Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Newbie (Restricted Access)

Updating details to the UK Border Agency

Hi guys, have a couple of questions I hope you can help with. Gosh, says last time I logged on here was last May, but I do read from time to time.

My wife is on a spouse visa. We got married last November 2nd and we are under the old rules, and as usual its been so hectic with work and wife becoming pregnant again. Now have a little 6 week old boy, and of course Lucitta (who was also born here) got the fiancee visa just in time for his birth.

I have read that I should have updated her details within 3 months (so that date has passed grrrr) I don't know what forms to fill in, as also we have recently changed address.

Along with this hectic life haha, she has yet to do the Life in the Uk Test and i think another English test. The next visa stage, I think, is around December.

I run my own business and now just finally catching up with everything. What with the move and stress, I am a stress head as they say, now after reading about deadlines for name changes, oh my days. lol.

Anyone shed some light on my question? I did print of some forms but goes on about Tiers 1 2 3 4 5. Didn't even know my wife is on one of them tiers. As for another English Test, what a joke that is!

Won't get on my soap box hahahaha. and lastly think my wife (who is 26) would like to have a friend from the Philippines who is maybe local to us. We are in the Littlehampton area on the South Coast.

Thanks in advance. Hope you are all keeping well.

Under 'old rules' your wife becomes eligible for ILR after 24 months living in UK as Spouse (this does not include any time in UK under Fiancee Visa)
    The earliest she can submit her ILR application is 28 days before reaching the end of her specific 24 month qualifying period.

In order to apply for ILR she will also need to have a pass certificate for Life In UK test and provide certification that she has achieved a level B1 pass for English language.
    If she did not achieve B1 when she first applied for UK visa then she'll need to take another test.

If she's just not ready to apply for ILR then she'll need to apply for another period of FLR(M)
    Once granted, she is free to apply for ILR at any time. No need to wait for any specific time.

You'll need to gather together letters/documents that demonstrate you have been living together at the same address/addresses (and still do) throughout the 2 years probationary period.
    If you take a look at the ILR application form the UKVI do provide some of the most common examples.

I'm sure you already know the above..... I included just to reset the basics.

On the questions of updating of details (address, name etc) you need to review and follow the appropriate links on the UKVI webpage here called Report a change of circumstances if you have a visa or BRP

Does your wife have BRP?
    If yes, the BRP details must match those on the Passport. Important
    Name changes do involve applying for a new BRP (takes quite some significant processing time too)

There's really no problems using the married name for just about everything in UK but at the same time still keeping the existing passport and visa (BRP) in the maiden name.
    (theoretically there's potentially a penalty for not applying to change the name on the BRP within 3 months of changing it on the passport of £1,000. There's also mention of shortening or cancellation of the visa........Personally I've never heard of such severe action being taken......but always try to minimise risk with such life impacting decisions and prioritisation)

For change of address etc (or other minor stuff that does not actually appear on the BRP) my personal choice would be to simply write to UKVI and inform them, rather than submitting a form that is obviously not designed for those folks not under a PBS Tier X Visa.

UK Visas and Immigration
    Change of Address Team
    11th Floor Lunar House
    40 Wellesley Road
    Croydon
    CR9 2BY

(NB: You may or may not receive any acknowledgement)

Alternatively to satisy yourself you could telephone for advise to:-
    Tel: 0870 606 7766 (Monday to Thursday 9am to 4:45pm and Friday 9am to 4.30pm)

There's no need to apply for new BRP for simple address changes.

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    Hi Terpe, thanks for the reply.

Yes, some i did know about the reappplying for the flm which we might do,i know its all money for this, but it relieves the pressure we bring on ourselves, and just do the FLR(M) after, see how things go on that one.

Yes, I have read about the fine for late changing the name, time goes so fast these days,wife just seems so laid back about everything haha, but were on the case now. after reading the change name details it looks like she has to go and do her biometrics again if i have read that right, so will just print of the forms and fill in and send them off and hope they feeling kind and not issue a fine,yes she does have a biometric card. we're no good at forms haha, like I said and you said about the tier on the change of address form, it's confusing and doesn't seem to look like we fill that one in so will call them and also write to them with the address change and in that letter just write her biometric numbers and her name thats on it maybe mention that in process of changing name and include the married name, but for peace of mind call them first.

Many thanks again Terpe you've helped me before and it's much appreciated. sorry for the grammar or lack of it haha

Thread Information