Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

External wall insulation

So does anyone have this and does anyone know the price too, it says the government will pay £650 towards it but i cant find what the cost may be , the saving could be good but like anything it may take you 10 or more years to pay for it before you get any returns in the costing,
    Come on Graham this is your area

Trusted Member
    Almost everything you need to know is on this site Steve:

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/...n/Find-a-grant

There are different (subsidised) schemes in different parts of the country, so as always, contact SEVERAL different installers, the details of whom can accessed from the above site.

I leave you to use your own judgment as to whether it will be financially worthwhile for you Steve, but bear in mind that external insulation will physically alter the appearance of your house, as you're adding around 4" or more to the external wall dimensions. On a semi or terrace, this will mean that the walls will be 'proud' of your neighbour's, so ideally, best installed together.

The work will probably take about a week.

I wondered Steve if you really meant 'external' insulation or if you meant cavity wall insulation ??

personaly i wouldnt go for external wall insulation, at 4 inch thick its going to look terrible, like cladding, your windows and doors will be 4inch deeper to the house, the house will stick out like a sore thumb against all the other houses to either side of it,not attractive to buy in my opinion, unless your house is a concrete slab house ,prefab leave it alone

Trusted Member
    I think you're right there Stewart.

You can also get internal insulation done now, normally free, if you've got what are known as 'Hard to treat' walls (solid or narrow cavity..ie less than 50mm).

External wall insulation usually runs out at about £6,500+ incidentally, if you have to pay full price.

Today I've been surveying walls fitted with 'Polyblocks'. That is normal cavity wall construction, but with a layer of Polyurethane attached to the outer face of the inner leaf of the wall, leaving a 50mm air gap.

These can now be insulated free of charge (non-means-tested).

Thread Information