Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Wedding notice period to nearly double in bid to crackdown on sham marriages

It would be better if you could only marry in the country where one of you is a legal resident.

The new rules will mean the current notice period of a wedding ceremony will be almost doubled from 15 to 28 days.

But the new rules will apply to all couples - including two British people - and will effectively spell the end of “shotgun wedding” where couples try to marry speedily.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...double-3957217
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Maybe Gretna Green will become a destination again

I don't think the change will make much difference. Especially if money is changing hands.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    I don't think the change will make much difference. Especially if money is changing hands.
    Mandatory jailing of the comecon brides would make a difference

Only one problem Ded. There is no room left in our jails.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    Only one problem Ded. There is no room left in our jails.
    Build more - I'd be very happy to see my taxes spent on such worthwhile projects

Screw anyone saying it's raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacist! It is not rocket science that most scam marriages involve a woman from an eastern european country, marrying a man from about 3 certain countries - overwhelmingly one certain country.

It is also a fact that frankly most white women just aren't usually attracted to men from that region, it's NOTHING to do with racism and everything to do with simple human attraction. Couple this with the other fact people from that region seldom marry outside their culture and religion and it's obvious to anyone including a drunken halfwit which potential marriages are possibly scams.

Quote Originally Posted by Iani View Post
    Screw anyone saying it's raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacist! It is not rocket science that most scam marriages involve a woman from an eastern european country, .
    I didn't know Portugal was an eastern European country I don't think its just eastern Europeans, they could be from anywhere in Europe now, even Brits have done it

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e51_1374003811
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Banned
    The vast majority reported are from Eastern Europe with Portugal lagging behind in 2nd place - I've yet to see reports mentioning any other EU countries

Just out of curiosity are there any stats on this?
    Not a trick question, just I just haven't seen any.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    I'm not sure about the nationality of those involved but a couple of years ago I got a "not in the public interest" type reply from the Home Office to my FOI request asking how many raids they did on sham weddings and resulting figures for convictions, jailings and deportations

Banned
    I'm not sure about the nationality of those involved but a couple of years ago I got a "not in the public interest" type reply from the Home Office to my FOI request asking how many raids they did on sham weddings and resulting figures for convictions, jailings and deportations.

Thanks Terpe I've inserted the word "reported" into my post #9 above

There must be some stats somewhere otherwise how can it be suggested that most UK sham marriages involve Eastern European women.

Interesting report here:-

UK immigration inspector investigates sham marriages

......The Home Office has said that the general pattern is that a man from outside the European economic area will pay a criminal gang who will find a woman who is willing to marry for money, usually from one of the newer EU countries such as Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia or the Czech Republic.

Banned
    There must be some stats somewhere otherwise how can it be suggested that most UK sham marriages involve Eastern European women.
    Untold media reports - have you ever read one that didn't quote Portugal or a former Warsaw Pact state ?

Sorry just seen your post.......... Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia or the Czech Republic. I think Slovenia & Hungary are also major players

Edit just seen Terpe's reply. Well guess there's the evidence such as it is in writing.

Now really, can they not notice a pattern here?

Funny (Well not really) how they mention men from some countries marrying women then dumping them.
    Everyone surely knows some lady in her 50's plus who met a handsome (ooookay) young 20 year old waiter in Turkey and Tunisia, was persuaded that what he really wanted in life was a granny with sexy bingo wings and a tramp stamp tattoo or three, and she was amazed when he ran off soon as he got UK residency and is now working down the Turkish restaurant in town.

Good grief, do they leave their senses behind when they go on holiday? You can bet the same women would accuse men of being saddos who think with their bits if they were to go on lads holidays to Magaluf in their 40's

Thread Information