Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: Life in uk test

Unhappy Life in uk test

Hi, I have not been active on this forum for a very long time. I am writing this thread so that those who are going to apply for the Life in UK test in the future will not commit the same mistake I did.

I have not taken the exam yet-more like I WAS NOT able to. I was supposed to take it today. I turned up at the exam center 30 mins. early just what it stated on their letter only to find out that I am not ALLOWED to take it because upon registering nearly a month ago, I put my FULL NAME on the application form (as I always do in every form I fill in). Meaning I included my MIDDLE NAME (as most Filipina do, I assume?) and this middle name is not on my Biometric I.D. or my Provisional Driving license I.D. The man who was checking the register encircled my Middlename, put an asterisk beside my name and said, I won't be able to take the test, I need to book another one and pay for it again, and I won't get a refund.

Is it my fault? Yes, but perhaps the whole website layout could've been made so applicants would pay special attention to that part. I have booked a holiday just so I can revise for the exam and have specially prepared for it only for this to happen.

My advice to future applicants, MAKE SURE THAT THE NAME ON THE I.D. THAT YOU WILL TAKE ON THE EXAM CENTRE IS THE SAME NAME YOU USED TO REGISTER. NO SPELLING MISTAKES. SPECIALLY IF YOU ARE USED TO WRITING YOUR MIDDLE NAME, MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE IT ON YOUR BIOMETRIC I.D. or whatever I.D. you opted to choose BEFORE FILLING UP FORMS. It has proven to be a costly mistake on my part.

God Bless everyone!

Respected Member
    Good Advice. Very sorry for what's happened to you.

Thank you. I am really upset about it. I am normally very careful about filling out forms and I could not understand why I commit that mistake or how I managed to overlook it. When I booked and paid for another examination date again today using the same account, the website did not even bother asking me if I want to change any details! I panicked since the payment has gone through already. I went on my account page and quickly removed my Middle name. I printed out the page as well so that I have proof that I have amended the errors. The thing is that, I can't help but feel scammed. So everyone, be careful when booking and re-booking tests! The Life in UK test booking page does not also ask you if the details you have entered are right. I guess that's where the money is made. It's really frustrating.

Here's what's stated on the UKBA website on this link -Book your test - What you need

To book your test, you will need the following:-

A valid photo ID to check your identity

One of these documents, which has a photo that is a true likeness of you:

A Biometric Residence Permit, this is a residence permit which holds your biometric information; facial image and fingerprints (must be in date)
    A passport from country of origin (may be out of date)
    A UK photo card driving licence (must be in date)
    A European Union Identity Card (must be in date)
    An Approved Travel Document A Home Office UK travel document: a Convention Travel Document (CTD), a Certificate of Identity Document (CID) or a Stateless Person Document (SPD) (must be in date)
    An Immigration Status Document, endorsed with a UK Residence Permit with a photo of the holder (may be out of date)

To book your test you must have one of these documents to prove your identity. If you don't have any of these documents, please contact the Home Office.

Please note the name you provide in your test booking must be an exact match to the name contained on the ID you present at the test centre. If your ID includes a middle name, you must include this in the Middle name field or your test will be rejected and you will not receive a refund.
    Notice the final paragraph which I have highlighted in bold

Thanks Terpe, as soon as I got home I reread the website and lo and behold that paragraph was indeed there. The only thing is that they don't ask you again if the details you have entered is right. I know it is my fault for overlooking that and I don't know how I've done it in the first place. :( I just booked my B1 language test as well and found their lay-out more helpful than the life in UK one. Only because they ask you I think about 3 times if you have entered the right details before finally proceeding. Also as I have mentioned, when I re-booked the test, there was no page about editing your details. It just went, chose the date of the exam-pay-booked. That meant it was booked automatically with the same WRONG details as before! I have corrected it after that but still not sure if it was booked properly. I am considering on ringing them tomorrow for my peace of mind Thanks!

Aww ... to read what happened !

Pity you're expected to pay for the *Test again, though.

Anyway ... ... all the best with *it.

Thank you Arthur! fingers crossed, I've done it right the second time around. I will keep everyone posted whether I pass or fail and any tips I can give to future test takers I will post here. I'm scheduled to take it on the 8th of February.

Hello chiechie,
    Sorry about what happened, but I wish you good luck to your test. And thank you for sharing your story to keep us aware. I am still reviewing my Life in the UK Test book- my plan is to take it by March, as I am due to apply for my ILR this June
    Good luck again.
    Han

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by han View Post
    Hello chiechie,
    Sorry about what happened, but I wish you good luck to your test. And thank you for sharing your story to keep us aware. I am still reviewing my Life in the UK Test book- my plan is to take it by March, as I am due to apply for my ILR this June
    Good luck again.
    Han
    Maritess doing her ILR in May Han!

oh Good Luck to us Michael My spouse visa will be valid until 03/07/14 so I take it as I have to apply June. Hope I'm right.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    oh Good Luck to us Michael My spouse visa will be valid until 03/07/14 so I take it as I have to apply June. Hope I'm right.
    Maritess Visa is valid until 17/08/14 and she arrived here 6/6/12 so she can apply for her ILR from 8th of May this year. By the way, good luck with your Life in UK test!

It works like this han.....you may apply for ILR at any time during the eligibility period.
    Under 'old rules' this eligibility period runs from 28 days before the end of your 24 month qualifying period living in UK as a spouse, until the expiry date on your visa.

Hello Han thank you! I am due to apply for my ILR this June as well! have you taken the B1 language requirement already? fingers crossed that I will be able to take the Life in UK without any problems this coming Feb. 8. Good luck to you too! God bless you!

Hi everyone! It's me again! I just had just taken the exam this afternoon and thank God I passed! I don't know if other people have the same experience as mine but out of 100% I studied from the 3 2013 Life In UK official books, I'd say there was just about 1% of the questions taken from there! Either that or I totally missed the questions I didn't know! As the questions were randomly generated, I think it is more a matter of luck what set you get. They were designed to confuse the life out of you and I think to make you fail! There are some give away ones where you'd only need common sense but the others were just-I don't know where they came from! The practice Tests in the books and those found online where more straight forward questions which is not what the actual test is! After the exam I thought I wasted money on those books I bought! But never mind, it did help with about 5 questions on the test to I think in way it was worth it. I hope that the others who would take it soon would pass as well! God bless everyone and Goodluck to us all!

Thread Information