Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

First Time Traveling with EEA2 Residence Card

Good day everyone! It's been a long time since I have been here and I am back for more advice. I got my EEA2 Residence Card last year and my husband (Irish) and I are going on vacation to the Philippines for the first time (together with our 1 year old) since I arrived here in the UK in 2012. I would like to ask for the latest/updated information about traveling using my residence card. I'm not sure if this has been discussed already here recently but if anyone could give me info I would really appreciate it. Like coming back to the UK from vacation, am I correct to say that I do not need any other type of visa to re-enter the UK other than my residence card? I have read that passports of those with residence card should not be stamped. Would there be any issues if it does get stamped? If anyone could share their recent experience using their EEA2 residence card traveling, please kindly share. Thank you so much!

Hi there mindyspears,

Right of admission to the United Kingdom

(1) An EEA national must be admitted to the United Kingdom if he produces on arrival a valid national identity card or passport issued by an EEA State.

(2) A person who is not an EEA national must be admitted to the United Kingdom if he is a family member of an EEA national, a family member who has retained the right of residence or a person with a permanent right of residence under regulation 15 and produces on arrival—
    (a)a valid passport; and .
    (b)an EEA family permit, a residence card or a permanent residence card. .

(3) An immigration officer may not place a stamp in the passport of a person admitted to the United Kingdom under this regulation who is not an EEA national if the person produces a residence card or permanent residence card.

(4) Before an immigration officer refuses admission to the United Kingdom to a person under this regulation because the person does not produce on arrival a document mentioned in paragraph (1) or (2), the immigration officer must give the person every reasonable opportunity to obtain the document or have it brought to him within a reasonable period of time or to prove by other means that he is—
    (a)an EEA national; .
    (b)a family member of an EEA national with a right to accompany that national or join him in the United Kingdom; or .
    (c)a family member who has retained the right of residence or a person with a permanent right of residence under regulation 15. .

(5) But this regulation is subject to regulations 19(1) and (2).
    Source here at The Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006

Addionally, if you are travelling with your EEA spouse you can join the EU queue at UK arrival.
    Travelling alone then technically you should join the Non-EU queue.
    You do not need to fill out a landing card at UK arrival.

Hope that answers your questions

Oh this is great! Thank you so much for your reply Terpe! Just want to clarify the stamping of passport, would there be any issues if for some reason they stamp the passport?

Quote Originally Posted by mindyspears View Post
    Oh this is great! Thank you so much for your reply Terpe! Just want to clarify the stamping of passport, would there be any issues if for some reason they stamp the passport?
    Sorry to say I can't give any definitive answer. I've never known a case where the passport was stamped at UK immigration.
    I can't think of any issues.......if it looks happening then just mention the directive. If it actually happens genty request to see a supervisor.

Thread Information