical scenes which the Japanese thought would have propaganda value ( these depicting a rice planter, Mounts Mayon … AND Fuji ) :-

• On December 8 1943 the first " semi-postal " stamps were issued. These aim to pay postage and also raise revenue for other purposes such as charity, and are sold at higher value than the prevailing postal rates. In this case it was to raise funds for victims of a typhoon – how much actually reached them is unknown. The stamps were overprinted " BAHA " ( flood ), including a nipa hut and Moro vinta :-

• Eventually General MacArthur DID return, after three years’ Japanese occupation, great suffering, loss of life, and physical destruction in the Philippines. The Manila Central Post Office ( built 1926 ) had been severely damaged, but re-opened in April 1945 ( and was rebuilt next year ). The pre-war Commonwealth stamps were overprinted with " VICTORY " and " COMMONWEALTH " . These stamps had been the first " commemoratives " to be issued ( originally in 1935 ):-

• Japan finally surrendered to the Allies after the U.S. dropped atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki – “ VJ " day is recognised both on 15 August and 2 September 1945 ( when Japan formally surrendered ) :-

Trusted Member
    • The Philippines became an independent republic on 4 July 1946 - these stamps marking the Proclamation of Independence :-

• This pre-paid postcard, overprinted " VICTORY ", was issued at the end of 1946. The stamp was overprinted by the Philippine Bureau of Printing " 50th Anniversary of Martyrdom of Dr. Jose Rizal " :-

• Manuel Roxas was the first president of post-war, independent Philippines. Stamps commemorating taking the oath of office were issued on the first anniversary of independence. This remaining pre-paid Japanese issue postcard was sent from Cebu :-

• These " souvenir " first day covers were posted from Manila :-

Trusted Member
    Over almost a century before independence in 1946 no more than about 620 different stamp types had been issued ; since then there have been over 4000.

• Although the first aerial mail service in the Philippines started in 1919, the first regular airmail stamps were not issued until 1947, by which time the postal service and telecommunications facilities were said to be the most modern in Asia - the stamps showed Presidents Quezon and Roosevelt :-

• Various stamps were soon issued in honour of international conventions and exhibitions held in the new Republic. In 1947 Baguio hosted a conference of the UN Economic Commission in Asia and the Far East, formed in that year to promote recovery of countries devastated by World War II :-

• In the following year Baguio hosted the UN Food and Agricultural Organization ( formed in 1945 ) which met to deal with rice, fishing, and nutritional problems :-

• The fifth anniversary of the Republic was celebrated in 1951. The theme of this stamp is " guarding peaceful labour ", depicting a " soldier and peasants " ( with stamps from 1947 showing the Rizal Monument ) :-

• December 30 1953 marked the inauguration of President Ramon Magsaysay with an overprinted pre-paid postcard bearing a ( 1948 ) Rizal stamp :-

Trusted Member
    • PAL ( Philippine Airlines ) was founded in 1941 by a group of businessmen ; soon to begin service to Cebu ; later to be nationalised by the Philippine Government. After the War it became the first Asian airline to cross the Pacific. This marks inaugural flight from Manila to cities in the Visayas and Mindanao in 1954. The " El Economico " service was cheap ( " P 0.13 / seat mile " ), using DC-3s reconfigured to accommodate 40 ( not the usual 32 ) passengers :-

• QANTAS ( Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Services ) was founded in 1920. The first overseas flight was from Darwin to Singapore in 1935. In 1959 it became the first non-U.S. airline to fly Boeing 707s, with the first flight from Manila to Sydney in 1961 ( stamp portrait of Cayetano Arellano, first Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the Philippines under the American Civil Government ) :-

• Diosdado Macapagal ( followed by Ferdinand Marcos ) took the Presidential Oath in December 1961. These stamps were released on July 4 1962 to commemorate Independence Day ( but were postmarked " 12 June 1962 " to mark the original Independence Day in June 1898 ! ) :-

Trusted Member
    • 1965 marked the Centenary of the Philippines Meteorological Services. It became the Weather Bureau of the Philippine Islands in 1901. Under President Marcos PAGASA ( Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical, and Astronomical Services Administration ) was formed in 1972 ; “ pag-asa “ means hope ! These stamps, issued in May 1965, show meteorological emblems :-

• 1967 marked the 65th Anniversary of the Philippine Bureau of Posts ( which became Philippine Postal Corporation / PHLPost in 1992 ). These stamps show the Manila Central Post Office, which had been rebuilt in 1946 after severe damage in the War, preserving most of its original design ( 1926 ) :-

• Emilio Aguinaldo is recognised as the First President of the Philippines ( 1899 – 1901 ) and was born in what is now called Kawit, Cavite in 1869. He lived to the age of 94 ( dying of a heart attack in 1964 ). These stamps were issued in January 1969 :-

• These stamps were issued in September 1973 to commemorate the 75th Anniversary of Independence ( from the Spanish ), featuring President Marcos, who had imposed Martial Law the previous year :-

Trusted Member
    • 1953 marked the 50th anniversary of the Philippine ( Islands ) Medical Association. Its aims were to improve the nation’s health, keep doctors up to date, influence medical school formation, and develop what became present day Philhealth :-

• 1955 marked the 50th anniversary of the Philippine Red Cross – originally a branch of the American Red Cross. It didn’t become independent until after the country’s Independence – in 1947 President Roxas signed the Philippine Red Cross Charter :-

• 1972 marked the 25th anniversary of the national Red Cross ( the stamps showing President Roxas and his wife in 1947 ) :-

Volunteers attending a patient featured in the 50th anniversary stamps :-

• 1971 marked the centenary of Faculties of Medicine and Surgery, and of Pharmacy, University of Santo Tomas. It is one of the world’s largest Catholic universities, originally in the walled city of Intramuros, now Sampaloc. Over 40,000 students are enrolled there :-

Trusted Member
    TB has been and still is a serious infection – as all members know.

• From the late 1950s to the mid 1970s " semi-postal " anti TB surtax stamps were issued – the additional payment was compulsory and intended for TB treatment. President Quezon ( who had died from TB ) is in these stamps, with the main hospital building in the Quezon Institute, Quezon City :-

• 1959 - Bohol TB Sanatorium :-

• 1960 marked the 50th anniversary of the Philippine Tuberculosis Society ( charity based in Quezon Institute ) :-

• The Institute had been established in 1938 :-

• In 2010 the Society celebrated 100 years with stamps featuring symbols of TB control and treatment :-

• 1965 - Negros Oriental TB Pavilion in Dumaguete :-

• 1969 - bird designs ( woodpecker; trogon ; Mt. Apo lorikeet ; and “ Johnstone’s “ minivet ) :-

• 1970 - TB Society headquarters and Dona Julia de Ortigas ( president 1932 – 1960 ), who gave so much in the fight against TB, including greatly increasing bed capacity in the Quezon Institute :-

• 1972 and 1973 - Philippines fruits ( here :- bananas ; balimbang ; magosteen ; guava ; mango ; duhat ; and susong kalabaw ) :-

• Finally 1975 ( for anti TB stamps ) - Dr Valdez ( President Quezon’s physician ), and Veterans Memorial Medical Center, Quezon City ) :-

Trusted Member
    • The Philippines Heart Center in Quezon City was inaugurated under President Marcos in 1975. Several famous heart surgeons worked there, including Christian Barnard and Denton Cooley :-

• There have been many health themes featured over the years, apart from TB, including " anti smoking " in 1980 :-

• … and preventive dentistry in 1994 :-

• 1986 marked the 75th anniversary of Philippine General Hospital, in Ermita, first opened in 1910, remaining open throughout World War II, and now the biggest hospital in the country with 1,500 bed capacity and turnover of 600,000 patients / year :-

Trusted Member
    • These stamps were issued at the end of December 1978, showing melon butterfly fish ( 30s ) ; black triggerfish ( P1.20 ) ; Picasso triggerfish ( P2.20 ) ; copper-banded butterflyfish ( P2.30 ) ; atoll butterflyfish ( P5 ) ; yellow-faced angelfish ( also P5 ) :-

• Two more sets of stamps featuring fish were issued in 1996 – 2nd series here, all P4, showing emperor angelfish ; mandarin fish ; regal angelfish ; clown triggerfish ; racoon butterflyfish ; powder brown tang ;two-banded anemonefish ; Moorish idol ; blue tang ; and majestic angelfish :-

• A series of butterflies was issued in May 1993 :-

• Stamps featuring orchids were printed in 1996, all P4, commemorating ASEANPEX ( Asian International Philatelic Exhibition ) :-

• In May 1998 there was a Florikultura International Garden Festival, in San Fernando, Pampanga – these stamps feature illustrations from " Flowers of the Philippines " ( Manuel Blanco ) :-

• In June last year ( 2014 ) a series featuring aquatic flowers was released, all P10, with the lotus ( Nelumbo - native to Asia ) ; Amazon lily ; water lily ; water hyacinth ( also native to Amazon basin ) ; and marsh marigold ( one of UK’s most ancient native plants ) :-

Great photo's of many beautiful and unusual stamps Alan, very interesting indeed

Trusted Member
    Thank you Michael ! I’m glad a few members have found my thread interesting .

• Water transport was featured in these stamps from November 1984, showing caracao ( canoes ) ( 60s ) ; Chinese junk ( P1.20 ) ; Spanish galleon ( P6 ) ; casco ( Filipino cargo prau / sailboat ) ( P7.20 ) ; early paddle-steamer ( P8.40 ) ; modern liner ( P 20 ) :-

• Paintings by Filipino artists were featured in a set issued in November 1995 – " Two Igorot Women " ( P2 ; Victorio Edades ) ; " Serenade " ( P6 ; Carlos Francisco ) ; " Tuba Drinkers " ( P7 ; Vicente Manansala ) ; and " Genesis " ( Hernando Ocampo ) :-

• " Endangered animals " were issued, supporting World Wildlife Fund, in July 1997, all P4 – Visayan warty pig ; sow and young warty pig ; Visayan spotted deer ; roe and young deer :-

• For the 50th Anniversary of WWF, in May 2011 a series of Philippine crocodiles was issued, all P7, including a young adult ( speckled, facing left ) ; hatchling and eggs ; adult ; and head of adult with open mouth :-

Trusted Member
    Just two more posts to complete the " 160 years " :-

• In 1998 and 1999 various stamps were issued to commemorate the centenary of Declaration of Philippine Independence, and friendship with Mexico and Spain. They show flags of the three countries, a Manila Galleon, Cebu Basilica, and " Holy Child " statuette :-

• From 31 December 1999, then throughout 2000, four " New Millenium " series were issued.

The 3rd – issued September 2000, each P5 – showed traditional sea craft ( balanghai, vinta, and caracoa ) :-

The 4th – issued December 2000, each P5 – showed ships in port ( Trade and Industry ) ; pupils and teacher ( Education and Knowledge ) ; and globe, satellite, family using computer, and woman using telephone ( Communications and Technology ) :-

• Baguio, the " Summer Capital of the Philippines " had been planned by architect Daniel Burnham in 1905, and the Government Center complex was completed in 1909. Stamps commemorating the centennial in 2009 showed Mansion House, Mines View Park, the cathedral, and Kennon Road :-

• Megan Young was named Miss World Philippines 2013 and then Miss World 2013 in Bali, making her the first Filipina to win the title :-

Trusted Member
    • These stamps were issued in July 2014 to commemorate the 150th birth anniversary of Apolinario Mabini ( 1864, in Tanauan, Batangas ). His legs were paralyzed from polio. He was Prime Minister and Secretary of Foreign Affairs in Aguinaldo’s Cabinet in 1899. He died from cholera, aged only 38 :-

• These stamps were released in October 2014 to commemorate the 75th founding anniversary of Quezon City. Under Commonwealth President Manuel Quezon, a tract of land purchased in 1938 became the City the following year. It was the Philippines capital from 1948 – 1976, Manila becoming capital again thereafter :-

• This souvenir stamp sheet issued in November 2014 shows festival masks ( Moriones Festival, Marinduque ; Higantes Festival, Angono Rizal ; and Pintados Festival, Tacloban ) :-

• December 2014 saw the release of stamps commemorating St Paul University, Dumaguete, established in Negros Oriental in 1904 :-

• Finally for 2014, these stamps commemorated Shell’s corporate presence in the Philippines since 1914 :-

• A Philippine-Israel joint commemorative was issued this year to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the Holocaust. In the late 1930s the Philippines coordinated rescue of over 1,300 Jews fleeing Germany. The stamp features the national flag of each country and the " Open Doors " monument in Rishon Lezion Memorial Park ( Tel Aviv ) :-

• This souvenir sheet was issued ( and 10,000 more copies later printed, to cope with demand ) commemorating the visit of Pope Francis to the Philippines in January 2015 :-

Thank you for viewing !

Trusted Member
    For members who may be interested, a few more stamps from the Spanish era :-

• King Alfonso XII of Spain , issued in 1878 ( House of Bourbon restored from 1874 ), 25 milesimas ( each 1/1000 peso ) :-

• The young King Alfonso XIII, on a stamp issued in 1894, 1 milesima :-

• An older King Alfonso XIII, on a stamp issued in 1898, 2 pesos, the last before the Filipino Revolutionary Government issues :-

Excellent Alan, keep them coming

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    Thank you so much for the link, Rayna

These complement my post #19 above

Surely every member would find this thread of interest, whether or not they collect ( and use ) stamps. They provide an illustrated history of life in the Philippines from 1854 to date. In answer to the questions posed on facebook, these stamps ARE still available - on eBay, stamp fairs around this country, and of course recent issues in Philippines post offices.

Even by 2011 " Stanley Gibbons Stamp Catalogue for South East Asia " listed over 4,500 " commemorative and definitive " stamps issued by the Philippines, far in excess of those issued by the UK since the " Penny Black " of 1840.

If you haven't already viewed this thread, please do so. It took far longer to prepare than the few minutes it might take to view .

Thank you Rayna, beautiful stamps. Alan, when did you require your first Philippine stamp and what stamp was it?

Trusted Member
    My first stamps from the Philippines were on this letter, posted in 1978 ( long before the era of emails ) by a Filipina friend working at the Regent of Manila hotel, to me at Hospital Universiti, Kuala Lumpur, where I was working that year.

The stamps had been issued in 1977 to commemorate the 15th anniversary of the Asian-Oceanic Postal Union.

The Regent of Manila, on Roxas Boulevard, pictured below, was burned down by arsonists, with loss of 25 lives, in 1985.

Trusted Member
    As this thread has shown, various sets of stamps have been issued since the late 1970s showing the range of marine life associated with the Philippines.

Sadly as we know this marine biodiversity is at risk from habitat loss, overharvesting of species, pollution, invasive species, destructive fishing practices and climate change. " Bleached corals " ( resulting from rising ocean temperatures ) are more vulnerable to stressors like disease which can kill them. About a thousand " Marine Protected Areas " have been established since the 1970s, which hopefully go some way towards averting these threats and protecting human livelihoods and nutrition.

These stamps were issued in June 1998 :-

Between March 2010 and May 2011 these stamps were issued to illustrate " Philippines Marine Biodiversity " :-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information