Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member

Household goods being shipped by container

Hi,
    As a new member I'd like to post about my plans and methods of taking our personal stuff and household items across to our house in Cebu.
    I've been busy requesting quotes to ship a 20ft container from Scotland to the port of Cebu. I've found that it's not so easy to get a quote for a 'door to door' service with a container as it is with a BB box. This is maybe to do with the customs duties and taxes that will be to pay once it reaches the port ?
    So far I've secured a price of £1400 for a 'self load' 20footer,..taken to a local port and shipped to the port of Cebu.
    Then the tricky bit starts,...I've asked for quotes from many differant 'local forwarders/agents' (in Cebu )who will clear the container through customs and see to the duties and various other fees,...they ask anything from 60,000 peso to 80,000 peso.
    I haven't taken anyone's offer as yet, because I hear / read that it is possible to walk into the port and clear it yourself ??
    I know this will raise some red flags with some folk,..but surely it can't be so difficult ??
    There should be exemptions in place anyway as it will be in my wife's name who is a returning Balikbayan and the goods will be all in 'used' condition from out home here in UK.
    Any recommendations from other members ?
    I'm very open for any advise,..especially on something I have yet to experience myself !....

Jonny

cant help on this one, but you have herd the song , one piece at a time, johnny cash, well that may be the only safe way with the balikbayan boxes

Firstly, let me be honest and say I have not personally done that for Philippines.

Secondly I'll say that's a very very good price for a 20ft container, but then from what you've said it's down on the lower end of the range for a reason.

I do have experience of loading a 20 foot container.......don't underestimate that task, packing your stuff and loading a full container will be serious hard work.
    A standard 20ft container will have a volume of approx 38 cubic metres
    A Hi-Cube 20ft container has approx 43 cubic metres
    A 'half-height' 20ft container has approx 19 cubic metres

I've known a few friends who have paid around £4000 to ship to Philippines. That price also included around £500 insurance.
    The shipping companies they used did everything, they rolled up at the loading point (usually the house but depends on access) and loaded all the stuff.

All the stuff was actually pre-packed (wrapped and boxed etc) by us. Took the shipping guys between 3-5 hours to load up.

The shipper took care of all the paperwork (shipping, customs, documentations,local transportation,'other')
    They delivered right to their house in Philippines, although I know that they strongly suggested to be present when the container was unloaded to supervise and make sure that a watchful eye minimised carelessness and risk of damages. (so far I've not anyone suffer too much damage but also never known a case with zero damage)

If you're not sure you can actually fill up a 20 footer quite a few shippers will package up individual pallets and ship as consolidated cargo. Means you pay
    exactly for the volume of the goods and not simply on the volume of the container. Just food for thought.

I don't know how much research you've already done, but I think it's a benfit to take time and select those that best meet your own personal circumstances and needs.

The best response I can give is to help your own research by providing the following links to some organisations that are looking for your business. (just click on the highlighted links below)
    Just be sure you have a good idea on the volume of stuff you want to ship, the cost per cubic metre and the cost benefit of shipping (does the total shipping cost outweigh the cost of buying new)
    Obviously for some items the value is solely personal.

There's quite a lot of detail to consider and understand.

1st Move International (ShipIt)

Abels

Anglo Pacific

Bishop's Move

Britannia Movers International

Cambridge Removals & Storage

Excess International Movers

John Mason International

Movecorp

Pearson Home Moving

Pickfords

Robinsons

Simpsons

Sterling

White and Company

Just now I'm having a real good 'clear-out' at home with the objective to ship our stuff in Balikbayan Boxes.
    Anything that's too big for a BB but that we really do see the advantage in paying the shipping cost, well we'll ship it as palletised goods and consolidated cargo with one of the above organisations along with the BB boxes

It's an interesting journey for you..........please do keep us updated on how things progress for you. Lots of folks here will be very interested.

Trusted Member
    I investigated using a container before we moved to the Phils in 2000 (for three years).

Even then I think the minimum cost was around £2000.

At that price (+) it makes you consider exactly WHY you intend to ship certain items, many of which can be easily and cheaply purchased in the Phils.

In the end I managed to reduce our stuff to 6 large Balikbayan boxes for around £600, which arrived a couple of months later without drama, delivered to our door, and nothing touched or damaged.

Some items I'd left back home with relations.

I also gave my father 'power of attorney', just in case of any 'calamaties' while we were away...plus dealing with banks, etc.

Respected Member
    Yes I will keep everyone informed on how it works out. I've actually spoken to the shippers personaly on the phone and asked what they are actually doing for me. Seems simple to understand to me,..
    I realise there is a lot of packing to do,... but as I also work at weekends loading lorries at a warehouse I have access to hundreds of boxes and a telescopic Manitou to reach inside the container to load it.
    The reason we will be using a container is that I believe that the standard couches / sofa's which are sold over in Phils are more geared towards the smaller built people,...ie; lower back supports ,..and we have an almost new heavy suit that is so comfortable. Also our beds,...who can say they don't appreciate a good quality mattress ?
    We have 2 kids too which means we will be taking a lot of their toys with us,....it would cost quite a lot to replace the ones they have collected over the years.
    If I'm lucky to get the shipment through the port customs without any huge fees then I think I will be better off to take the goods with us.

Jonny

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyivy View Post
    ....If I'm lucky to get the shipment through the port customs without any huge fees then I think I will be better off to take the goods with us....
    Sounds like you got it well sorted Jonny...especially the packing and loading element

Regarding customs, tax and fees etc I just remembered that Executive Order No. 206 (ammendment to Section 105 of the Tariff and Customs Code of the Philippines) allows some special duty and tax free privileges for Returning Residents, Overseas Filipino Worker (OFW) and Former Filipino's.

There are conditions and restrictions (as always) but maybe helpful if you haven't already been made aware of it.

Here's the Bureau of Customs webpage with some details and numbers etc.

Respected Member
    Hi Terpe,....yup, I already read that info page,..thanks for the heads up anyway.
    BTW,...you seem like one hellova knowledgeable fella from what I can see so far.
    Thanks for your advice so far,

Jonny

Trusted Member
    That he is.

We're very lucky to have him.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    That he is.

We're very lucky to have him.
    Absolutely...I've told our Peter this via PM a while back

I hope he doesn't take any notice of the headcases what come and go on here either..They are not worth it

I just fortunate that I recently had a background with the civil service and a small understanding of UKBA......wish I'd have known more when I came back here with my wife.

They gave us one terrible tough time.....but that's all behind us now and we can look back and joke about.

I'm now very much retired and enjoying my different life. I did really miss my working life but a job that involves travelling away from home for long periods doesn't make for good relationships.

I've got time and motivation to help those folks who find themselves in the same position as I did. You meet your special person but it's on the other side of the planet.
    Immigration rules are complex and difficult to understand the nitty gritty of applications for visa.

Thanks for those kind words.

Banned
    Who ever gave me the rep, Thanks...please leave your names in the comment box so I can return the compliments

Trusted Member
    No.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    No.
    I thought as much ..Cheers

You can get a very good response if you contact directly B&N Lilley at http://bnlilley.com/ whom I am sure can offer some advice. They are superb with sending small boxes by container and could tell you possibly what it cost for a whole container.

Thread Information