Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Reacquisition of Philippines citizenship and getting new Phil passports

We are planning on a visit to the Phillippine Embassy in London probably in the next few weeks to a) reacquire Philippine Citizenship for my wife & step daughter and b) put in passport applications for them both.

But I have a query that maybe someone who has done this may be able to answer.

The reacquisition forms ask for FIVE photographs 4.5 cms by 3.5cms BUT with a WHITE background. However the passport forms there is NO mention of supplying ANY additional photographs under required documents.

Philippines passports seem to normally have BLUE background to the photographs (well they are in my wife & step daughters current phil passport).

Does anybody know if there is a requirement to supply any new photographs with a BLUE background for the passport application...or is it that passports issued here use those photo's supplied when you reacquire citizenship?

Anybody out there done this in London that can help?

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    I'm not sure about the photo requirements for re-acquisition of Philippines citizenship (Mari just did it so she can probably help you with that), but for passports, no need to submit photos as they would get biometrics (fingerprints, signature & photo) for it at the Embassy.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Hi Lordna, I submitted the normal photos taken from the photo booth (ie, Morrisons/Asda).
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Daughter and I did not apply for new E-passport as we both got our dual citizenship certificate with us to take when we travel back to the PH.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Interesting, I must watch this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    Hi Lordna, I submitted the normal photos taken from the photo booth (ie, Morrisons/Asda).
    Goodness me you're right!...the standard photo's from a booth for passports are the right size, so I will use that. What threw me is the reacquisition form shows 2 boxes for photos (with the dimensions marked in them 4.5 times 3.5) but the boxes are actually square (4.5 x 4.5).

I forgot all about biometrics so obviously they already have the passport photos presumably. However, one does wonder, having read others comments, what the point is in actually getting a Philippines passport if you don't need it to enter the country!

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Respected Member
    Hi lordna

I have been to the PI last year afterI re acquire my Phil. Citizenship. I do have a Phil epassport as well as my 2 British daughters.

It will save you a lot of time effort and money if you re acquire and apply for a passport at the same time.

If in the future you decided to stay longer than 1 year in the PI as far as I know it is better to enter in a Phil passport.

If you don't get a passport now in the future if you apply for one they do charge 18 pounds for late renewals - info that they don't tell you as my friend did the same thing.

Going to the Embassy in London will take a lot of your time
    effort and money....why not do it all at the same time? There is no harm in doing so.

Banned
    Perhaps something to do with properties and businesses. Without Philippine citizenship you can't own either. I could be wrong

Respected Member
    Oh, about the photos, I always done mine in Max Spielman in a white background. Last year on applying for my passport I use the grey background and they rejected it. Sometimes they do stick with their rules.

And another info. Do not forget a prepaid special delivery envelope for the return of your passport if you live outside London.

I forget it last time and it took me an hour to sort it out at the post office in London.

Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    Perhaps something to do with properties and businesses. Without Philippine citizenship you can't own either. I could be wrong
    Yup...Mari posted it 2 weeks ago in this thread, on post #26.

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....itish-Filipino
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Banned
    Thank you

Former natural-born Filipino citizens who have lost their Philippine citizenship can still own property in the Philippines, subject to limitations prescribed by Philippine Republic Act 8179

Natural-born Filipino citizens who now have Dual Citizenship status can own as much land just like any regular Filipino citizen- without any restrictions. The Dual Citizenship Law of the Philippines states that any Filipino citizen who has become a naturalized citizen of any foreign country does not lose his Filipino citizenship and therefore has all the rights pertaining to land ownership in the country.

Section 10 of Republic Act No. 8179

....Other Rights of natural Born Citizen Pursuant to the Provisions of Article XII, Section 8 of the Constitution. - Any natural born citizen who has lost his Philippine citizenship and who has the legal capacity to enter into a contract under Philippine Laws may be a transferee of a private land up to maximum area of five thousand (5,000) square meters in the case of urban land or three (3) hectares in the case of rural land to be used by him for business or other purposes. In the case of married couples, one of them may avail of the privilege herein granted: Provided, That If both shall avail of the same, the total are acquired shall not exceed the maximum herein fixed.

In case the transferee already owns urban or rural land for business or other purposes, he shall be entitled to be a transferee of additional urban or rural land for business or other purposes which when added to those already owned by him shall not exceed the maximum areas herein authorized.

A transferee under this Act may acquire not more than two (2) lots which should be situated in different municipalities or cities anywhere in the Philippines: Provided, That the Total land area thereof shall not exceed five thousand (5,000) square meters in the case of urban land or three(3) hectares in the case of rural land for use by him for business or other purposes. A transferee who has already acquired urban land shall be disqualified form acquiring rural land and vice versa.

Respected Member
    That is right Terpe.

As far as I know - correct me if I am wrong - natural born Filipino citizens who are now dual citizens only lose the right to run and be elected for local and national government.

If they decided to do so they have to withdraw their foreign citizenship.

Quote Originally Posted by jhen1230 View Post
    Hi lordna
    I have been to the PI last year after I re acquire my Phil. Citizenship. I do have a Phil epassport as well as my 2 British daughters.

It will save you a lot of time effort and money if you re acquire and apply for a passport at the same time.

If in the future you decided to stay longer than 1 year in the PI as far as i know it is better to enter in a Phil passport.

If you don't get a passport now in the future if you apply for one they do charge 18 pounds for late renewals - info that they don't tell you as my friend did the same thing.

Going to the Embassy in London will take a lot of your time effort and money....why not do it all at the same time? There is no harm in doing so.
    Yes, that's correct......entering Philippines under a British Passport only provides 1 year BB visa free stay.
    Also be aware that being a holder of dual Filipino/British citizenship and entering under a British Passport means that as far as the British Embassy Manila is concerned The Master Nationality Rule applies.

In principle means the British Embassy sees those as Filipino and cannot intervene on that person's behalf.

Respected Member
    Sorry I forget to put Philippine government.

Just a question about dual citizenship. I was asked by a friend regarding having both British and Philippine passport and I don't really know the answer. Which passport should he/she use upon entering Philippines? Should he/she present both or just one whichever he/she prefers?
    -=rayna.keith=-

Quote Originally Posted by lordna View Post
    Goodness me your right!...the standard photo's from a booth for passports are the right size, so i will use that. What threw me is the reacquisition form shows 2 boxes for photos (with the dimensions marked in them 4.5 times 3.5) but the boxes are actually square (4.5 x 4.5).

I forgot all about biometrics so obviously they already have the passport photos presumably. However, one does wonder, having read others comments, what the point is in actually getting a Philippines passport if you don't need it to enter the country!

Thanks everyone for your responses.
    My family and myself doesn't plan to stay in the PH for more than a year that's why we didn't apply for a new E-passport (its quite expensive for a separate fee of £43 each) and also it expires every 5years unlike the British passport which expires 10years.
    I think our Dual citizenship certificate and British passport will suffice upon entering the PH and we will just use the British passport goin out the PH airport.

p.s.

-download/print and fill in the forms before you go to the Philippine Embassy to avoid delays.

http://philembassy-uk.org/wp-content...tion-forms.pdf

-Make sure you got cash in hand with you as they don't accept payments by cards and cheque

- the consul general explains everything during the oath taking ceremony about the privileges of dual citizenship

Also, take note of the ''Embassy closures April 2014''
    http://philembassy-uk.org/embassy-closures-april-2014-3

The public is advised that, in accordance with Presidential Proclamation No. 655, s. 2013 dated 25 September 2013, the Philippine Embassy will be closed on the following dates:

Wednesday, April 9 – (Araw ng Kagitingan/PHL Holiday)

Thursday, April 17- (Maundy Thursday, PHL Holiday)

Friday, April 18- (Good Friday, PHL/UK Holiday)

Monday, 21 April – (Easter Monday, UK Holiday)

Regular office hours will resume on Thursday, 10 April and Tuesday, 22 April, respectively.

good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by jhen1230 View Post
    Oh, about the photos, I always done mine in max spielman
    You are posh

I only used the cheapest one I can afford the ordinary photo booth in Asda ...

I didn't even use the same 5 pictures as the photo booth only come out in four and I dont want to spend £5 for it ..so one picture is different from the 4 pictures which they accepted as its got the same face in it just different shirt I am wearing

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    Just a question about dual citizenship. I was asked by a friend regarding having both British and Philippine passport and I don't really know the answer. Which passport should he/she use upon entering Philippines? Should he/she present both or just one whichever he/she prefers?
    For those with Dual Citizenship and both passports the recognised protocol is to enter your home country with your home passport.
    Entering the Philippines with British Passport means showing your Naturalisation Certificate and receiving only a BB stamp for 1 year.
    The other complication is that the British Embassy will treat you as a Filipino Citizen. So no help there if ever needed.

Likewise entering the UK with your British passport avoids complications and possible delays.

In practice though it really doesn't matter for a short holiday visit to the Paradise Islands

Anybody know if my step daughter (aged 8) will have to be present and attend the oath taking ceremony at the Embassy when they apply for reacquisition of Philippine Citizenship? We were planning on going while she is at school. Can't find anything on the website about that.

Well, we visited the Phil Embassy today to get the Dual Citizenship and new passports sorted out.

That was after a day of filling out forms and checking we had all the right paperwork and photocopies of the relevant documents.

Got there about 11am, a short walk from Embankment tube station up past Charing Cross station, the Embassy was easy to find just the other side of Trafalgar square.

You go into a waiting room and get a numbered ticket, sit down and wait for your number to be called. You then go up to the desk where they process and check your papers and give you a raffle ticket number. We must have been too late for the 12 noon session and so had a bite to eat and returned for 3pm. My wife and step daughter were both called up for biometrics to be done (so yes my step daughter DID need to attend).
    Myself and the little one amused ourselves (and possibly annoyed others) by playing I-spy to kill time.

Eventually they were called in for the oath taking and to receive certificates, lthough the little one was too young to take the oath.
    As we provided a self addressed special delivery pre paid envelope (available from the post office), passports will be sent on to us. I think we finished between 4 and 4:30pm.

Also submitted a Special Power of Attorney form which others might like to know will also be sent on to us in another self addressed special delivery pre paid envelope.

We just happened to have one spare as I had purchased two from the post office first thing before we left, thinking we would need one for each passport application.

However, common sense prevailed and both passports will arrive in the same envelope (wouldn't happen in the UK passport office I bet!).
    Finally got home about 6:30pm with two very happy Fil/brits with dual citizenship!

At last no more immigration paperwork!

Quote Originally Posted by lordna View Post
    .....Finally got home about 6:30pm with two very happy Fil/brits with dual citizenship!

At last no more immigration paperwork!
    Well done and congratulations on those latest members of the exclusive Dual Citizen club

Nice report lordna on the Embassy requirements and process .....thanks

Thread Information