Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

wifes employment or lack of it and spouse visa application

Hi all
    Another question !! I have just been told by a friend his wifes spouse visa has just been refused because his wife is not working in the philippines , this is a new one to me . I am concerned by this as my wife Monera has also not got a job and has not had one for the last 9 months .I have been sending her money to support her , is the fact she is not working a problem for the spouse visa not to be offered .

Mick

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Do you know the exact reason for refusal, exactly the one written on her refusal letter? Because if she's applying for a spouse visa, it doesn't matter if she's unemployed because it's the sponsor who must have a means of supporting her.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    Do you know the exact reason for refusal, exactly the one written on her refusal letter? Because if she's applying for a spouse visa, it doesn't matter if she's unemployed because it's the sponsor who must have a means of supporting her.
    Totally agree.
    That's correct. Employment Income of non-uk spouse does not form part of the visa application.

Mick, take a look at the application forms including Appendix 2 Financial Requirement. You'll not find any questions about the applicants employment or employment earnings, so please put that concern right out of your mind.

Perhaps your friend is meaning a visit visa ??

Certainly any employment detail in Philippines is totally immaterial when it comes to entering UK for settlement. Period.

Thank you so much for your replies , that has put my mind at rest .. We will be applying for the spouse visa in the new year ,that is when I shall of had the pay off from the ex in the bank for 6 months so at the moment just taking all the advice I can onboard . I have last month moved into a rented apartment moving out of a shared property , and spending to much money on getting it all ok for hopefully when Monera gets here !!! Will this be taken into account also when they receive the bank statements as more seams to be going out than coming in if I mention this in the supporting letter

Once again thank you so much for your help .

all the best to you

Mick

Mick, UKBA has no interest at all in your day-to-finances or what you spend your money on or whether you have an overdraft or even if you spend more than you earn etc. They also have no interest in any savings you may or may not have UNLESS you have the intention to use savings in the application to fill-in any shortfall of income, or if you will apply on the basis on cash savings alone.

Cash saving alone with no income will require £62k
    Using savings to make up any shortfall in the needed gross income of £18600 will mean only those amounts above £16k can be considered.

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mick foreman View Post
    Thank you so much for your replies , that has put my mind at rest .. We will be applying for the spouse visa in the new year ,that is when I shall of had the pay off from the ex in the bank for 6 months so at the moment just taking all the advice I can onboard . I have last month moved into a rented apartment moving out of a shared property , and spending to much money on getting it all ok for hopefully when Monera gets here !!! Will this be taken into account also when they receive the bank statements as more seams to be going out than coming in if I mention this in the supporting letter

Once again thank you so much for your help .

all the best to you

Mick
    Mick I stand to be corrected but the incomes and outgoings on the bank statement are not really a concern to the UKBA.

What is important to them is that you meet the financial requirement of £18,600 per year to sponsor a spouse/partner without children and if you do there should not be any problems.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Mick, UKBA has no interest at all in your day-to-finances or what you spend your money on or whether you have an overdraft or even if you spend more than you earn etc. They also have no interest in any savings you may or may not have
    Using savings to make up any shortfall in the needed gross income of £18600 will mean only those amounts above £16k can be considered.

Thanks for writing that, I had been wondering if they take savings into account.... I more than meet the criteria for the required income. However living on my own I have never really bothered to save! What I earn a month I spend.... Although the past 6 months I have been saving for my wedding and I am quite surprised what I can save when I want to!! However should they look at my savings they won't find much left after the wedding lol

Not cheap marrying your beloved mahal .

But very much worth it all as most of us guys on here would testify to that.

Trusted Member
    People are happy to spend a lot more on material possessions, cars, holidays abroad etc.

I suppose it's a matter of priorities.

So if they do not take the savings into account there is no point us waiting until Christmas to apply for spouse visa ????? We were waiting until x-mas because then my savings would of shown on my bank statements for 6 months and also I will of been in my apartment for 6 months . My earnings are around 24.700 plus overtime which takes this to just below 30,000 so I hope all is ok from an income point of view !! The overtime has been constant for the last 18 months and is set to continue well past Christmas .

So if they do not take the savings into account there is no point us waiting until Christmas to apply for spouse visa ????? We were waiting until x-mas because then my savings would of shown on my bank statements for 6 months and also I will of been in my apartment for 6 months . My earnings are around 24.700 plus overtime which takes this to just below 30,000 so I hope all is ok from an income point of view !! The overtime has been constant for the last 18 months and is set to continue well past Christmas .
    No Mick, no point in waiting. Time to get things moving along and have her home in UK for Christmas

Take a look here Mick for a refresher on what your need to prepare:-

All New Guide - How to apply for a Spouse/Partner Visa

English language requirement

Tuberculosis testing in the Philippines

Thanks so much for your help Terpe it is really really appreciated to be honest I would never have gotten this far if it was not for this forum , I just need to get the wife on here now !!

Cheers

Mick

Thanks so much for your help Terpe it is really really appreciated to be honest I would never have gotten this far if it was not for this forum , I just need to get the wife on here now !!

Cheers

Mick
    Be sure to read those links Mick. There's a good deal of paperwork to get together and most of it is down to you from your side.
    Don't rush it, take time to understand whats needed and ask as many questions as you need.

As I've said to others, it's often a good idea to download the application forms and get some dry runs in. That way you'll learn how to answer the appropriate questions and exactly those documents you've got and importantly those you still need to get.

In respect of cash savings

- All bank statements required to show the cash savings have been held in an account in the name of the applicant’s partner, the applicant or both jointly for at least the 6-month period prior to the application.

Note that the onus is on the applicant to demonstrate that the financial requirement is met in their case.
    Where they have not done so on the basis of the information and documentation they have submitted, the application for the 5-year family route to settlement will be refused.
    Caseworkers will not generally be expected to make further enquiries or request further information in an effort to establish whether the financial requirement is met.

Sorry to be a pain in the ass !! but this says all cash savings should show on bank statement for 6 months . Am I missing the point somewhere or just being dense ?

Cheers
    Mick

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    To me it reads 'that the applicant is the one who has to meet the financial requirement' not the sponsor'

In respect of cash savings

- All bank statements required to show the cash savings have been held in an account in the name of the applicant’s partner, the applicant or both jointly for at least the 6-month period prior to the application.

Note that the onus is on the applicant to demonstrate that the financial requirement is met in their case.
    Where they have not done so on the basis of the information and documentation they have submitted, the application for the 5-year family route to settlement will be refused.
    Caseworkers will not generally be expected to make further enquiries or request further information in an effort to establish whether the financial requirement is met.

Sorry to be a pain in the ass !! but this says all cash savings should show on bank statement for 6 months . Am I missing the point somewhere or just being dense ?

Cheers
    Mick
    Mick your getting yourself into a panic you can disregard cash savings as this is only applicable if you do not meet the financial requirement through employment.

As you obviously meet this then as Terpe said no point in waiting go for it, your not being dense and I know how you feel.

I know how stressful this situation is as I and many others have been down the same road but with help from the guys on here I am sure everything will be fine.

Wishing you all the best...

Thread Information