Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Lightbulb Top 15 Sushi Bars in the World

What makes a good sushi experience? First, it’s all about the fish—the fresher the better! Secondly, a little creativity can go a long way. Luckily, more and more sushi restaurants around the world are taking freshness and creativity to delicious new levels.

Here are our top picks for the fifteen most impressive sushi bars around the world…

1. Urasawa, Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.
    There is a reason why dinner for 2 at Urasawa in Los Angeles will set you back about $1,000 (with tip and tax)—it’s that darn good! This sushi bar offers limited room at 10 diners per sitting, and the dining experience is as much a culinary one as it is a theatrical event. Chef and owner, Hiroyuki Urasawa, might just choose the evening as the perfect time to unveil fresh tuna on a custom-carved ice pedestal!

2. Sukiyabashi Jiro, Tokyo, Japan
    Owned and operated by Jiro Ono, 86-years young, and the only sushi chef in the world to earn 1-2-3 Michelin stars, Sukiyabashi Jiro is renowned as the “World’s Top Sushi Restaurant.” Grab a stool at the small, intimate sushi bar and watch Ono master his knife and serve you up the most phenomenal tasting treats!

3. Sushi Sasabune, Honolulu, Hawaii, U.S.A.
    Put your dinner in the hands of Seiji Kumagawa, the chef at Sushi Sasabune in Honolulu and your taste buds will be mesmerized by the over 2 dozen kinds of seafood and fish hailing from Hawaii, Alaska, and as far as Japan.

4. Tojo’s, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Every time Joe Perry of the band Aerosmith ventures near Vancouver, BC, he stops into Tojo’s for “omakase” (which translates to “leave it to us”). The city landmark is known as the place where Chef Tojo can serve up heaven on a platter after just a few queries about your personal palate.

5. Soto, New York City, New York, U.S.A.
    Dinning guides like Zagat and Michelin rate Soto as one of the most memorable sushi restaurants in the Big Apple. Know particularly for its assortment of sea urchin, you can watch from a stool at the bar as Chef Sotohiro Kosugi slices thin using his magic knives.

6. Kintaro, Köln, Cologne, Germany
    Serving up traditional Japanese fare with an intimate touch, Kintaro and its hosts, owners Mr. and Mrs. Sotohiro Kosugi are an unforgettable duo. The mister will prepare maguro, salmon, or tuna that literally melts in your mouth while the missus manages the wait staff and attends to your every need.

7. Yutaka Sushi Bistro, Dallas, Texas, U.S.A.
    Serving fish and seafood fresh from the coasts of America, you’ll be hard pressed to find more delicious uni, prickly sea urchin, salmon, or king crab. This super trendy, bustling establishment is run by notable chef and owner, Yutaka Yamato.

8. Yoshi, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Sticking closely to Japanese tradition, Yoshi in Vancouver is a favorite of adventurous diners who don’t mind leaving their dinner up to the 3 skilled chefs behind the larger sushi bar. You’ll be surprised by an assortment that could include sushi and sashimi made with marinated maguro, basashi (horsemeat sashimi) or hokke hiraki (grilled Japanese cod). Wash it all down with cold decorated with fresh flowers.

9. Itsu, Chelsea, London, England
    There are no reservations needed at Itsu, the kaiten (or conveyor belt) style sushi bar in Chelsea. So if you see a particularly delectable plate of crab avocado sushi or beef and black beans in a mango sauce pass by, you can claim it as your own, but remember the 3 three chefs are constantly preparing meals for the kaiten so pace yourself…

10. Shiro’s, Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
    Maguro, Toro, Albacore, unagi…oh my! It’s never a dull meal at Shiro’s in Seattle, renowned for their cold sake, perfectly chilled in beautiful, blue glass flasks. It explains why this Westcoast landmark continues to draw return guests.

11. Masu Sushi and Robata, Minneapolis, Minnesota
    It figures that the “land of 1000 lakes” would host an extraordinary sushi bar. And Masu Sushi and Robata is just that! You’ll be struck by the quirky atmosphere and decor. Masu Shushi and Robata is equally reputed for the mouthwatering sushi and sashimi as it is for its “Robata Selection”, which are grilled, Japanese-style dishes like juicy jumbo shrimp or vegetable skewers.

12. Sushi Den, Denver, Colorado, U.S.A.
    Sushi Den doesn’t sound like anything fancy—especially when you consider its location—Denver, Colorado with no water in sight. However, the selection of entrees and sushi bar delicacies served up by their 7 chefs is quite impressive. Sit at the lengthy bar and watch the slicing and dicing up close.

13. Miura, Hamamatsu, Japan
    Tucked away in the little town of Hamamatsu, just west of Nagoya, Japan, you won’t catch many other tourists at Miura. However, the classic sushi prepared by Chef, Mr. Masaaki Miura is well worth the detour.

14. Matsuhisa, Los Angeles California, U.S.A.
    Ever since its beginnings in 1987, Matsuhisa has been known as one of the best sushi bars in the world. A virtual Japanese-Peruvian infusion, Chef Matsuhisa brought back influences from his time spent in South America. Trust the experts and leave dinner up to one of the delectable daily specials.

15. Fujiyama, Sea Point, Cape Town, South Africa
    You’ll be initially impressed by the dramatic decor and Italian flare of Fujiyama. However, it’s the amazing sushi, sashimi, and Japanese classics that will truly make an impact, and have you begging for a return visit.

Source

Those photo's are tempting me

I've a craving now...

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

I don't really know much about sushi, however I will try anything once if it's food.

Is the sushi served in the UK westernized?

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    I don't really know much about sushi, however I will try anything once if it's food.

Is the sushi served in the UK westernized?
    Mostly not. (not much you can change with raw food) Although the range available is fairly limited.

Personally I prefer Sashimi.
    Sushi is presented on a a small roll of rice.

Jake, there's some excellent Japanese restaurants in Manila

I'll post a couple well worth a visit here later

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Mostly not. (not much you can change with raw food) Although the range available is fairly limited.

Personally I prefer Sashimi.
    Sushi is presented on a a small roll of rice.

Jake, there's some excellent Japanese resaurants in Manila

I'll post a couple well worth a visit here later

Me too! I'm not quite a fan of squid and tuna sashimi though, but I couldn't get enough of the salmon sashimi! Whenever my friends and I go to a Japanese restaurant in Manila, my plate was usually full of salmon sashimi!
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    ....I'll post a couple well worth a visit here later
    Here's some info on the Japanese Restaurants I have personally experienced and can recommend:-

Ikkoryu Fukuoka Ramen

Izakaya Kenta

Ramen Nagi Manila

Watami Japanese restaurant

Enjoy

I need to find some good ones in Davao City as I've no knowledge of any there.

Of course there's Japanese foods at Viking Buffet Davao and we'll be eating there very soon
    Together with my unlimited beer

Thanks Peter

Now i just need to persuade Mrs Jake to join me, as she is not a fan of raw fish or rare meat.

Thanks Peter

Now i just need to persuade Mrs Jake to join me, as she is not a fan of raw fish or rare meat.

Same as Keith!
    -=rayna.keith=-

A close friend of Shey's works for a sushi company and always brings freshly made sushi and sashimi with him whenever he pops over

Thanks Peter

My favourite Japanese cooked food is Yakitori

Literally thousands of Yalitori eateries all over Japan from big cities to small viallages.
    BBQ'd pieces on bamboo skewers.

Usually accompanied by copious amount of namabi-ru

My second favourite Japanese cooked food is Tempura. Fish and vegetables.

Usually accompanied by copious amount of namabi-ru

My third is Ramen which is a Japanese noodle soup with meat or fish. I like it best with Pork.

Ive been pushed into Sushi bars a couple of times.. Never enjoyed the experience to be honest.
    We have a Jap tenant that wanted to take us to a really expensive Sushi bar in Makati..
    I advised him not to waste his money on me!

Thread Information