Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Sixty Years Since The Coronation

Tomorrow, will mark the 60th anniversary of HM the Queen's Coronation. Therefore, in sharp contrast to my previous thread dealing with the somewhat sombre topic of "death before dementia" ... I felt it appropriate, somehow, to strike an infinitely more cheerful balance, by looking back at June 2, 1953 - a date heralding the start of a glorious new Elizabethan era - despite the many celebrations, nationwide, being held in atrocious weather conditions on a cold, damp Tuesday, 6 decades ago.

god bless the queen

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    god bless the queen
    Hear, hear !!

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Tomorrow, will mark the 60th anniversary of HM the Queen's Coronation. Therefore, in sharp contrast to my previous thread dealing with the somewhat sombre topic of "death before dementia" ... I felt it appropriate, somehow, to strike an infinitely more cheerful balance, by looking back at June 2, 1953 - a date heralding the start of a glorious new Elizabethan era - despite the many celebrations, nationwide, being held in atrocious weather conditions on a cold, damp Tuesday, 6 decades ago.
    Well posted Arthur

Looks as though the weather will be pretty fine nationwide.
    I'll drink to that.

Surprised at the lack of response to this thread ... WHERE are all 's Royalty fans???

... WHERE are all 's Royalty fans???
    ... mind you ... ... I suppose the number of our members who were even as much as a "twinkle in their mum's eyes" back in 1953, could probably be counted on one hand!

... mind you ... ... I suppose the number of our members who were even as much as a "twinkle in their mum's eyes" back in 1953, could probably be counted on one hand!
    Not many of us left Arthur

Just think of the changes we've been fortunate enough to witness in that time. Unbelievable

i am a yung un here, but lots have changed in my life so far, what will the future hold,well who knows but i have my thoughts and dreams ahead of me

god save the queen!

Trusted Member
    Thank you Arthur for posting this thread, certainly a contrast to your other recent thread ( Dying with dignity ) .

I’m one of the “ survivors “ who remember watching the Coronation – the first to be televised - on June 2, 60 years ago. My family watched on a TV set in a local hotel, with about 40 other guests. I was one of apparently 20 million people watching on 2 million TV sets, black and white ( naturally ) ! It was pouring with rain, although I understand the day had been picked because weather records had suggested June 2 was the sunniest day of the year. She arrived by coach, not parachuting out of a helicopter with James Bond !

Whatever one’s thoughts are on royalty, there is archive footage, on TV programmes around this date, some digitally remastered, surely of historical interest, and perhaps helpful for those attempting the “ Life in the UK “ test. One is “ The People’s Coronation “ on BBC One ( 9 pm, Monday 3 June ).

Thread Information