Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: Hi everyone

Newbie (Restricted Access) Victorken's Avatar

Hi everyone

I'm Chris, 38, originally from Belgium but have been living in the UK just about 9 years now.

8 months ago I met a Filipina girl on a dating site and we've been talking pretty much everyday since, after a lot of doubts I decided to head over to the Philippines to meet in person and spend some time getting to know each other better. 2 weeks and I'm head over heels and we decided to start a relation despite the distance between us.

I came back from that holiday last week and was browsing around for info on how to obtain a visa for her when I stumbled upon this site today, I'm considering this a good omen

as it's early days and given the challenge in obtaining a partner visa we are holding off on that but we agreed that a return visit would be the next step for 2 reasons.. it would allow us to spend some time together again and it would allow her the chance to experience the UK to see if she could adjust to living here (and have a taste of our ehm tropical? climate)

I've seen there's loads of great info available here and I think hearing advice from couples who went through the same ordeal will make sure we take the right steps to give us better odds in getting first a tourist visa granted and decide the next steps after that.

so with that I'd like to say nice to meet you all

Banned
    Welcome to the forum Chris and good luck with your mission

Welcome aboard, you are further down the line that me, but at least i'm no longer the new boy on here

Quote Originally Posted by Victorken View Post
    I'm Chris, 38, originally from Belgium but have been living in the UK just about 9 years now.

8 months ago I met a Filipina girl on a dating site and we've been talking pretty much everyday since, after a lot of doubts I decided to head over to the Philippines to meet in person and spend some time getting to know each other better. 2 weeks and I'm head over heels and we decided to start a relation despite the distance between us.

I came back from that holiday last week and was browsing around for info on how to obtain a visa for her when I stumbled upon this site today, I'm considering this a good omen

as it's early days and given the challenge in obtaining a partner visa we are holding off on that but we agreed that a return visit would be the next step for 2 reasons.. it would allow us to spend some time together again and it would allow her the chance to experience the UK to see if she could adjust to living here (and have a taste of our ehm tropical? climate)

I've seen there's loads of great info available here and I think hearing advice from couples who went through the same ordeal will make sure we take the right steps to give us better odds in getting first a tourist visa granted and decide the next steps after that.

so with that I'd like to say nice to meet you all
    Hello Chris, a warm welcome aboard Filipino UK

Nice introduction. Glad you found us here.....yes a good omen for sure.

Just stay around and don't be shy to make postings on any subject this is a friendly forum despite some differences of opinion that get expressed on political issues
    It's all friendly banter without personal malice.

As you are an EU citizen living here in UK and exercising Treaty Rights the immigration route to UK for a spouse is quick, easy and basically free. No need to meet financial requirements and no need for English Language tests.

Unfortunately UK citizens have a hugely complex and expensive challenge to overcome with many twists and turns along the way.

Take a read of this publication called Freedom to move and live in Europe and feel free to ask any questions.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    Welcome to the forum Chris and good luck with your mission

Thanks Dedworth!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikester View Post
    Welcome aboard, you are further down the line that me, but at least i'm no longer the new boy on here
    hehe yea being the newbie is awkward but I happy to have this community nonetheless

I'm happy to have found this community*

bad typing lol must be because it's so damn early still

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Hello Chris, a warm welcome aboard Filipino UK

Nice introduction. Glad you found us here.....yes a good omen for sure.

Just stay around and don't be shy to make postings on any subject this is a friendly forum despite some differences of opinion that get expressed on political issues
    It's all friendly banter without personal malice.

As you are an EU citizen living here in UK and exercising Treaty Rights the immigration route to UK for a spouse is quick, easy and basically free. No need to meet financial requirements and no need for English Language tests.

Unfortunately UK citizens have a hugely complex and expensive challenge to overcome with many twists and turns along the way.

Take a read of this publication called Freedom to move and live in Europe and feel free to ask any questions.

Good luck
    Thanks for the welcome Terpe!!

I thought the procedure might be more complicated since I'm not a UK national?

Since at the moment we're just planning ti apply for a tourist visa, and after that probably an unmarried partner (or fiancée visa maybe if all goes well ) will it still be more straightforward?
    She won't have a visa for Belgium as I haven't lived there for so long and planning to go back we won't be able to get her a Belgian residency and I assumed the rules on UKBA applied...

I'll have a read through the link you shared... thanks for that!

Chris, welcome.

If you both decide to make Beckenham your future home, she'll hopefully find it easy to adjust.
    There's at least 12-14 Filipinas living in/around the area.
    No man is an island, but Barry is

Its very hard not to fall in love when you go to the Philippines.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Hi Chris, a very warm welcome and look forward to reading your posts on this forum, good luck with your quest!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdjones View Post
    Chris, welcome.

If you both decide to make Beckenham your future home, she'll hopefully find it easy to adjust.
    There's at least 12-14 Filipinas living in/around the area.
    Thanks Bluebirdjones! I've been in Beckenham for the last 5 years and not planning on moving anywhere else anytime soon, it's a lovely place

I wasn't aware there were so many Filipinas in the area and I'm sure Dian will be excited to hear that!

Maybe when we she's here for a visit the ehm locals could meet for a drink and a chat? would be nice to get acquainted and share experiences and 'best practices'? and I think it would be beneficial for her to hear something from Filipinas about how they feel about living here and advise on adjusting...

Hi Andy, nice to meet you!

I never thought I would fall in love with a girl half a world away but there you go... I have to admit we got along great before I made it over but I hear you, there's something about that country and it's people for sure

Thanks for the welcome Michael, and good to meet you!

Hi Terpe, reading through the link you shared now and it has some great information... I've been looking around for 2 weeks online and never came across this info which surprises me given the depths of the net I've trailed through

I'll move the discussion on how to obtain visa/residency over to the proper part of the forum shortly for the sake of having every discussion in it's proper place but can't thank you enough for your assistance so far

Thanks Bluebirdjones! I've been in Beckenham for the last 5 years and not planning on moving anywhere else anytime soon, it's a lovely place

I wasn't aware there were so many Filipinas in the area and I'm sure Dian will be excited to hear that!

Maybe when we she's here for a visit the ehm locals could meet for a drink and a chat? would be nice to get acquainted and share experiences and 'best practices'? and I think it would be beneficial for her to hear something from Filipinas about how they feel about living here and advise on adjusting...
    Happy to help if/when she gets here.
    Nearer the time private message me, and we'll get something sorted.
    No man is an island, but Barry is

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdjones View Post
    Happy to help if/when she gets here.
    Nearer the time private message me, and we'll get something sorted.
    Will do, and thanks so much

...I'll move the discussion on how to obtain visa/residency over to the proper part of the forum shortly for the sake of having every discussion in it's proper place but can't thank you enough for your assistance so far
    Good idea. Thanks.
    We have a fantastic resource here that'll beat anywhere else.

Glad to have you be part of that.

Welcome to the forum, Chris!

Thread Information