Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drivers

Drivers

Most people drive these days so there are lots on the road and maybe we class ourselves as the best drivers around.

But we are not, we all make mistakes and a little wave or a sorry goes a long way, but I think today's drivers blame the other person no matter what and they all want to fight you too.

Pet hates for me is someone driving right up your , and those people who try to get into the gap that is not there until you have to make it.

That's better!

Don't get me started on driving

MLM's Middle Lane Morons, those ing inconsiderate idiots who insist on driving in the middle lane on the motorway. The inside lane is the one you use for driving you ing morons!!! I've had arguments with people who seriously think that the inside lane is for lorries or when you're coming off at the next junction.

I could go on...............

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post

MLM's Middle Lane Morons, those ing inconsiderate idiots who insist on driving in the middle lane on the motorway. The inside lane is the one you use for driving you ing morons, I've had arguments with people who seriously think that the inside lane is for lorries or when you're coming off at the next junction.
    Never done it, honest

I confess to being a 'middle lane driver' and the reasons why.

No way am I going to sit behind a load of wagons, or old biddies doing 50mph when I have to get my customers - or simply me - to the airport etc.

It's much more dangerous to be in and out of the inside lane. By definition, you are creating a greater chance for error/accidents in the number of moves you would need to take - probably hundreds on a long journey.

I'm basically in the middle lane doing about 80-85mph. There is nothing too close behind me - or in front - as I leave decent gaps. Anyone bombing it, simply overtakes me in the outside lane.

I don't see anything wrong with that at all - it's how we've done it for years.

The law says that's wrong - I say the law is wrong and I will further add: What is much more dangerous is opening hard shoulders for traffic to use at busy times. What if some poor bugger has broken down and the camera's not picked it up? !

I would agree more if the middle lane idiot is doing 50 and you can't get out of your inside lane to overtake.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    The nearside lane is for regular driving and the other two lanes are for overtaking only, also when driving round roundabouts I was taught no way should you overtake on a roundabout; also you shouldn't indicate on roundabouts, as the vehicle in front can only proceed left off the roundabout and that is the way I was told to drive when taking my driving test!

The nearside lane is for regular driving and the other two lanes are for overtaking only
    I'm ok then, as I'm overtaking everyone in the nearside lane

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    Most people drive these days
    'fraid I don't, Steve! ... perhaps it's just as well ... ... especially in the light of what you - and others - have reported above!

90% of the time I'm in agreement with you Les, but on this occasion

Quote Originally Posted by les_taxi View Post
    I confess to being a 'middle lane driver' and the reasons why.

No way am i going to sit behind a load of wagons, or old biddies doing 50mph when I have to get my customers - or simply me - to the airport etc.

It's much more dangerous to be in and out of the inside lane. By defintion you are creating a greater chance for error/accidents in the number of moves you would need to take - probably hundreds on a long journey.
    So you're a professional driver but can't judge speeds or distances

basically in the middle lane doing about 80-85mph. There is nothing too close behind me - or in front - as I leave decent gaps. Anyone bombing it, simply overtakes me in the outside lane.

I don't see anything wrong with that at all - it's how we've done it for years.
    Who's we? The law also says that doing 80-85mph is wrong

The law says that's wrong - I say the law is wrong and I will further add: What is much more dangerous is opening hard shoulders for traffic to use at busy times. What if some poor bugger has broken down and the camera's not picked it up? !

I would agree more if the middle lane idiot is doing 50 and you can't get out of your inside lane to overtake.
    If you don't leave a big enough gap to stop if someone is stationary when you approach, then you deserve to have your licence taken away from you

Its funny about the outside lane - when there is a hold up on any motorway, everyone jumps into the outside lane following the lorries.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar

MLM's Middle Lane Morons, those ing inconsiderate idiots who insist on driving in the middle lane on the motorway. The inside lane is the one you use for driving you ing morons!!! I've had arguments with people who seriously think that the inside lane is for lorries or when you're coming off at the next junction.

Keith hates the same types of drivers! Yesterday there was one while we're on the road going to Liverpool. She's driving in the middle lane and the other drivers are already undertaking her because she won't move.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

90% of the time I'm in agreement with you Les, but on this occasion

So you're a professional driver but can't judge speeds or distances

Who's we The law also says that doing 80-85mph is wrong

If you don't leave a big enough gap to stop if someone is stationary when you approach then you deserve to have your licence taken away from you
    Sorry Simon, disagree with you 100%

Ok, of course I can judge speed and distances, I'm pointing out a simple fact that pulling in and out over what may be a 4 hour-8 hour journey - or any journey - would definitely lead to more chance of driver error.

I don't know what motorways you drive on Simon, but on the M1, M62 and A1, you get very few people doing 70mph dead on. We are talking realism here.

For many years, the AA and other credible motoring organisations have said the speed limit is too low - look at Germany - where there is or was no speed limit on the Autobahn's.

I would say at least 70% of motorists go faster than 70mph.

Regarding you third point; of course that's true, but again in the real world, many drivers do not leave enough of a gap - I do.

Keith hates the same types of drivers! Yesterday there was one while we're on the road going to Liverpool. She's driving in the middle lane and the other drivers are already undertaking her because she won't move.
    Totally agree - the inside lane was made for her.

Funny you very rarely see any cops on the motorway now, unless there is an accident - then you cannot move because they are everywhere

There will be more now as there is money to be made trying to nab me

Come next month there will be that many vosa around pulling up lorry drivers everywhere to make sure they have their CPC cards.

That's where the money will be made, mark my words.

So pleased I stopped distance driving 4 years ago, it was just getting so bad, now just jog around a steelworks loading trailers all night long, no vosa to worry about.

Vosa are very active outside my work.... You would be surprised at the amount of lorries that get ticketed for defects!

Ok, of course I can judge speed and distances, I'm pointing out a simple fact that pulling in and out over what may be a 4 hour-8 hour journey - or any journey - would definitely lead to more chance of driver error.

I don't know what motorways you drive on Simon, but on the M1, M62 and A1, you get very few people doing 70mph dead on. We are talking realism here.

For many years, the AA and other credible motoring organisations have said the speed limit is too low - look at Germany - where there is or was no speed limit on the Autobahn's.

Regarding you third point; of course that's true, but again in the real world, many drivers do not leave enough of a gap - I do.
    I do no more than 60 on motorways!

Quote Originally Posted by splitpin View Post
    So pleased i stopped distance driving 4 years ago, it was just getting so bad, now just jog around a steelworks loading trailers all night long, no vosa to worry about.
    Do you work in sunny Scunny?

Come next month there will be that many vosa around pulling up lorry drivers everywhere to make sure they have there CPC cards.

That's where the money will be made mark my words
    What a pain the CPC is Steve. I finally got my card last month.

Now I have to make sure I have yet another card with me when I am at work.

And how many of our fellow European HGV drivers have done the CPC?
    As life is to live so love is to give

Yes I do, Michael.

Did you learn anything on the CPC course?

, I certainly didn't! Just more confusion. My wallet has no money in it but plenty of cards now:

Driver Card, Tacho Card, cards galore.

What is much more dangerous is opening hard shoulders for traffic to use at busy times. What if some poor bugger has broken down and the camera's not picked it up? !
    What are the rules for the hard shoulder where they can be opened for traffic? Because they're not clear cut. I've seen motorists drive down them when the signs aren't working.

Because of this, I thought it was allowed. I did it myself about half a mile before I was due to turn off and came across a broken-down car. No red crosses, nothing.

Fortunately I saw him well in advance.

Trusted Member
    I just wish you lot would get a move on !

Trusted Member
    Hardest thing about driving a TVR is NOT looking like you're showing off.

Quote Originally Posted by splitpin View Post
    Yes I do, Michael.
    You'll remember CLS Transport then!

Respected Member
    Most people drive these days so there are lots on the road and maybe we class ourselves as the best drivers around.

But we are not, we all make mistakes and a little wave or a sorry goes a long way, but I think today's drivers blame the other person no matter what and they all want to fight you too.

Pet hates for me is someone driving right up your , and those people who try to get into the gap that is not there until you have to make it.

That's better!
    You have to drive bumper to bumper in London - because if you don't, people will cut in on you all the time.

Respected Member

I just go down the inside lane and that normally wakes them up

On your first point, I couldn't disagree more. Driving properly, using lane discipline and keeping a safe distance will keep your brain alert as opposed to sitting in the middle lane with not much to concentrate on.

Mainly drive on the M4, M25 and M40 except when I'm going up tut north

There's no way you can draw a comparison between a German autobahn and a British motorway.

I drive a 5ltr supercharged V8, with over 500BHP, you have a guess at what speed I travel at

After driving for 40 years - and having had many cars in that time - I have now sold my car and am trying to see if I miss it so much I need another.

I look back at my early driving days with good memories of what would now be called "old bangers" that I repaired and rebuilt, starting with a Bond 3 wheeler that had a 2 stroke motor cycle engine in it.

Then I had 2 1950 side valve type Ford Anglias that I put the number plate on the one I had going!

I find no fun in driving these days though.
    Mick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information