Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb 20 online dating cliches - and what they really mean

January is a boom month for the online dating industry as millions turn to the internet to find love. But composing a profile that makes you sound fascinating and unique is harder than it sounds.

Post-Christmas to the Wednesday after Valentine's Day is the peak season for dating websites, according to Plenty of Fish's Sarah Gooding.

Source:-
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25410883

Banned
    dont that take all the fun out of dating--?

Sounds like online dating is becoming too much of a chore nowadays.

Trusted Member
    I just write the truth, and I wish other people would do also.

What is the point of falling for a load of sales and marketing rubbish that some clever-bugger dating adviser has written for someone ?

Respected Member
    Demand to see them in webcam and then you can see how different they look from their posted pics

Photoshop was invented for dating sites

Nothing wrong with using dating sites! I mean, so many of us are busy WORKING, exactly where are we supposed to meet others?

They can be a great place to meet genuine friendships, but of course they're also full of eejits and men just looking for a screw (usually behind their WIVES' backs )

The thing which made me squirm though when I was on POF, was the phrase "I'm just as happy curled up on the sofa with a dvd" - this to me meant "I want to hedge my bets in case you don't like going out"

This along with the phrase "I like a laugh" or "I'm looking for a laugh". No, I'm not a comedian, go buy a Peter Kay dvd.

There's a new trend in that 'Speed Dating' now...............couples are not allowed to say anything.
    Only gestures, dance, mime etc..............looked like great fun to me.............I would believe it to be a better way to gain an impression of someone than by listening to the same old spiel

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieXXXmaria View Post
    Sounds like online dating is becoming too much of a chore nowadays.
    It's awful Jamie..in fact it's worse that awful. I signed up to one at Christmas only coz the wife was being a bitch again :-( Anyway, like Graham, I just write the truth and nothing but the truth with some nice pictures

No point in saying different you are only kidding yourself and a prospective partner not to mention the time and money

i cant see the point of trying to gloss up the obvious....It is what it is, that's it

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by London_Manila View Post
    Demand to see them in webcam and then you can see how different they look from their posted pics

Photoshop was invented for dating sites
    No cam, no chat..that's the rule..

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iani View Post
    Nothing wrong with using dating sites! I mean, so many of us are busy WORKING, exactly where are we supposed to meet others?

They can be a great place to meet genuine friendships, but of course they're also full of eejots and men just looking for a screw (usually behind their WIVES backs )

The thing which made me squirm though when I was on POF, was the phrase "I'm just as happy curled up on the sofa with a dvd" - this to me meant "I want to hedge my bets in case you don't like going out"
    This along with the phrase "I like a laugh" or "I'm looking for a laugh". No, I'm not a comedian, go buy a Peter Kay dvd.
    Haha....since when was WORKING for a living something new ?

Didn't stop anyone from having a social life...just that people have become accustomed to having everything at their fingertips now, and no need to get off their fat Rs and meet REAL people....like even their NEIGHBOURS .

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    It's awful Jamie..in fact it's worse that awful. I signed up to one at Christmas only coz the wife was being a bitch again :-( Anyway, like Graham, I just write the truth and nothing but the truth with some nice pictures

No point in saying different you are only kidding yourself and a prospective partner not to mention the time and money

i cant see the point of trying to gloss up the obvious....It is what it is, that's it
    The bottom line is

Men want sex and maybe a relationship if she ok and not too demanding

Woman want someone who is preferably rich has a good job and owns their own property = security and comfort

I signed up to one at Christmas only coz the wife was being a bitch again ... I just write the truth ...
    Ah, then ... did you simply insert, "my wife doesn't understand me", as your chat~up line?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Ah, then ... did you simply insert, "my wife doesn't understand me", as your chat~up line?
    No chat up lines Arthur Why would I put 'the wife doesn't understand me' when she left me June 24
    She made a scene, making them both cry during change over on Christmas day.

Just picture this, we had a great Christmas morning then I had to put them into a car and drive 45 minutes down the motorway to a deserted car park to be met 15 minutes with her turning up in a taxi..she gets out the car pulling the boys from it, putting them in another car with a stranger driving it..its bound to upset them...it sure upset me..I was being screamed at because I protested about her demand I pay for the taxi....she said she wanted help to pay the taxi, not me pay the whole fare...anyway, I paid it to stop the fuss...she was still screaming all the Fs and Cs at me while my boys going mad ....there was me left bawling my eyes out in this empty car park...Goodness knows what the taxi driver made of it all... She's still pulling the strings and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

This is why I'm on a sunny beach this moment in time and I'm still sad because I miss my boys!! There's no escape!!!!! Not even a lottery win would made a difference.

At least I'm genuine. Many divorced separated and married women doing the same thing, trying to find a better life, just like me

LM said the guys want sex..well, don't we all, men and women alike I'm at an age where sex isn't at the top of my list. True love and the security that comes with it, is.

there are only two ways going on dating site "to find or to be found". for me too much profile info is a turn off. It is like selling yourself to public, desperate and lack of mystery

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by malditako View Post
    there are only two ways going on dating site "to find or to be found". for me too much profile info is a turn off. It is like selling yourself to public, desperate and lack of mystery
    I disagree..The idea of putting out a comprehensive profile is to make sure the right choices are made. Leave the mystery to the love stories..this is serious real life we are playing with.

Desperate ..you could be right but, like you implied in other thread few moments ago, desperate times call for desperate measures....I'm in no rush to find another because I know my next will be my last. You'll find it's your filipina sisters who are in the mad rush to get out of Dodge City, not me in my relatively comfortable life

As for ''too much profile info is a turn off'' It's not what my spam box is telling me

Trusted Member
    Since the looks went to , I've had to work on developing a personality...sufficient to make up for being poverty-stricken.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Since the looks went to , I've had to work on developing a personality...sufficient to make up for being poverty-stricken.
    You're doing a good job Graham

Such is the paradox of choice....With so much of it, it has been proven that the stress caused by this mind-boggling variety is so large that the male brain reduces the decision to one single criterion, physical attractiveness. Just like LM stated. The consequences of this selection process is one I'm only too well aware of.

Finally, large selection leads to discontent. How can you be sure you are making the right choice when there are hundreds of options that surround and confound you???
    The answer, you can never be sure.
    So, what Ive done is this, thought carefully about what i want, wrote down the criteria and stuck to it rigidly. I know I must learn to love a 'good' choice. Yes, I know, even in terms of life partners. Only the best will do? In this age of unlimited variety, rather the opposite is true 'good enough' is the new optimum

Trusted Member
    Nowdays I'm all mouth and no trousers...as we say up here.

The style, looks, and relaxed ease of a well-travelled and cultured lothario...but the wallet of a pauper and the brain of a turkey.

Banned
    You make me laugh Graham..talking of which, it's time to dress for dinner Laters folks

Quote Originally Posted by malditako View Post
    for me too much profile info is a turn off. It is like selling yourself to public, desperate and lack of mystery
    Totally agree!

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    One of the favourite lines in the 70's was, "wouldn't it be amazing if you and I could arrive together" Yuk!!!

Trusted Member
    Aww come on Michael, you know you used that line all the time.

One of mine was "I buy a lady a drink to say thankyou, not please".

Another: " What would you like for breakfast ?"

Makes me cringe now.

My favourite chat up line was "You're ugly, but you'll do"

Well ok, maybe it wasn't really, but there was a nightclub in town, so dodgy it would probably work in there.

I don't think cheesy chat up lines give off a good impression to women. Nowadays anyhow.

You'd be better off chatting about referendums, Diane Abbott and that illegal immigrant working down the local Balti House.

Trusted Member
    "Tha dunt sweat much fer a fat lass".

Oh, cum, cum, you guys ... take a shufty:-

There once was a bloke called Hewitt,
    Boasted how quick' ... ... he could
    But then came the catch
    When he met his match
    Whereupon - he finally "blew it"!

Banned
    To whoever gave me rep here yesterday. ..you have my heartfelt thanks. ...I only wish you write your username at the end of your comment. ...I can then give you rep back.

Kind regards
    Mark

To whoever gave me rep here yesterday. ..you have my heartfelt thanks. ...I only wish you write your username at the end of your comment. ...I can then give you rep back.

Kind regards
    Mark
    ... guilty, m'lud!

Trusted Member
    Me too.

Banned
    I guessed one was Graham Cheers Arthur

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information