Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Working in UK under Spouse Visa

Hello Guys,

Hope everyone's well!

I just want to share my experience today. I had an interview with one of the IT companies here in the UK. When the interviewer asked me about my current status, I told him that I am eligible to work in the UK under a spouse visa.

However, he asked me what will happen in case our relationship ends. I think he is just being practical as companies don't want to pay extra for sponsorship. I told him that I need to inform UKBA and see if they will grant me to continue my stay - especially if I have a good reason for that - and told him that I can get ILR after 2 years then apply for naturalisation.

I am not really prepared for that kind of question. No one is, I guess. Oh well, I just hope I'll get that job.

We might have ups and downs. But no matter how hard life is, through richer and poorer, I will fight for my love.
    “I am seeking, I am thriving, I am in it with all my heart.” - Vincent van Gogh

#freediver
    #surfer

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Good luck Mazza!

Personally I would have said, what if you go bankrupt and shut the company down?

Then I would have said, just like my relationship, I believe it will be strong for the rest of my life and I will do everything I can to make that happen. But you can't see into the future so it's a bit of an irrelevant question really.

And then got up and walked out as they won't be employing me after that outburst

Quote Originally Posted by Slip View Post
    Personally I would have said, what if you go bankrupt and shut the company down?

Then I would have said, just like my relationship, I believe it will be strong for the rest of my life and I will do everything I can to make that happen. But you can't see into the future so it's a bit of an irrelevant question really.

And then got up and walked out as they won't be employing me after that outburst
    I was actually shocked when I heard that question. haha...

#freediver
    #surfer

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Good luck Mazza!
    Thank you.

I actually tried to apply for a part time job with 'Next' the other day as a sales lady just to have something to do or go insane instead. It would be a great help for my soft skills and be familiarized with British accents. But I was not accepted . Anyway, I'll just stay in the IT industry.

#freediver
    #surfer

Hello Guys,

I got a job as a System Administrator (IT) in London. Its under a recruitment agency and I was advised to get an Umbrella firm. They gave me a list of the Umbrella firms and I need to inform them which one I will use. May I ask for an advice or what do I need to know on choosing an Umbrella firm? Thank you!!!!

#freediver
    #surfer

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_mazza View Post
    Hello Guys,

May I ask for an advice or what do I need to know on choosing an Umbrella firm?
    ... w(ea)ther it's or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Eh? They said I need to use an Umbrella firm to handle my taxes as I will not be directly hired by the company.

#freediver
    #surfer

Marian ... was just 'a lttle' on my part as I cannot say I'd ever heard of an 'Umbrella Firm' until you mentioned the expression. But then ... ... that would hardly be surprising ... since I've been retired for ages.

So, I took the opportunity to look up its definition on the Wikipedia website.

Here's what it says in the opening paragraph:

It is a Company that acts as an employer to Agency Contractors who work under a fixed term contract assignment - usually through a Recruitment Employment Agency in the United Kingdom.
    Alas, I am still none the wiser ... and, since it's a leng~thy article, copying the whole thing out would take me (a slow typist) virtually half the rest of the night.

So I would respectfully suggest that you go to the address bar, insert 'Umbrella Company' Wikipedia' and yourself.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Marian ... was just 'a lttle' on my part as I cannot say I'd ever heard of an 'Umbrella Firm' until you mentioned the expression. But then ... ... that would hardly be surprising ... since I've been retired for ages.

So, I took the opportunity to look up its definition on the Wikipedia website.

Here's what it says in the opening paragraph:

Alas, I am still none the wiser ... and, since it's a leng~thy article, copying the whole thing out would take me (a slow typist) virtually half the rest of the night.

So I would respectfully suggest that you go to the address bar, insert 'Umbrella Company' Wikipedia' and yourself.
    All new to me also

Respected Member
    Umbrella firm = contractor. I've contracted in IT in the past. I used a company called Parasol - have a look at their website. The company pays them, they pay you minus taxes and NI. Very simple and easy to do. However, if you're going to contract for more than a year or two then it is best to set up your own company to bill your 'employer'. As a contractor you get no normal company benefits such as holidays, sick pay, pension - so add the numbers up carefully. A contractor role should pay a higher rate to cover these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Trefor View Post
    Umbrella firm = contractor. I've contracted in IT in the past. I used a company called Parasol - have a look at their website. The company pays them, they pay you minus taxes and NI. Very simple and easy to do. However, if you're going to contract for more than a year or two then it is best to set up your own company to bill your 'employer'. As a contractor you get no normal company benefits such as holidays, sick pay, pension - so add the numbers up carefully. A contractor role should pay a higher rate to cover these things.
    Thank you Trefor. Yeah, they are paying a lot more than the direct employee. I'll read more about this as I think we could save a lot if we set up a limited company since me and my hubby is in the same industry. I spoke to the recruitment agency and they sent me a list of firms. Parasol is there but I chose Giant. Its all getting clearer to me now.

Thank you guys!!!

#freediver
    #surfer

Yeah Umberella companies are becoming more and more popular with agencies, less work for them and more profitable as they don't have to pay your holiday pay or NI contributions.

Basically you are self employed, so therefore you will be able to claim for meals during working hours there are 2 rates the lower rate is for working up to 8/10 hours per day, the higher rate is for over those hours, travel costs, work clothes, you can claim for far more than PAYE employees, always remember to put some aside for when you want a holiday.

I used to buy tools that I didn't even need. Also, on the way home get a KFC family deal £15.99 on expenses of course, much better than paying Tax. I used Parasol never had a problem.

Newbie (Restricted Access) rmsilva's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sweet_mazza View Post
    Hello Guys,

Hope everyone's well!

I just want to share my experience today. I had an interview with one of the IT company here in the UK. When the interviewer asked me about my current status, I told him that I am eligible to work in the UK under spouse visa.

However, he asked me what will happen in case our relationship ends. I think he is just being practical as companies don't want to pay extra for sponsorship. I told him that I need to inform UKBA and see if they will grant me to continue my stay - especially if I have a good reason for that - and told him that I can get ILR after 2 years then apply for naturalisation.

I am not really prepared for that kind of question. No one is, I guess. Oh well, I just hope I'll get that job.

We might have ups and downs. But no matter how hard life is, through richer and poorer, I will fight for my love.
    Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I am glad I found this forum. Just want to share my experience and probably someone might have had some answers to some of my queries.

Same thing happened to me. One CTO from a managed services business asked me during my interview, what will happen if I got separated from my wife, I just told him that it wont happen. In January, I got lots of interviews from different IT firms here in London but unfortunately, none of them replied back with a positive answer. I always passed the technical questions and exams and made it to the final steps but still no luck. After that, I've submitted hundreds of IT applications to different companies and agencies online, but still, haven't got any chance of getting an interview. I found out that the competition is very tight, 100+ applicants for just one vacant position. And if I got lucky enough to be selected for the first interview, the next challenge is my visa that will expire in June 2015. My wife and I have been staying here in London for almost 3 months now. Oh by the way, my wife is a Spanish/Filipino citizen. I am holding a Family of an EEA visa.

Since my visa will be expiring in June 2015, can I extend my visa anytime even if I am jobless? And where should we go to extend my visa?

My wife is already working full time.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by rmsilva View Post
    my visa that will expire in June 2015. My wife and I have been staying here in London for almost 3 months now. Oh by the way, my wife is a Spanish/Filipino citizen. I am holding a Family of an EEA visa.

Since my visa will be expiring in June 2015, can I extend my visa anytime even if I am jobless? And where should we go to extend my visa?

My wife is already working full time.

Thank you
    That Family Permit will not expire.
    It only shows an expiry date as technically all visa's issued by UK must have an expiry date shown. That June 2015 expiry date just means that you needed to enter UK within the FP validity of 6 months.
    You will not be considered as overstay or illegal by remaining beyond that date.

I'm surprised that none of your prospective employers questioned your immigration status.

Why haven't you applied for your residence card ?
    I'd strongly suggest you do so ASAP
    Although it's not mandatory it's most definitely highly beneficial especially in terms of travel and particularly in seeking employment.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    That Family Permit will not expire.
    It only shows an expiry date as technically all visa's issued by UK must have an expiry date shown. That June 2015 expiry date just means that you needed to enter UK within the FP validity of 6 months.
    You will not be considered as overstay or illegal by remaining beyond that date.

I'm surprised that none of your prospective employers questioned your immigration status.

Why haven't you applied for your residence card ?
    I'd strongly suggest you do so ASAP
    Although it's not mandatory it's most definitely highly beneficial especially in terms of travel and particularly in seeking employment.
    Thank you soooo much Sir Terpe . I am pretty much relieved that I am already qualified to apply for a residence card. So it could be that we were misinformed; a friend told us that my wife could only apply for a residence card if she has already stayed here for 5 years, which made me assume that it would be impossible for me to get a residence card yet. Is there any site that we can read about our rights and legalities here in UK? Also, I was told by one of our Spanish friend, a single mom of 2 kids, that she is getting around GBP 1,500 every month and housing benefit (3 bedroom apartment) from the government. Could that be possible? I'm really wondering if that's true because another friend, a Filipino British couple, with 2 kids here, say that they are only getting around GBP 140 every month from the government, nor are they being given housing benefit. How could it be that the EU national seems to receive greater amount of benefits than the Filipino British citizens? Thanks again Sir Terpe

Up for this thread

Up for this thread
    You should start a new thread.

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar
    Internet troll maybe mmm...

... a friend told us that my wife could only apply for a residence card if she has already stayed here for 5 years, which made me assume that it would be impossible for me to get a residence card yet. Is there any site that we can read about our rights and legalities here in UK? Also, I was told by one of our Spanish friend, a single mom of 2 kids, that she is getting around GBP 1,500 every month and housing benefit (3 bedroom apartment) from the government. Could that be possible? I'm really wondering if that's true because another friend, a Filipino British couple, with 2 kids here, say that they are only getting around GBP 140 every month from the government, nor are they being given housing benefit. How could it be that the EU national seems to receive greater amount of benefits than the Filipino British citizens? Thanks again Sir Terpe
    She can apply for a Permanent Residence card after 5 yrs.

Is the lady who gets £1,500 a month, is that + housing benefit??? and is she working ???
    It's possible she could get that, depends on her circumstances
    Income Support for lone parent =£72.50 a week
    Child Benefit for 2 kids, about £136 a month
    Child Tax Credits at a guess could be £800 a month for 2 kids if not working

But it doesn't mean you would get that
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Thread Information