Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Respected Member

Killer Flights! - Ultra Long Haul

I'm currently recovering from an absolute killer of a journey.

I am in the process of trying to change jobs, and needed to do a pre-employment medical in Melbourne. So without arousing the suspicions at work I booked myself flights to Melbourne, VIC and back over the course of two days, flying on Thursday morning, Arriving Friday 06:30, Medical at 09:00, Departing at 18:40 back via Perth and Dubai then arriving back home in the sandpit this morning completely and utterly exhausted and aching like heck.

The longest flight was Dubai-Melbourne on the A380 which at 7231 miles and 13hrs 25 minutes is quite a bit longer then London-Manila 6687 nautical miles.

All of this in Economy class (although get Emirates/Qantas lounge access by virtue of my Qantas Gold card). I have done some long and ridiculous journeys before, but I think this one is probably the worst and I now vow never to do anything as bad again.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=MCT-DXB-MEL-PER-DXB-MCT

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=LON-MNL-LON

One of the other ones I did a few year back, although it was in business class, but essentially flew home to Cebu and the phone rang as i walked in the door with flight details going back. (route shows a stop in ANC which didn't occur, just was the only way to get it to map properly, but essentially JFK-ICN at 6889 nautical miles).

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=MIA-JFK...IN-LHR-MIA-BGI

Also this one was a bit of a killer just because of the stopovers.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=MAN-LHR-MIA-SCL-PMC-PUQ

Respected Member
    Just to note that these flights also run about 3 hours shorter then some of the longest flights, some taking 16 hours+ . Couldn't imagine the hell of doing that in economy.

My first trip to phils was 19 hours of flying

Banned
    I don't do those horrendous 2 leg flights anymore. If it weren't for the latest PAL offering from out of Heathrow, I wouldn't be going back to the Philippines.

You have my sympathy Ricky

Trusted Member
    I'm sure we all sympathise Ricky. Hope you passed your medical without raised blood pressure, and you recover fully after a well-deserved rest .

Trusted Member
    If your plans come to fruition Ricky...all will have been worthwhile. Good luck.

I always wish there was some sort of knockout pill you could take for these boring long flights, so you'd just wake up at the end of your trip, as with a general anesthetic. I know some people use alcohol, but not for me thanks.

Wish I could sleep on these long haul flights.

I try and try but can't. See everyone around me. Sleeping like babies.

I've flown a few long haul flights in my life (Seychelles twice, Australia, Cuba) I don't find them boring at all. I just watch the TV or grab 40 winks on and off all the way during the flight. I actually don't mind them at all. Mind you I have never done a whole destination non stop, always have had a transfer which makes the world of difference as you can stretch your legs and get some fast food down you. Worst one was a 9 hour or more (can't remember now) stop over in Singapore years ago.... I plonked myself in front of a TV screen and watch TV for a bit, I also smoked then and sat out in the smokers area in 32 degree heat at 2am!

Trusted Member
    A lot has to do with how tall you are (in Economy).

My share of long haul flight was London to Riyadh (13 hours lay over) to Manila (3 hours) then Cebu which I have to go back to the UK 2 days after picking up my son... luckily its only 5 hours wait in Manila and 8 hours in Abu Dhabi.

I took some herbal sleeping aid with me to sleep on the plane.
    Life as we make it

longest i think is 13:41 h, 7,376 mi, Doha (International) - Săo Paulo (Guarulhos) saying that i stayed on the aircraft until the next stop...

Does LHr>MNL once... never again... too long

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chino View Post
    longest i think is 13:41 h, 7,376 mi, Doha (International) - Săo Paulo (Guarulhos) saying that i stayed on the aircraft until the next stop...

Does LHr>MNL once... never again... too long
    Manila to London is 15 30 flying time with Philippines airlines

It take so long because of their long routing

fastest way would be over china and russia

PAL goes over Thailand India and Pakistan then up through Turkey hence 15 30 hours

PAL have no agreement to fly over Russia thats why they go the long way round

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cheekee View Post
    Wish I could sleep on these long haul flights.

I try and try but can't. See everyone around me. Sleeping like babies.
    I'm like you Cheekee, never can sleep whilst flying, need my bed!

Came back from Peru a few years back and the day went something like this:-

1. 2hr speed boat to nearest town
    2. 1hr bus to local airport
    3. small plane to bigger town (Cusco I think)
    4. internal flight to Lima
    5. Lima to somewhere in the Caribbean
    6. Caribbean to Amsterdam
    7. Amsterdam to Heathrow

Not a journey I want to repeat in a hurry.

Respected Member
    Thanks for the replies; the interesting thing on this forum is that so many of the members have travelled a lot, it seems to be a common theme amongst people who marry Filipinas, perhaps we are the kind of people who just aren't easily satisified with the same old routine?

Travel can be exhausting at the best of times, but the wrong routings and timings can completely screw you up for days.

Trusted Member
    I certainly used to have variety when just going to work on the (then under construction) airport in Hong Kong.

Wake up at 5.30am....coffee.

Down to the street 16 floors below to catch the first underground train of the day at 6.10 am.

Ride the train for 30 mins.

Last stop on the line, get off and walk for 15 mins to the ferry terminal.

Board the 'work' ferry, along with around 300 Chinese, Pakistani and a few Europeans.

Ride the ferry for 1 hour 15 mins to the Lantau Island Chek Lap Kok airport site...biggest construction site in the world at that time.

Disembark, and find the beaten up old bus to take me and fellow workers to our particular contractor's 'yard'....(the construction site being around 6 square miles).

Go to my truck, and after doing all the pre-work checks on it, drive to my actual place of work for that day.

9 hours later...reverse of the above.

7 days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    I certainly used to have variety when just going to work on the (then under construction) airport in Hong Kong.

Wake up at 5.30am....coffee.

Down to the street 16 floors below to catch the first underground train of the day at 6.10 am.

Ride the train for 30 mins.

Last stop on the line, get off and walk for 15 mins to the ferry terminal.

Board the 'work' ferry, along with around 300 Chinese, Pakistani and a few Europeans.

Ride the ferry for 1 hour 15 mins to the Lantau Island Chek Lap Kok airport site...biggest construction site in the world at that time.

Disembark, and find the beaten up old bus to take me and fellow workers to our particular contractor's 'yard'....(the construction site being around 6 square miles).

Go to my truck, and after doing all the pre-work checks on it, drive to my actual place of work for that day.

9 hours later...reverse of the above.

7 days a week.
    Bimey I'm never moaning again about my work hours

Trusted Member
    Well, I needed to do that to save for visas and air tickets for my stepkids, ex-wife, and our own son.

A year on there, but that was the 'easiest' of my jobs in Hong Kong. The tunnelling one I did after that was really hard physical work. The final job I had was on a suspension bridge (laying a rail line bed). That wasn't too bad, as I had a nice little apartment on Lantau by then...so just an hour or so each way, chugging along on a little motorised 'Junk' that a few workmates and I had on charter.

My longest actual flying time was 24 hours from Brize Norton in UK to Hong Kong in the early 1970s on a Royal Air Force VC10. This excludes the time spent on three re-fuelling stops in Cyprus, Mazerah and Gan in Maldives. It was also without TV or radio and we had to amuse ourselves with reading, playing cards, drawing, writing, chatting, etc. What a breeze it is now to fly 12.30 hours direct to Hong Kong non stop from UK with an electronic entertainment centre!

The longest distance I’ve flown is UK to Philippines on numerous occasions. I am very well travelled and no longer enjoy long haul flights but it’s a means to an end and I so enjoy going to different countries and experiencing different cultures.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie1958 View Post
    My longest actual flying time was 24 hours from Brize Norton in UK to Hong Kong in the early 1970s on a Royal Air Force VC10. This excludes the time spent on three re-fuelling stops in Cyprus, Mazerah and Gan in Maldives. It was also without TV or radio and we had to amuse ourselves with reading, playing cards, drawing, writing, chatting, etc. What a breeze it is now to fly 12.30 hours direct to Hong Kong non stop from UK with an electronic entertainment centre!

The longest distance I’ve flown is UK to Philippines on numerous occasions. I am very well travelled and no longer enjoy long haul flights but it’s a means to an end and I so enjoy going to different countries and experiencing different cultures.
    That Marerah stop is that ex RAF base Masirah in Oman?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
    That Marerah stop is that ex RAF base Masirah in Oman?
    Hi Ricky, yes it was RAF Masirah in the Oman ......... do you know it? I always remember it as being stiflingly hot, there were only about 6 streets on the island and when we landed there was a water shortage. I felt very ungrateful when offered water as I couldn't bring myself to drink it ....... there were little red worms swimming in it

Trusted Member
    My longest flight timewise was the one I made with my mum and siblings from Heathrow (think 'shed in field' ) to Singapore in 1955.

3 days, including 2 overnight stops and 7 for re-fuelling. Nope, it wasn't a jet.

Banned
    You take the lead so far Graham I imagine it was a nightmare for your mother

Respected Member
    Hi Ricky, yes it was RAF Masirah in the Oman ......... do you know it? I always remember it as being stiflingly hot, there were only about 6 streets on the island and when we landed there was a water shortage. I felt very ungrateful when offered water as I couldn't bring myself to drink it ....... there were little red worms swimming in it
    Yes it's pretty much the same, but known as RAFO Masirah now. We go camping there occasionally, because it's so remote and quiet.

Respected Member
    My longest flight timewise was the one I made with my mum and siblings from Heathrow (think 'shed in field' ) to Singapore in 1955.

3 days, including 2 overnight stops and 7 for re-fuelling. Nope, it wasn't a jet.
    I think that does win the award for longest flight!

Trusted Member
    This is the plane we flew on. ...a 'Hermes'.

I remember the journey very well.

I remember my very first flight aged about 4 ........... it was 1963 and we flew from UK to Cyprus in a Britannia. The flight was more than 6 hours then, I think it's around 4 hours now in a jet. I was sick so much during that flight I will never forget it, even the Barley Sugar sweets handed out by the cabin crew for take off and landing didn't help!

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    I remember my very first flight aged about 4 ........... it was 1963 and we flew from UK to Cyprus in a Britannia. The flight was more than 6 hours then, I think it's around 4 hours now in a jet. I was sick so much during that flight I will never forget it, even the Barley Sugar sweets handed out by the cabin crew for take off and landing didn't help!
    Wow Rosie, how young you were, I was 47 before my first flight!

Trusted Member
    I was 4 years old on that first flight too Rosie.

My sister actually celebrated her 3rd birthday on the flight. Our brother was 5 years old.

Mother had her hands full, as can be imagined.

Down from the penthouse on the 16th floor. Cost you 1,800 dollars a month Thankfully that was Hong Kong dollars.

Sounds like your job was part time! Used to leave my place at 5.15am and get home at 9.10pm if i didn't go to the pub on the way home Even though i sometimes worked 84 hour weeks i never saved a penny till i met my wife

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information