Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Getting re-married again in Philippines

Hello

Have a question. I was married to a filipina, then got her to the UK and then we are divorced now. I obtained my divorce in the UK. I met a different filipina and would like to get re-married in the Philippines.

I called the British Embassy in Manila, they said I am free to re-marry and it would be valid. They would issue the CNI and thats all I need..

However

1) Will the judge marrying us request a Cenomar also from me or just the CNI or it depends on the judge perfoming the marriage? I guess they may or may not ask for Cenomar from me? If I have CNI I think it will be ok?

2) After the marriage what would happen with the marriage contract? For the spouse visa I guess the UK embassy in manila would need to see a marriage certificate on NSO paper. Due to my previous marriage does anyone know if NSO would not issue it if they see my name or maybe they would just issue the marriage contract on NSO paper and assume its ok and not put any problem?

Prefer to get married in the Philippines rather than going to Hong Kong but just like to get these issues cleared up. If anyone can give their kind input or advise. Thanks

where's your first marriage took place??...I think you should ask your future 2nd wife-to-be to inquire to the local register(Philippines) on what documents you will be needing for your marriage.
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Yes she will ask the judge when she speaks to him on the exact requirements he will need...

you will need your divorce decree absolute

Hello... any more input on my original question from anybody that has gone through the same thing? hehe im inpatient but i just want to hear anymore help with this. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lovemanila View Post
    Hello... any more input on my original question from anybody that has gone through the same thing? hehe im inpatient but i just want to hear anymore help with this. Thanks!
    Just a re-check on the advice you already received.

As long as you have your UK Decree Absolute you'll be able to secure you UK CNI
    With the UK CNI you'll be able to exchange for the local Philippine CNI at the British Embassy.
    So far so good.

However..... be cautious of a potential 'banana skin' in line with that intimated by you and additionally mentioned by sars above

Many 'authorities' responsible for issuing a wedding licence have started to request the CENOMAR for the foreign party.
    Please do get your fiancee to :-

1. Just for completeness check your CENOMAR for correctness
    2. Check with the authority where you'll be getting the marriage licence if they will demand your CENOMAR

In order to minimise any risks relating to the issue of your Marriage Certificate please see this forum thread from sars -
    Advance Endorsement Birth ,Marriage and Death Certificate

Sorry if nothing new, just trying to help

Hello Terpe Thank you very much. Can you recommend any immigration advisory service here in the UK that you pay a fee for and they help to look over the application and give advise? Thank you

Trusted Member
    This forum is probably as good as anywhere, to be honest.

Ok. I checked with the british embassy and again they said im free to re-marry there. My only little concern was when it comes to getting the new marriage cert certified by NSO. I called NSO and they inform me that they wont deny my new marriage cert and that they will just issue it. They dont cross-reference between the 2 even I would have a previous record. They are there just to authenticate that its a genuine record. Phew! So can get my new marriage certificate. In Philippines when u speak to a lawyer they say you need annulment or petition for divorce. They all want money, and really its just to change a record with NSO... but doesnt matter as they just issue the new marriage cert anyway on NSO paper without problems.. Thanks

Yes she will ask the judge when she speaks to him on the exact requirements he will need...
    ???

Ok. I checked with the british embassy and again they said im free to re-marry there. My only little concern was when it comes to getting the new marriage cert certified by NSO. I called NSO and they inform me that they wont deny my new marriage cert and that they will just issue it. They dont cross-reference between the 2 even I would have a previous record. They are there just to authenticate that its a genuine record. Phew! So can get my new marriage certificate. In Philippines when u speak to a lawyer they say you need annulment or petition for divorce. They all want money, and really its just to change a record with NSO... but doesnt matter as they just issue the new marriage cert anyway on NSO paper without problems.. Thanks
    Lovemanila, you didnt answer the question ...wheres your first marriage took place ? what is your nationality? who filed the petition for the divorce ? have you got the divorce decree absolute?

your fiance needs to speak to the local registrars office for the requirements of marriage not the judge...
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

The 1st marriage was in philippines. The divorce was here in the UK and my ex wife is still in UK.... Just for clarification. Thanks

Im british... thanks

Trusted Member
    Similar circumstances to myself....if I get wed again.

To my mind the ONLY issue that needs to be resolved is that one your raised right at the start.

Will the authority that issues the marriage licence require you to produce a CENOMAR.
    If no then you have no issues

If yes, then you need to take some rectification.

Please don't think I mean to be confrontational. That's not the case. I mean no offence, like others here, just trying to help with the issues/questions that worried you.

Ok. I checked with the british embassy and again they said im free to re-marry there.
    I doubt very much that the British Embassy said that to you. How could the British Embassy know that?

The British Embassy can only follow procedure and provide a local CNI in exchange for a UK issued CNI in accordance with Philiippine legal requirements.

Here's what the British Embassy formally state:-

The CNI is an indispensable requirement of Philippine law and in March 1993, the Civil Registrar General ruled that any marriage which takes place without such a Certificate having been issued will be null and void. However, a CNI does not confirm that a particular marriage is recognized under UK law, nor does it give confirmation that no impediment actually exists. There is no central register of marriages in the UK, nor is there any facility for overseas marriages to be registered in the UK.
    As long as you can secure a UK issued CNI and you state to the British Embassy that you're free to marry, they will believe you and will issue the required
    Philippine version to you. Period.

The British Embassy only follow established procedure in line with their statement above.

...My only little concern was when it comes to getting the new marriage cert certified by NSO. I called NSO and they inform me that they wont deny my new marriage cert and that they will just issue it. They dont cross-reference between the 2 even I would have a previous record. They are there just to authenticate that its a genuine record. Phew! So can get my new marriage certificate...
    Well, in principle this is correct. Just as in most countries, including the UK.

... In Philippines when u speak to a lawyer they say you need annulment or petition for divorce. They all want money, and really its just to change a record with NSO... but doesnt matter as they just issue the new marriage cert anyway on NSO paper without problems.. Thanks
    I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. But just for the record here's what I believe the lawyers may be advising:-

1. If you’re a Filipino national, it doesn’t matter where in the world you file for divorce as Petitioner, such divorce is not recognised as valid in the Philippines. Period

From what you've said previously you are a British Citizen who filed for divorce (petitioner) in UK.

Means that the above does not apply and the UK issued Divorce can be legally accepted and recognised under Philippine Law following specified procedures.

2. If a foreign national files for the divorce and has given the Philippine spouse a registered copy of the final divorce decree, both foreign national and the Philippine spouse can remarry again within the legal boundaries of the Philippines.

After complying with the specified procedure in having the foreign decree of divorce judicially recognized in the Philippines, the Filipino spouse may validly remarry.

In principle this does not apply in your case since your ex-wife is not residing in the Philippines.

However, there is some evidence to suggest that if your ex-wife is not free to re-marry in the Philippines then neither are you.

IMO You need to be 100% certain of your position in the Philippines.

3. A CENOMAR ( Certificate of No Marriage Record) is available from the Philippines National Statistics Office (NSO) and is simply what its name implies.

It is a certification issued by the NSO stating that a person has not contracted any marriage within the Philippines.

Now as I understand you have contracted a marriage within the Philippines. It therefore follows that you may well have a record of marriage at the NSO

So full circle to you original concern.

a) Does the authority who will issue the marriage licence to you require to see YOUR CENOMAR??

Maybe or maybe not. Find out.

b) Probably better (and faster) to just get your CENOMAR (If there is one) and see what it actually states.

You can get it online here at:-
    https://www.ecensus.com.ph/Default.aspx

You can even have it delivered to your fiancee.

It's up to you.

Technically as a divorced foreigner with a vaild divorce you may re-marry anywhere.
    The problem is that if you are required to produce a valid CENOMAR, you may not be able to do so without some simple rectification at NSO

Personally I wouldn't wait until someone requests your CENOMAR and then you discover a glitch.

Sorry, I made a long post to a simple issue. But COULD be an important one.

So my girlfriend needs to check with the issuing authority if a cenomar is needed. And maybe we need to request a cenomar to check if it says im married or not... OK.. thank you

Banned
    Hello

Have a question. I was married to a filipina, then got her to the UK and then we are divorced now. I obtained my divorce in the UK. I met a different filipina and would like to get re-married in the Philippines.

I called the British Embassy in Manila, they said I am free to re-marry and it would be valid. They would issue the CNI and thats all I need..

However

1) Will the judge marrying us request a Cenomar also from me or just the CNI or it depends on the judge perfoming the marriage? I guess they may or may not ask for Cenomar from me? If I have CNI I think it will be ok?

2) After the marriage what would happen with the marriage contract? For the spouse visa I guess the UK embassy in manila would need to see a marriage certificate on NSO paper. Due to my previous marriage does anyone know if NSO would not issue it if they see my name or maybe they would just issue the marriage contract on NSO paper and assume its ok and not put any problem?

Prefer to get married in the Philippines rather than going to Hong Kong but just like to get these issues cleared up. If anyone can give their kind input or advise. Thanks
    As long as it was YOU who divorced your wife in the UK you won't have a problem. ...on the other hand. .If it was your wife who divorced you The Philippines won't recognise that divorce. ..I was in that situation in 2009.....in other words you must of been the petitioner.
    Good Luck
    Btw. ...Welcome to the forum.

Trusted Member
    Oh dear.

It's a single life for me then.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Oh dear.

It's a single life for me then.
    Graham, don't take what i say as Gospel. .This happened to me in 2009. .as Terpe already pointed out to me, the game's completely changed since then. ..and what with the pretty chick installed as head of state, things could well change. ...let's hope so Graham. .For your sake

Trusted Member
    Well, when the ex buggered off I just let her get on with it...waited for the divorce papers (her expense), signed and sent back. Didn't even bother to read the lies that her solicitor had told her to write. No mention of her adultery of course.

I just wanted to keep seeing my son.

That was 2006 when it came through, after 3 years apart.

She went to Sweden in early 2008, kindly 'donating' the boy to me.

She re-married...to a Swedish bloke, about 2010 I think.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Graham, I remember you said that when your ex-wife divorced you, she's already British..so don't worry you're safe..your divorce would be recognise in the Philippines.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Trusted Member
    I'm not sure EXACTLY when she got her British Citizenship Rayna...as I wasn't involved in the process of course.

I seem to think it was AFTER the divorce.

How could I find out ?

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    I'm not sure EXACTLY when she got her British Citizenship Rayna...as I wasn't involved in the process of course.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Banned
    I wanna spill my heart out Graham but I can't. .they have leverage.
    You weren't to know Graham, I would of done the same thing..what was important was keep seeing your son. .nothing else matters. .it's hell Graham. .Goodness, you wasn't thinking what if I wanna marry a filipina in the Philippines again. .I know i wouldn't of been thinking about that. .like you, only your son was uppermost in your mind.

Trusted Member
    Yeah, you're right.

Sort of brings it all back...the hell.

Chins up, eh.

Banned

I seem to think it was AFTER the divorce.

How could I find out ?
    Look at your decree absolute Graham. .like my ex wife, it will state her nationality....This is the only proof the Philippine authorities will need.
    I could dig mine out and email it.

Trusted Member
    Oh, thanks, yes of course.

I never got the decree nisi or whatever it's called, becuae it would have gone to my old address.

I was only given a weeks notice by the ex that she was pissing off abroad, and it was up to me to move 60 miles south and find a new home for my son and I, near enough to his school, etc.

I would have moved mountains for him, so I managed.

...Suppose I'll have to enquire at the court here for my decree wotsitsname.

Banned
    Oh, thanks, yes of course.

I never got the decree nisi or whatever it's called, becuae it would have gone to my old address.

I was only given a weeks notice by the ex that she was pissing off abroad, and it was up to me to move 60 miles south and find a new home for my son and I, near enough to his school, etc.

I would have moved mountains for him, so I managed.

...Suppose I'll have to enquire at the court here for my decree wotsitsname.
    Decree Absolute. ..that's the one you gotta take to The Philippines to marry your princess!
    My chin is up Graham. ..I'm resolved to do right.

Trusted Member
    Ah, ok thanks.

Onwards and upwards for both of us then eh.

Trusted Member
    My 'light at the end of the tunnel' (with his Finnish girlfriend).

Banned
    You done good Graham. .you must be very proud of him ...a lasting legacy. ..no doubt you'll have grandchildren named after you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information