Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Exclamation Dubai sentences Norwegian woman who reported rape

A Norwegian woman has spoken out about the 16-month prison sentence she received in Dubai after reporting a rape incident to police.

Source:-
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23381448

I have been to Dubai and liked it there, just as well though that I never had anyone to kiss anyhow
    Mick.

just what she needs after what she went through

Don't know how people could contemplate visiting these hell holes in view of their stone age laws.
    I do my best to even avoid landing in these Shiite holes on my way to Philippines.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmarco View Post
    Don't know how people could contemplate visiting these hell holes in view of their stone age laws.
    I do my best to even avoid landing in these Shiite holes on my way to Philippines.
    I'm with you on that one - won't even go to Turkey

She has been pardoned.

Dubai rape case Norwegian woman 'free to go'

A Norwegian woman at the centre of a Dubai rape case dispute has been pardoned and is free to leave Dubai, she has said.

Interior designer Marte Deborah Dalelv was on a business trip in Dubai when she says she was raped in March.

She reported the attack to the police, but was charged with perjury, having extramarital sex and drinking alcohol, receiving a 16-month prison sentence.

The case has angered rights groups and the Norwegian authorities.

Ms Dalelv had had her passport returned and was free to leave the country, a Norwegian official told the BBC. She was not being deported, and was expected to return to Norway in the next few days.

A worker at the Norwegian Seamen's Centre in Dubai, where Ms Dalelv has been allowed to stay since she was sentenced last week, said Ms Dalelv was "relieved and happy" at the news.

In Norway, Foreign Minister Espen Barth Eide tweeted: "Marte is released! Thanks to everyone who signed up to help."

The Norwegian government said it had been in daily contact with the Dubai authorities through diplomatic and official channels since Ms Dalelv was sentenced - arguing the jail term represented a human rights violation.

Ms Dalelv went public about the sentence last week in a series of interviews.

Night out

Ms Dalelv says she had been on a night out with colleagues on 6 March when the rape took place.

She reported it to the police, who proceeded to confiscate her passport and seize her money. She was charged four days later on three counts, including having sex outside marriage.

Her alleged attacker, she said, received a 13-month sentence for extramarital sex and alcohol consumption.

The man she accused of raping her - a colleague - has also been pardoned, a Norwegian official has said.

Despite developing fast as a cosmopolitan tourism destination in recent years, Dubai remains deeply conservative, and its strict laws have caught out foreigners in the past.

Public displays of affection and drunkenness are frowned upon.

Source:-
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23404042

Seems all involved have been pardoned, released and are free to leave Dubai.
    I guess none of us will discover what actually happened on that night.

Don't expect that the British Embassy will intervene to help you though.
    They have a policy and record of not getting involved with the justice system of any country.
    Unlike others who will involve themselves to protect and secure the rights of it's citizens.

Be warned.

Thread Information