Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Question Is there a really speedy Internet in Philippines?

Can anyone give me some ideas for this?
    What are the fastest options for Internet connection in the Philippines and how much will it cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    What are the fastest options for Internet connection in the Philippines and how much will it cost?
    Where in the Philippines? There are many places throughout the country that options do not exist!
    Must admit though..It is starting to get better.

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Where in the Philippines? There are many places throughout the country that options do not exist!
    Must admit though..It is starting to get better.
    Davao City ?

I`m not sure about Davao Peter as I have never been there..
    All I can suggest is that you research Globe and Smart broadband wireless connections and which one`s work best in the specific area of Davao that you are interested in.
    Where I live we have a Globe tower visible from my house which was built 2 years ago so we signed up for a Globe 2mb wireless modem. They say that it may be upgraded to 4G sometime soon.. Here in the P.I "Soon" could mean another 2 years.
    Before the tower was erected we had no Globe signal and were stuck with the smart dongle prepaid..
    In Panglao (Alona area) its pretty much the opposite) so signal strength depends on closely defined areas in relation to COM towers and of course the number of subscribers in your area.
    I just did a quick search and Smart 4G results look pretty good (Compared with what I get)..
    Not sure of cost for 4G..
    http://www.gamesandgizmos.net/note/s...sult-in-davao/

See what I mean!!

Banned
    Mrs D is in the boondocks at present and she's bought a "Pocket WiFi" I think its from Smart and you load it up. Viber calls seem to work OK through it and apparently you can register 12 devices. Guessing it isn't "fast" I've not heard of it before

See what I mean!!

Try this
    [IMG][/IMG]

There are quite few internet network providers in the Philippines and these are SMART, SUN, GLOBE, SKY... I would not suggest which one to go for as it depends on the area. I've not been in Davao so I wouldn't know neither which network is faster there. One thing I can say is, when you are at the city, most of these networks mentioned above are good but not as good as the quality of the internet connection here in the UK, and if in rural or remote areas, network is very unsatisfactory.

These networks offers broadband connection which you have to pay more or less php999 pesos a month.

They do pocket wifi now that looks like this...

[IMG][/IMG]

SMART Bro Pocket WiFi unit PhP php1,995
    Globe tattoo php1,799
    Sun php1,795

FOR SMART Pocket wifi only...

Create your own WiFi hotspot anywhere, anytime
    Connect up to 10 of your gadgets at once or share the signal with your friends
    Surf at speeds of up to 7.2 Mbps**
    Surf with less interruptions with Smart Bro’s most reliable signal
    Get 50 hours of surfing for just P599 monthly with Smart Bro Pocket WiFi Plan 599

Specifications

Prepaid

One-time fee: P1,995
    Usage fee: Pay per use. P5 for every 15 mins. Or avail of any usage package (Flexitime, Always On Plans & Unlisurf).
    Freebies: Preloaded with P20 airtime
    Connection: Via WiFi. Connects up to 10 devices.
    Speed: 7.2 Mbps**
    Lock-in period: None
    Application requirements: None
    System requirements: Any WiFi enabled device with WLAN 802.11/b/g/n standard and Internet Browser

Pocket WiFi Plan 999

One-time fee: P800 for the pocket WiFi device
    Monthly fee: P999 /month (SMS or other services aside from data will be charged on top of MSF)
    Inclusive hours: UNLIMITED
    Lock-in period: 24 months
    Application requirements: Subscriber application form, Proof of identification, Proof of address, Proof of income
    System requirements: Any WiFi enabled device with WLAN 802.11/b/g/n standard and Internet Browser

Pocket WiFi Plan 599

One-time fee: Add P800 for the pocket WiFi device
    Monthly fee: P599 /month (SMS or other services aside from data will be charged on top of MSF)
    Inclusive hours: 50 hours* w/ Anti Bill Shock (Excess minutes will be charged P5/15 mins until you reach a cap of P999 where you can enjoy unlimited surfing)
    Application requirements: Subscriber application form, Proof of identification, Proof of address, Proof of income

Pocket WiFi Plan 495

Monthly fee: P495+P150 device ammortization /month (SMS or other services aside from data will be charged on top of MSF)
    Inclusive hours: 50 hours* w/ Anti Bill Shock (Excess minutes will be charged P5/15 mins until you reach a cap of P999 where you can enjoy unlimited surfing)
    Freebies: Free 5 hours every bill paid on time
    *Usage of the inclusive hours is in blocks of 30 minutes
    **Where service is available, minimum GPRS speed of 12-48kbps at 80% service reliability rate.
    ***2.50/15 minute default charging rage

Each network provider offers different prepaid/postpaid internet plans but similar prices...

We have a stronger signal for Smart and Globe in my hometown..in town proper only though but to where our house is, signal to any network is very awful. We tried every network for our PC to have a stable internet connection but each of the network provider said it's not possible. I was hopeless just until my cousin brought her CD-R king 3G wifi router+Prepaid Sun Modem then she just bought a prepaid load php100 for the modem which was good for 3 days of internet wifi connection. It worked! 5 gadgets were surfing the net, slow but at least there is internet connection. Skype is possible for the family which is the main thing. Then before we came back to the UK, we bought our very own 3G wifi router (from OCTAGON because CD-R king had run out of stocks for what we're looking for) which can be connected to the PC and SUN modem. Now our PC has internet connection and at the same time my family can use their smartphones and tablets.

This is what I got at home which works very nicely with the PC not just with the tablets and phones

[IMG][/IMG]

And the dongle/modem

[IMG][/IMG]

For some reason these things worked...

I did not go for the pocket wifi as I doubted the reliability of the connection...

Banned
    I think my asawa has the SmartBro pocket wifi she'll leave it with the folks when she flies back

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    We used Sky and it was fine, I suppose it depends what area you live!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    We used Sky and it was fine, I suppose it depends what area you live!
    You are right Michael...

Thanks to all you lovely folks for some good info.

How do these internet cafe's get good speeds and bandwidth?

I just can't get my head around why the 'Asian Tiger' has such profitable telecoms company's yet such crappy internet

Banned

I just can't get my head around why the 'Asian Tiger' has such profitable telecoms company's yet such crappy internet
    Quite right Terpe - I read this article the other day http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-27379715

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    Quite right Terpe - I read this article the other day http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-27379715
    Great stuff Dedworth.
    Sounds good on paper .......but let's see

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    ​Internet cafes usually have business data lines, which obviously is a bit faster than regular data lines.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

We have Globe 4G about 1,700 per month, very fast.

Hi there! I don't have any idea about the internet in Davao as I live here in Cebu. It really depends on the area you are at. But for me here, I live literally in the mountain and I am using the smartbro pocket wifi ( I have to hang it in my window to get the proper connection ) I pay 999 peps a month. it does work okay to my laptop, iPad and iPhone. Though sometimes it's a pain specially when it's windy and it rains but other than that it's okay to use.
    But when I get back to the city, pocket wifi there works fine, don't need to hang it in my window.

Quote Originally Posted by Baruk View Post
    Hi there! I don't have any idea about the internet in Davao as I live here in Cebu. It really depends on the area you are at. But for me here, I live literally in the mountain and I am using the smartbro pocket wifi ( I have to hang it in my window to get the proper connection ) I pay 999 peps a month. it does work okay to my laptop, iPad and iPhone. Though sometimes it's a pain specially when it's windy and it rains but other than that it's okay to use.
    But when I get back to the city, pocket wifi there works fine, don't need to hang it in my window.
    We used to have a Smart dongle..
    I had to buy a 10 meter long cable to hoist it up a flagpole.. We put a plastic cup over the Dongle to protect it from the weather.. The signal was marginally better.
    More fun in the P.I..!!

Respected Member Jentobeharrison's Avatar
    Hi Terpe,

I am a postpaid subscriber of Globe and I would say that their internet service is horrible, to the point that they always adjust my unlimited data plan costs (999 php) every month because I am not getting the service I deserve, even if I am living in a city, most of the places are still in 3G but whenever I go to some popular places like Makati, Taguig, Quezon City, they have 4G signal but STILL HORRIBLE, maybe due to loads of users.
    That's for mobile

For broadband I must say that you could just get PLDT DSL as they have a very good service, and PLDT has Fibr, thats the fastest internet connection, the minimum price is 3500, I searched if they have already fibr service in Davao city, and these are the villages that has Fibr connection:

Davao

Belisario Village
    Don Lorenzo
    Grace Park Subdivision
    Insular Village
    La Vista Monte Phase 2
    Ladislawa Garden Village
    Monte Maria
    Palm Ridge Subdivision
    Reldo Subdivision
    Rosalina Village Ph 3
    Ruby & Pag-Ibig Subdivision
    Samantha Executive Homes
    Samantha Homes Subdivision
    South Villa Country Homes
    St. Therese Subdivision
    Susana Home Subdivision
    Victor’s Valley Panorama

I had to buy a 10 meter long cable to hoist it up a flagpole.. We put a plastic cup over the Dongle to protect it from the weather.. The signal was marginally better.
    More fun in the P.I..!!
    I use to put a long cable to my dongle before but it slows down my connection and can only use one device, so changed to pocket wifi.. Haha I use to climb at my daughters tree house just to get connection. More fun in P.I indeed

Quote Originally Posted by jonnijon View Post
    We have Globe 4G about 1,700 per month, very fast.
    Whereabouts are you jonnijon?

Quote Originally Posted by Jentobeharrison View Post
    Hi Terpe,

I am a postpaid subscriber of Globe and I would say that their internet service is horrible, to the point that they always adjust my unlimited data plan costs (999 php) every month because I am not getting the service I deserve, even if I am living in a city, most of the places are still in 3G but whenever I go to some popular places like Makati, Taguig, Quezon City, they have 4G signal but STILL HORRIBLE, maybe due to loads of users.
    That's for mobile

For broadband I must say that you could just get PLDT DSL as they have a very good service, and PLDT has Fibr, thats the fastest internet connection, the minimum price is 3500, I searched if they have already fibr service in Davao city, and these are the villages that has Fibr connection:

Davao

Belisario Village
    Don Lorenzo
    Grace Park Subdivision
    Insular Village
    La Vista Monte Phase 2
    Ladislawa Garden Village
    Monte Maria
    Palm Ridge Subdivision
    Reldo Subdivision
    Rosalina Village Ph 3
    Ruby & Pag-Ibig Subdivision
    Samantha Executive Homes
    Samantha Homes Subdivision
    South Villa Country Homes
    St. Therese Subdivision
    Susana Home Subdivision
    Victor’s Valley Panorama
    Thanks for the info, I'll follow up on PLDT and especially the fibre route.

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    ​Internet cafes usually have business data lines, which obviously is a bit faster than regular data lines.
    I had a feeling that must the case Rayna ........ I'll research that as a possibility and check out the speed/cost benefit. Thankyou

Tagum City Mindanao terpe. Just to add, we got rid of pldt kept dropping out.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnijon View Post
    Tagum City Mindanao terpe. Just to add, we got rid of pldt kept dropping out.
    Hmm, not far from Davao then....sounds interesting

I've sent you a PM jonnijon....hope you don't mind.

Trusted Member
    Thanks for all the useful info on this folks. Something I was investigating too.

I`m not sure about Davao Peter as I have never been there..
    ... ... oh ...you've never been to Davao, Fred? Ah ... you don't know what you're missing!

Strangely ... ... Myrna hasn't ever been to Bohol.

I top 10Mbps at 3500 a month on PLDT fixed landline. Steep but i can stream and Skype no problem, although it can slow down on Weekends. That is Cebu City...so no doubt Davao may have similar options...

Quote Originally Posted by chrisincebu View Post
    I top 10Mbps at 3500 a month on PLDT fixed landline. Steep but i can stream and Skype no problem, although it can slow down on Weekends. That is Cebu City...so no doubt Davao may have similar options...
    Thanks Chris

More fun in the P.I..!!
    That's exactly what my brother did first, having a long cable up to the rooftop, placed the dongle inside a plastic bottle...in one good year it worked but eventually the signal was getting weaker and weaker....

I tried PLDT to look and assesses our area, but same as other internet providers, they declined because the strength of the signal is not very good.

Thread Information