Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

working as a Nurse in UK

my Filipina girlfriend has passed the board nursing exam in the Philippines and has worked in Gov hospital there for a coule of years. We plan to get married in UK and she wants to work as a registered nurse in UK. Can anyone advice on what she will have to do to become a registered UK nurse?

Banned
    Hi jolyon - welcome to the forum. Read this and also put nursing into the search box. It should give you the necessary info

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....hlight=nursing

thanks Dedworth

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar
    Hi jolyon basically your wife has to pass IELTS academic at level 7 in all 4 categories which are reading, writing, speaking & listening.

As she has already practiced in the Phils then basically she does her IELTS then regsters with the NMC and receives her pin number to practice here...

oh great thanks.

I read she may have to do ONP? do you have to be working in a Hospital as a nurse to complete this ? or can you just enrol on a course and pay the fee?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jolyon View Post
    oh great thanks.

I read she may have to do ONP? do you have to be working in a Hospital as a nurse to complete this ? or can you just enrol on a course and pay the fee?
    Yes I don't think it is as straightforward as just getting the PIN and starting work - theres the IELTS, ONP/Adaption

http://www.nmc-uk.org/Registration/J...e-the-EU--EEA/

My Mrs was recruited in the good old days by the NHS in the Philippines so none of that nonsense applied to her.

This might be useful http://pnauk.org.uk/ The Philippine Nurses Association of United Kingdom (PNA-UK)

great thanks for your advice guys

does anyone know what job oppurtunities will be like for her when she comes to uk? she will be on a fiance visa for 6 months so cant work. then apply for a spouse visa after which she will be entitled to work. what are the chances of her getting job as a registered nurse? or will she have to work as a care assistant to get experience?

hi marksroomspain. thanks for reply. yes she has passed the IELTS and a few years experienc in a govt hosp in the Phils. im wondering if her Phils degree and work experience will be recognised by the NMC in the UK. I understand they make you do a final year of a uk nursing degree course if they dont recognise it. could be expensive!

Banned
    does anyone know what job oppurtunities will be like for her when she comes to uk? she will be on a fiance visa for 6 months so cant work. then apply for a spouse visa after which she will be entitled to work. what are the chances of her getting job as a registered nurse? or will she have to work as a care assistant to get experience?

http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar
    hi marksroomspain. thanks for reply. yes she has passed the IELTS and a few years experienc in a govt hosp in the Phils. im wondering if her Phils degree and work experience will be recognised by the NMC in the UK. I understand they make you do a final year of a uk nursing degree course if they dont recognise it. could be expensive!
    Hi there I forgot to mention the ONP but as far as your future wife is concerned her degree is recognised by the NMC and as long as she has at least 12 months practice in the Phils wish she has then a further year study here is not needed.

The reason I know so much about this is because my wife here in the UK is a Phils trained nurse and she is going through the procedure now of IELTS along with registration to NMC and then ONP.

Hope this helps and good luck...

thats good news. thanks for your reply, it is very useful. ive been trying to find out about onp. is it just a course you enrol for 20 days and then you can apply for jobs? or do you have to be working as a nurse to do it? i read that she may have to do supervised work for 6 months after that? but if she cant get a job as a nurse straight away how does she get the supervised work experience?
    good luck to you and your wife in NMC registration.

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    thats good news. thanks for your reply, it is very useful. ive been trying to find out about onp. is it just a course you enrol for 20 days and then you can apply for jobs? or do you have to be working as a nurse to do it? i read that she may have to do supervised work for 6 months after that? but if she cant get a job as a nurse straight away how does she get the supervised work experience?
    good luck to you and your wife in NMC registration.

ONP is a 3 to 6 months course in a University and not all universities offers this course. Once ONP being completed the NMC will then give her PIN number. The application for registration would range from 3-6months to 1 year.

oh great thanks for your advice Jillsand

Hi jolyon! I am a registered nurse in the UK and got my registration last year. If she already got her IELTS all she needs to do is to contact NMC and ask for a registration pack which will be posted to her. Then she needs to complete the application requirements. Once completed she will be given an NMC registration letter which she can then use to apply for her ONP. She doesn't need to be employed in order to enroll for an ONP programme because the school can provide places where you can have your training. But it is advisable to be employed because it will be easier for her in the end. You can contact your nearest NHS hospital or you can contact City University in London because they offer courses even if you are not living in London they will refer you to the nearest NHS hospital where you are located. If she wants to start soon her main priority will be the registration for the NMC she can start doing this even on fiance visa.
    Hope this helps.

thanks Julie thats very helpful. are you working as a nurse in UK now? what is the job market like? is it easy to get jobs?

Thread Information