Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Republic of Ireland Votes Overwhelmingly In Favour Of Gay Marriage!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32858501

I reckon - as a Moderator - one ought to maintain at least some degree of neutrality.

Suffice to say, I've got my own thoughts ... so my only comment at this stage is best to be ... ... "there, but for the Grace of God, go I!"

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    The public spoke & good for them!
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Trusted Member
    Mutants are trying to take over the world.

They shouldn't be allowed to raise kids though.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Mutants are trying to take over the world.
    My uncle is gay and he is not a mutant! He's a responsible and loving human being!
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by Ako Si Jamie View Post
    Why not? There are gay parents who do well more than irresposible heterosexual parents. Don't be a prejudice.
    -=rayna.keith=-

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    Why not? There are gay parents who do well more than irresposible heterosexual parents. Don't be a prejudice.
    I'm not saying they wouldn't be but you need to see it from the kid's point of view. People seem to overlook that.

Kids can understand things if it is explained in a proper manner. It's up to the parents to explain the situation. If you encouraged kids to ask questions and open up their mind, nothing is impossible. The one that will probably affect them are views of closed minded people but that's why there are parents to explain everything to them. Yeah, it's not the kid's choice to be in that situation but it's all the same whether they are born in a heterosexual set of parents.
    -=rayna.keith=-

Trusted Member
    My uncle is gay and he is not a mutant! He's a responsible and loving human being!
    Did I suggest he wasn't ?

Have you looked up mutant in the dictionary ?

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Did I suggest he wasn't ?

Have you looked up mutant in the dictionary ?
    I know what mutant means. But with the way you use it, it's very negative. What's wrong with being gay? There are some gay members here if you forgot.
    -=rayna.keith=-

Respected Member
    I bet the Catholic Church are over the moon with this outcome

Quote Originally Posted by London_Manila View Post
    I bet the Catholic Church are over the moon with this outcome
    They said they are failing. Good! I'm a Catholic but I don't approve on a lot of things they are promoting.
    -=rayna.keith=-

Nothing against it my niece is gay, but it still would be odd to hear "do you take this man to be your lawful wedded husband, and do you sir take this man to be YOUR lawful wedded husband".

Now you may kiss the bride

Then to see two men kiss in public I would be a bit uncomfortable with - especially in front of children. I ain't gonna want to know anything about the honeymoon.

In time tho I guess it will become normal and although it's not my cup of tea who am I to say no you cant do it.

I think a civil partnership would have been sufficient.
    take it to extremes what next, can a man marry a horse?

It never used to be acceptable for kids to be brought up out of wedlock, the mother was often sent away from home in disgrace. In fact that still happens to this day. Times change. The young have spoken. Welcome to the future.

What people wish to do with their own lives is up to them, no one else. It is a basic human right to life. What it says in some story book is meaningless.
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

What people wish to do with their own lives is up to them, no one else. It is a basic human right to life. What it says in some story book is meaningless
    I will agree with you on that

Quote Originally Posted by les_taxi View Post
    Dunno, but this loon in Argentina married a tree - twice!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-n...-again-4691173

Quote Originally Posted by les_taxi View Post
    Already has.. I haven't watch the video. I just searched in Youtube (which also showed me results of men who are married to a dog, a car, a pillow and a doll). Not sure if that's the same guy in the clip of Jerry Springer Show I've seen in the past.

-=rayna.keith=-

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post

Suffice to say, I've got my own thoughts ... so my only comment at this stage is best to be ... ... "there, but for the Grace of God, go I!"
    I would, however, just like to express the view, that IMHO ... there was no real necessity for ANY society to take things as far as they've gone as - once again, in my opinion - in so~doing they're (more or less) effectively making a mockery of the sanctity of conventional, heterosexual marriage.

I would, however, just like to express the view, that IMHO ... there was no real necessity for ANY society to take things as far as they've gone as - once again, in my opinion - in so~doing they're (more or less) effectively making a mockery of the sanctity of conventional, heterosexual marriage.
    I believe this so-called sanctity of conventional marriage has already been broken in the past if you believe in or support divorce, which is the view of the church as well.
    -=rayna.keith=-

A child should be raised by 2 loving parents,i think its confusing for a child to see their friends with 2 parents one of either sex when they themselves have 2 same sex parents daddy and daddy or mummy and mummy

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

In the past, before mixed race marriages (particularly white/black couples), being single parents, and divorce were normal and accepted, there were also a lot of concern about the well-being of the kids because being in those situations which weren't normal back then would make it extremely hard/difficult for them. Now, those things are the norm and are accepted and being brought up in same sex parents are what causing such concerns. Sure, there are still few people who oppose the three situations I mentioned today, but they are only a minority. In the future, the same sex marriages and being in a family like that will be accepted and become the norm, and people who oppose them will also become a minority.
    -=rayna.keith=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    A child should be raised by 2 loving parents,i think its confusing for a child to see their friends with 2 parents one of either sex when they themselves have 2 same sex parents daddy and daddy or mummy and mummy
    More than confusing especially if it's a boy who has two fella's as parents. Imagine the ridicule he would receive growing up.

More than confusing especially if it's a boy who has two fella's as parents. Imagine the ridicule he would receive growing up.
    Ridicule from closed minded people.
    -=rayna.keith=-

I'm not talking about adults, Rayna.

Kids can be very cruel.

Kids usually reflect what their parents taught them. If parents of these kids tell them to accept equality, then kids will learn from it. Not all would be like that of course, but the more these kids are taught of equality, the more they would accept other kids' situation.

-=rayna.keith=-

Yeah ... but - it's in the earlier stages of childhood that I'd imagine this would be likely to be at its most problematic - young kids can be really cruel toward others in their peer group whom they perceive as being "different" in any way! , but it's true.

Having said that ... I notice BOTH my daughter and daughter-in-law have applauded the Irish vote on Facebook.

Yeah ... but - it's in the earlier stages of childhood that I'd imagine this would be likely to be at its most problematic - young kids can be really cruel toward others in their peer group whom they perceive as being "different" in any way!
    So you would just let your kid be cruel or bully another kid because he/she is different? That's where parents and any supervising adults should come into the equation. If parents tell or corrected such instances or explain to them of such things then kids will understand things eventually (that's if these adults have no problems with same sex couples). Wouldn't you correct young kids of any bad behavior in the first place? Teens are quite more complicated because they have their own mind. Kids, they reflect what things are being taught and told by the adults. If their parents and adults surrounding them tell them being gay or in a same sex relationship is awful/bad/disgusting, that's how they will perceive it. That will be what kids of same sex couples would most likely experience.

I don't have kids but I've got young nephews. When the eldest started learning how to curse at the age of 2 (he heard it from adult neighbours), we corrected it. I haven't heard him curse again since that week (he's 10 in Sept). With the youngest one, up to now he still drinks milk from the bottle and he'll be 6 in August. No one was telling him to stop coz my sister & brother-in-law are too busy to stop him & it's one of their way out off his tantrums sometimes. That's two different instances where adults were in control and not in situations with kids.

Like I said above, this situation will be more acceptable in the future. You can already see that although slowly, gay marriage is being accepted by society. It's mostly the old generation and religious ones who have problems with it The video I posted above shows that even young kids can accept it.
    -=rayna.keith=-

Having said that ... I notice BOTH my daughter and daughter-in-law have applauded the Irish vote on Facebook.
    Well ... as you can see from my second paragraph in #26 ... my daughter (now in her mid 40s) and my daughter in law (34) are BOTH very pleased at the result.

My last girlfriend used to get teased that her adopted dad had grey hair and was old (about 60 years old )
    She dreaded him picking her up from school. Kids can be horrible to each other and there is no doubt the child with 2 dad's will suffer at some point. Also the long term affects of not having a mother around to talk about things like the facts of life,period pains can't be just brushed aside. I'm not against gay marriage but if they adopt a child there will be many problems ahead.

You are forgetting that in a generation or two, it will be the norm, so kids will not think twice about it. Remember, for thousands of years it has been acceptable to have one dad, and many mums. That is how millions of families are to this day.

Ancient Greeks, Romans, Chinese, Egyptians, all had same sex marriages before Christianity.

Also, it is not that long ago since interracial marriage were illegal in a lot of countries, US for one, only banned it in 1967.
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information